Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

I need help troubleshooting. Kid positive in Dublin.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need help troubleshooting. Kid positive in Dublin.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Ok so my 22 year old twins are in Dublin. They arrived on Tuesday morning. They did not wear masks on the plane from BOS to DUB. She turned symptomatic yesterday, and they are due to depart Dublin on Monday.

She tested positive today— a strong positive that came up immediately. He is playing golf, so I’m getting him to take a test when he gets back to the hotel. He feels totally fine.

He starts an internship next week, so if he remains negative, he probably needs to come home.

OK. So I need help figuring out what to do. I’m not at my house but taking care of my mom in New Orleans. Do I fly over there? DH is coming here tomorrow, so I sent him a list of things to bring me like luggage, clothes, passport etc.

Rent a car and a air BNB? She wonders why I need to go, but wouldn’t you all go if this was your kid? Would anyone leave a 22 year old young woman there alone with Covid? I have to go, right? Luckily, there is availability and prices aren’t bad.

I need suggestions on what to do. Thanks.

By the way, because I did comment on the bribe you way out thread, I would never consider that now because she is symptomatic and that is a strong line that came up immediately, so she has a larger viral load than say my husband did at NYE.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 27, 2022 at 5:09 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old May 27, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
There is a good chance that your daughter will be feeling perfectly fine again before you even get there. You mentioned she was symptomatic - how bad is it? Do you think she will require medical help?
I wouldn't necessarily rush there - chances are you will end up catching your own case of covid, and nobody would be helped with that.
My opinion (and of course it's just an opinion and not fully knowing the situation and everyone involved): If she is well enough to not need medical care and she isn't asking you to come, then don't go...nobody will be helped and it puts your own health at risk
Old May 27, 2022, 11:26 am
Original Poster

I agree somewhat. I received my second booster shot at the end of April, so with that and double masking, I would assume I’ll be ok. (I understand though that this could be an issue with everyone who flies over there ending up with Covid).

She can’t fly back for 10 days now. That is the issue. She has to check out of the hotel on Monday morning and leave Dublin (I used points and hotels are $350-$550 a night) and she can’t rent a car because of her age. I don’t think she should get on a bus or Uber.

Ok, it looks like a new accommodation will be covered under trip insurance since it is because of a covered illness, up to 3k. That is a relief. Her brother isn’t home from golf yet, so Idk his Covid status yet.

I’m going to fly over there on Sunday. DH is a doctor and he insists I go in case she gets worse.

I’m leaving on Sunday. Jet blue/aer lingus codeshare. Basic economy $1700. I guess that price could be worse; I paid $1200 for each of them. I wanted to do aer lingus so she and I can fly back together.

Her brother is negative today.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 27, 2022 at 5:09 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old May 27, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by whitewave
I’m leaving on Sunday. Jet blue/aer lingus codeshare. Basic economy $1700. I guess that price could be worse; I paid $1200 for each of them. I wanted to do aer lingus so she and I can fly back together.

No miles available to you? On Sunday, AA has MSY-DUB and BTR-DUB available one-way in Economy for 30,000 AAdvantage miles. Several one-stop options offered.

Aer Lingus usually has inexpensive one-way fares available between Europe and the U.S. But I'm not sure if that is the case when you combine EI with B6.
whitewave likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
No miles available to you? On Sunday, AA has MSY-DUB and BTR-DUB available one-way in Economy for 30,000 AAdvantage miles. Several one-stop options offered.

Aer Lingus usually has inexpensive one-way fares available between Europe and the U.S. But I'm not sure if that is the case when you combine EI with B6.

thanks, I was rushing so just booked. I had checked one way with United and got side tracked. I’ll revisit this. I only have 14k miles with United. I think I have more with aa but would have to check.

United has a flight with a 57 minute connection in DC, so not sure if that is advisable, kinda tight.

I spoke to my daughter earlier and she was very clearly short of breath, but she says it’s because her nose is so stuffy. We want her to go see a doc and trip insurance needs an official form saying she is positive. They will have to do that tomorrow.

ok. Let me check my miles with AA and see what my options are. I already booked aer lingus, but maybe they have a 24 hour cancel policy?

ETA: I have 37,760 miles with AA
Old May 27, 2022, 3:04 pm

Expect a positive test for him soon. Took 4 days for everyone in our family to turn positive on rapid tests. Some weren't even testing positive until the days after symptoms started.
whitewave likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks, I was rushing so just booked. I had checked one way with United and got side tracked. I’ll revisit this. I only have 14k miles with United. I think I have more with aa but would have to check.

