Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Who will fly less since there is no more US mask mandate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

As soon as I heard that the US mask mandate on planes and in airports was gone, I immediately booked trips in private rooms on Amtrak for my weekly commute instead of flying.

Yes, Amtrak doesn’t use HEPA filters, but being in my own enclosed room with a door seems relatively safe, particularly if I wear my own mask while in my room.

Anyone else plan to take trains (in your own room), drive or, best of all, stay home as much as possible from now on, with no more US mask mandate?
FlyerEC and Barrheadlass like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I will fly more as a result of the mandate being lifted.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:24 pm

Will fly much more with mandate being lifted.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Flying on a transcon this week for no reason at all just to celebrate
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:57 pm

I will be flying more.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:01 pm

I flew quite a bit during the pandemic and can't imagine I'd fly less. Once they soften up the test requirement to reenter, I'll fly more miles, though maybe not as many segments. The mask mandate didn't really alter my behavior, and neither will this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I didn't get vaxxed and boosted just to stay home. Plus, I imagine the air on a plane is a lot cleaner than the air in my crowded, poorly ventilated classroom that I have been working in for two years.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
The only way I would fly less is when the demand gets so high, fares get even higher and availability is nil. Summer fares look pretty rough right now.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I will probably fly the same as well. As a somewhat older, immune compromised individual, I waited until I was vaccinated and started traveling again. I'm not crazy about wearing a mask all the time in airports and on planes unless the temperature is maintained comfortably cool, but I did it and will probably still wear them depending on the situation. With the latest variants and the negative test requirements before boarding flights back to the US has kept me from international travel though. I just went to Hawaii twice in two months instead of Mexico which was my first choice, but didn't want to chance being stuck there longer than planned. I have international flights currently planned for June to Dubai, September to Tahiti, and November to Australia hoping the requirement to test is gone by then...
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
As soon as I heard that the US mask mandate on planes and in airports was gone, I immediately booked trips in private rooms on Amtrak for my weekly commute instead of flying.

Yes, Amtrak doesn’t use HEPA filters, but being in my own enclosed room with a door seems relatively safe, particularly if I wear my own mask while in my room.

Anyone else plan to take trains (in your own room), drive or, best of all, stay home as much as possible from now on, with no more US mask mandate?
Absolutely more.

I support you to do what you want, but the fact is, you’re in a very small minority. Airlines will gain far more business than it will lose by not imposing mask mandates.

[Removed unduly personalized comment- mod]
Sjoerd, cruisr, ksucats and 22 others like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 19, 2022 at 10:40 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I think everyone has to make their own decisions based upon what their comfort level is. I am not going to criticize anyone for traveling maskless, with a mask, or taking precautions or staying home. I just know what I am comfortable with.

I have followed the science, the advice of my doctor, and discussions with medical people. What works for me doesn't work for other people. The precautions I take might not be seen as necessary by some people, and others might think they should take more precautions. And that is all fine.

I don't know what other people are going through, what health problems or concerns that they might have, or what health problems or concerns their family might have. I live alone, so I know my risks don't impact others as much as if I had a baby at home, or a spouse with medical issues, or elderly parents that I take care of. All of that would change my risk calculations, so I won't criticize others for having a different risk aversion. I don't think they are 'scared of their shadow', because I don't know their particular situation.

We knew it would eventually come down to this point where we each have to decide our own risk calculations in how to live with Covid (on top of everything else). In my mind, its important to understand that not everyone has the same risk calculation as I do. And to respect their decisions.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelForum
Absolutely more.

I support you to do what you want, but the fact is, you’re in a very small minority. Airlines will gain far more business than it will lose by not imposing mask mandates.

I’ve been out and about more than many people. I’ve just used common sense to stay safe.

I’ve been going to the office and gym basically every day even during the pandemic (except when the gym was closed).

I’ve work a mask everywhere, including on planes and trains, and at the office, gym and church.

With masks, getting vaccinated the first week it was available and getting a booster, I haven’t gotten sick at all since February 2020.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 19, 2022 at 10:41 pm
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:24 pm

In the long run, the only people who will be flying less are the unvaccinated people who have been avoiding flying because of the mandates, as they are the ones most likely to die of covid, which will certainly be spreading rampantly on the maskless flights.. The biggest effect this will have on the rest of us is that more of us will be getting stuck overseas after getting infected on our maskless flight abroad. Until they rescind the test requirement, I will absolutely be masking up for any international flight. The testing mandate is far more disruptive and stressful than the masking mandate, which is merely an annoyance for most rational people.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Already booked 3 extra flights i didn't want to deal with masks - but no mask - more flights
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
No more or less than I originally planned after being vaxxed. Masking didn’t bother me either way.

My company lifted all travel restrictions April 4th so I’ll be at the will of customers and work. I had my personal travel duties all planned out already

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.