Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Need two weeks between booster and travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs

Hi all--

Quick question for anyone in the know: wife and I are heading to Germany before the South Caucasus in a couple weeks, but we also qualify to get a second booster. I think I remember reading here that that some countries required two weeks between booster and travel to be considered fully vaccinated. Obviously won't matter for Georgia or Armenia, but I worry about Germany. Am I correct in my memory, or do I have this wrong? Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:04 pm

I don’t think it matters if it’s your second booster.
N1120A and GUWonder like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Think it's only for the first booster, the effectiveness of the second one is still somewhat controversal.
N1120A likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:43 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by dwugson
Think it's only for the first booster, the effectiveness of the second one is still somewhat controversal.
The effectiveness is not really controversial at all: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2201570

With a 3.5x reduction in severe COVID for over 60s it does make a difference. The controversy is timing and optimizing cost-benefit because, like the flu vaccine, the optimal time to take it may be before major winter holidays when past outbreaks have happened rather than on the tail end of the last wave in the spring.
N1120A, GUWonder, Smiley90 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:00 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Second booster isn't relevant to getting any sort of vaccination pass in Europe, for those places that still require such.
GUWonder and Davvidd like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Germany doesn’t require US passport-using visitors to have four Covid-19 shots to enter Germany from the US. I have been going in and out using a two-shot vaccine card since Q2 2021 and never even pulled out any third shot stuff for entering the Schengen zone from the US.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by N1120A
Second booster isn't relevant to getting any sort of vaccination pass in Europe, for those places that still require such.
I'm sorry, I must haven't been clear. I know that the second booster is not required for entry. I just didn't know if we opt to get one if it needs to be spaced two weeks--it sounds like it doesn't matter. Thanks for the help, everyone!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:10 am

I think it depends on whether your second vaccine was more than 270 days ago. If your second shot was within that limit then your booster doesn’t count, it can be any time. However if you have exceeded that limit, then your booster is now the final shot and the rule says it must be at least 14 days before entry. This is just my interpretation, I do not know if it is correct.
N1120A likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:24 am

Also, on the issue of a second booster, being 71 and having received the first booster in October, I chose to get the second booster this week. The second booster reaches maximum effectiveness after 4 weeks, which will be right in the middle of my trip to Germany.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by northinsouth
I'm sorry, I must haven't been clear. I know that the second booster is not required for entry. I just didn't know if we opt to get one if it needs to be spaced two weeks--it sounds like it doesn't matter. Thanks for the help, everyone!
Originally Posted by Hornetcoach
I think it depends on whether your second vaccine was more than 270 days ago. If your second shot was within that limit then your booster doesn’t count, it can be any time. However if you have exceeded that limit, then your booster is now the final shot and the rule says it must be at least 14 days before entry. This is just my interpretation, I do not know if it is correct.
This is correct for those countries still requiring up to date vaccination. Second shot or first booster must be within 270 days.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:49 am
Fcc

Effectiveness is the key. My Dr. told me to get my second booster two weeks before my trip to Israel. I am 72. I have since heard that the effectiveness drops pretty much after six weeks.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Germany recognises boosters from the day of the jab, no delay.

But right now only the two original jabs are required to be "fully vaccinated".

Later this year (Oct 1st) a booster requirement will come into force but that is only for a first booster, not a second one.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:01 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by dwugson
It's only controversial as far as necessity among younger folks. The fact that standards and timeline for administration are so different, however, makes applying such a standard problematic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.