Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane Masking

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:22 pm

Honestly theres no way to put this genie back in the bottle they could try and there would be mass chaos. As most of the articles i read this morning on it state its tied in to the testing requirement and not wanting to get rid of that now that masks are gone.

Frankly I don’t know what the big deal is if you want to wear a mask wear one if you dont live your life. I wore mine on my flight yesterday (was prob 1 in maybe 3 in F on a A319) no one said a thing, no one cared, everyone just went on as normal but i look forward to the day i can get rid of it and will keep mine on for now since so much of my travel is international or positioning flights for an INTL leg and dont want to risk getting stuck but might join the maskless folks once the testing requirement is gone
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:45 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't know what percentage of Americans "stand with the DOJ," but a poll taken in April indicates that a majority of Americans support masking on airplanes:

https://news.uchicago.edu/story/majo...t-survey-finds
I’m guessing most Americans don’t fly, or very rarely, and it’s easy to say you want rules in place they won’t effect you. Try doing that poll in an airport.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by PxC
Try doing that poll in an airport.
in Texas

Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't know what percentage of Americans "stand with the DOJ," but a poll taken in April indicates that a majority of Americans support masking on airplanes:

https://news.uchicago.edu/story/majo...t-survey-finds
Even back then it wasn’t even close to a majority of people wearing masks. The second airlines said it wasn’t required most people tossed them. And of course if you ask people who aren’t flying if they support a mask mandate they’ll say yes. I’d love to see who they sampled on that poll. Sample a bunch of people who spend their day working from home and their free time on Reddit will have quite a different response than your average American.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by TravelForum
Who is ‘we’?

You represent about 10% of the population. An insignificant minority.
56%, we, the thoughtful majority....
Old Jun 1, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by enviroian
in Texas

even at Sfo / sna I saw many unmasked people including me. So happy to legally not mask.
ksucats and volabam like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
And of course if you ask people who aren’t flying if they support a mask mandate they’ll say yes.
Why do you suppose that is?

​​​​​​"I’d love to see who they sampled on that poll. Sample a bunch of people who spend their day working from home and their free time on Reddit will have quite a different response than your average American."

I have no idea who got sampled, but here is some information about the organization that conducted the poll:

https://apnorc.org/about/
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by PxC
Has there been some horrific outbreak of Covid on planes in the US since people have been unmasked?
So, I'd note that cases are up about 3x since the mandate was dropped (they were bouncing around 190-250k/week, give or take, at the time the mandate was dropped and hit 787k/week the week before last; the drop this past week may be from Florida having gone from weekly reporting to a more erratic reporting schedule). Now, trying to connect cause-and-effect is trickier...if I had to guess, the "real" cause has been a generalized breakdown in observing any sort of rules outside of some very specific contexts (e.g. a number of science fiction conventions have kept rules in place). As any statistician can tell you, correlation is not causation.
enviroian, LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:56 pm

As GrayAnderson and t325 already alluded to the Justice Department is pursuing this not to immediately reimplement the mask mandate but give this or another administration the ability to do so in the future. As I understand it, if it's not challenged then effectively the CDC's power to so going forward is diminished. Unfortunately the Biden administration should've seen the writing on the wall and withdrawn the mandate before the District Court judge made their judgement thus avoiding this situation. They did something similar by continuing eviction moratorium extensions which the Supreme Court eventually stopped.

Last edited by mguinness; Jun 1, 2022 at 3:01 pm
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
56%, we, the thoughtful majority....
If you actually visit an airport or get on a plane, 8 seconds would tell you that’s total horse manure.

We flew last weekend. Between the airports and planes, it was no more than 10% that had them.

That is the reality, not some dimwited poll.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I do smell the horse manure from our fellow travelers, literal and metaphorical, that's why I keep the mask on...
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
New variants, Cases are going up, summer travel is pent up vertical, and masks need to be required again. If you don't like the rules, then don't get on the plane. Use another method of transportation [Moderator edit.]
nk15 likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 1, 2022 at 4:09 pm Reason: To keep the post constructive, per FT Rules.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Originally Posted by sxc7885
Frankly I don’t know what the big deal is if you want to wear a mask wear one if you dont live your life. I wore mine on my flight yesterday (was prob 1 in maybe 3 in F on a A319) no one said a thing, no one cared, everyone just went on as normal but i look forward to the day i can get rid of it and will keep mine on for now since so much of my travel is international or positioning flights for an INTL leg and dont want to risk getting stuck but might join the maskless folks once the testing requirement is gone
Agreed. I was recently sitting next to a guy in F who was both masked and goggled. I happened to be wearing a politically-themed shirt to celebrate my first unmasked trip, and it drew a standing ovation from the vast majority of the cabin. I thought he might be uncomfortable, but instead, he was eagerly striking up conversation with me throughout most of the flight. He had underlying health conditions and had spent so much time at home, so it seemed like he was really happy to be traveling again.

Our two worlds can co-exist after all!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Consider this - I flew on Sunday night, wearing a mask in the Uber, at the airport, and on the plane. Tuesday morning, I tested positive for Covid and have been ill since. No one else in F was wearing a mask. I could have infected 11 other people without knowing it. I guess some people just don't care if the get Covid.
ithinkurdumb, nk15 and DoB840 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: delta skymiles
I think some of you are missing the point. It’s pretty doubtful that the feds want to reinstate the mask mandate now. If they did, this appeal would have been rushed through on an emergency basis. Rather, they want the ability to impose mask rules again in the future if circumstances dictate (new disease, new variant, etc.)
lobo411 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.