United has a flight with a 57 minute connection in DC, so not sure if that is advisable, kinda tight.

I spoke to my daughter earlier and she was very clearly short of breath, but she says it’s because her nose is so stuffy. We want her to go see a doc and trip insurance needs an official form saying she is positive. They will have to do that tomorrow.

ok. Let me check my miles with AA and see what my options are. I already booked aer lingus, but maybe they have a 24 hour cancel policy?

ETA: I have 37,760 miles with AA
You'd have to check to see whether EI offers a 24-hour refund policy on a close-in booking such as the one you have.

AA award bookings are fully refundable up until time of departure.
whitewave and nk15 like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCJoe1
Expect a positive test for him soon. Took 4 days for everyone in our family to turn positive on rapid tests. Some weren't even testing positive until the days after symptoms started.
yes, he is cranky as hell today so I suspect it’s coming for him also. They might have gotten it from his uni graduation on Saturday.

I might be stuck with Aer lingus:

Cancellations / Refunds

• Fares are nonrefundable, except that if the reservation is cancelled within 24 hours after it was made, the amounts will be refunded provided the reservation was made one week or more prior to departure.

I’m flying in 2 days so the reservation was not made one week prior to departure. DH said not to worry about the cost, but yeah…. 😬
Old May 27, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might be stuck with Aer lingus:

Cancellations / Refunds

• Fares are nonrefundable, except that if the reservation is cancelled within 24 hours after it was made, the amounts will be refunded provided the reservation was made one week or more prior to departure.

I’m flying in 2 days so the reservation was not made one week prior to departure. DH said not to worry about the cost, but yeah…. 😬
Yes, I was afraid of that. You could call EI and ask if they will make an exception (has your ticket even been issued yet?), but I would be prepared for disappointment.
whitewave likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, it looks like a new accommodation will be covered under trip insurance since it is because of a covered illness, up to 3k. That is a relief. Her brother isn’t home from golf yet, so Idk his Covid status yet.

I’m going to fly over there on Sunday. DH is a doctor and he insists I go in case she gets worse.

What can you do that Irish medico's cannot?
What happens if you get positive?
They are adults
The other thread-->My kids are headed to Ireland on the 23rd
Old May 27, 2022, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

guv1976 i have not gotten my ticket yet, but It also took a day for EI to get back to me on Twitter about hooking their FF miles to their tickets. I’m probably just going to leave well enough alone and thank goodness we live below our means so that I can run out to Dublin with 2 days notice.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What can you do that Irish medico's cannot?
What happens if you get positive?
They are adults
The other thread-->My kids are headed to Ireland on the 23rd

I can go so I am going. I might move her to an air BNB from the hotel (which I think is booked next week)… and they can’t rent a car, so she will need help. You know when you are sick, things are hard to figure out and it’s hard to think etc. if her brother stays negative (doubtful) then he will fly back when he can. I don’t think she should use public transportation right now.

currently, her fever is gone but she has chills.

I don’t have my ticket yet, so I just sent a DM to EI on Twitter to see if I can cancel the ticket to do one way AA miles and EI back hone. Thanks for that suggestion.
guv1976 likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 27, 2022 at 5:06 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 27, 2022, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t have my ticket yet, so I just sent a DM to EI on Twitter to see if I can cancel the ticket to do one way AA miles and EI back hone. Thanks for that suggestion.
Confirmed award availability with AA miles? AA have saver & dynamic award pricing. If on BA will be a cash surcharge
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c%3Ablu...=bm&PW=3&DU=mi
whitewave likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

I just perused, but it looks to be 30k miles on aa with $5.25 surcharge.I didn’t get all into the booking until I know I can cancel EI ticket.

Ok, the hotel situation is slim. I’m looking Dublin May 30-June 6. The one they are in is booked (for more than one bed… and I assume he will turn positive before Monday so searching for 3 people). Looking at air BNB next.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 27, 2022 at 5:06 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old May 27, 2022, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That might work, since you would not be asking for a refund: you would only asking for the "sale" to be cancelled before your credit card is charged. But don't count your chickens just yet.

I would at least try to put the AA award itinerary on a complimentary hold now, while the availability is still there.
whitewave, nk15 and DCJoe1 like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Wait, who is DH?
aztimm, whitewave and jhawk0202 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.