Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

With USA mask mandate ending, will the USA entry COVID test go away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

With USA mask mandate ending, will the USA entry COVID test go away?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by kmersh
Personally, when things become a farce, they need to go or else the entire premise of the idea and any associated benefit is lost because it just looks silly.

My wife flew home from the UK yesterday, she took the test, the person on the other end of the phone proctoring the test asked her what the test read, she could have said anything and the proctor would not have know.

In my wife's case it was negative, but seriously if it is on your honor to tell the proctor the outcome of the test than what is the point. Folks will lie, simple as that.

The virus is here, what are we trying to stop at this point?
Every proctored test I've done is a video chat where they look at the test result (although if it's a faint positive line, a crappy webcam and bad lighting would hide it). Is there a test where they don't actually monitor you on video?
enviroian likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by kmersh
The virus is here, what are we trying to stop at this point?
Filling the hospitals and having people die.

Stop at red works because otherwise people would get run over.

Sure, it may be irritating that your test tesult doesn’t get checked, but that’s not really why we do it. I would also rather not have to use the insurance that I pay for.
GUWonder and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by t325
Every proctored test I've done is a video chat where they look at the test result (although if it's a faint positive line, a crappy webcam and bad lighting would hide it). Is there a test where they don't actually monitor you on video?
Yes, the same online proctored test, if you turn off your camera and say you are having technical issues or have a bad wifi connection etc (on the second result-checking call), they'll just ask you to describe what you see and trust whatever you tell them.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Since I doubt this is going away in the next 10 days, is there a list of approved home tests one can do before returning to the US? I don't want to shell out more $ for another round of this farce than I have to.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Since I doubt this is going away in the next 10 days, is there a list of approved home tests one can do before returning to the US? I don't want to shell out more $ for another round of this farce than I have to.
If you buy your own covid test kit (or obtain a free one from your insurance) Azova.com will provide video supervision and provide a certificate shortly after you submit a photo of the results. It costs $20 per person and I found it easy to schedule. Have also used Qured on multiple occasions, they will mail you a test kit before you leave and then witness you taking the test by appointment on the appropriate day.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dwugson
If you buy your own covid test kit ....
Does the kit or certificate issuer need to be one approved by the specific airline that you are flying to the USA?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dwugson
If you buy your own covid test kit (or obtain a free one from your insurance) Azova.com will provide video supervision and provide a certificate shortly after you submit a photo of the results. It costs $20 per person and I found it easy to schedule. Have also used Qured on multiple occasions, they will mail you a test kit before you leave and then witness you taking the test by appointment on the appropriate day.
What are their hours of operations? I will need to do a test from Singapore before flying to the US.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:16 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Filling the hospitals and having people die.
Filling?

Currently hospitalized Cover19 patients for the whole country of 350 million people according to CDC are less than 10000.

Again - for the whole country.

Next time it would be useful to check your facts before making statements.

Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by invisible
Filling?

Currently hospitalized Cover19 patients for the whole country of 350 million people according to CDC are less than 10000.

Again - for the whole country.

Next time it would be useful to check your facts before making statements.

And as many local authorities admit, a third to half of them were admitted for something other than Covid.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:36 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
the iHealth kits which the gov’t sent to “everyone” can be used for on-line proctoring by iHealth for $29.95.
I.did a dry-run with iHealth: you set-up an acct with them and after you pay and get your number you schedule your session. I didn’t pay but could see they have lots of time slots open.
I’m leaving SWITZERLAND in a few hours, but used one my free iHealth test kits to see that i tested negative and.went to a test site in Zurich which tests everyone for free. You get an EU accepted QR code as well as a p/o of your test results.
volabam and washeelers747 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by invisible
Filling?

Your source says
Current Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients: April 15, 2022 9,696
which aligns with my source.

But I wasn’t referring narrowly to current.

How many people are in hospital due to COVID-19 at a given time?
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-hospitalizations

United States:
January 19, 2022 154,540
April 20, 2022 10,347

Now that masks are gone, would you like to take a guess at a month from now?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
Does the kit or certificate issuer need to be one approved by the specific airline that you are flying to the USA?
Not generally. Most times the airline reps at the airports don’t even look all that closely, but that’s just my experience as a very frequent flyer to the US during the period in which the US has had a testing requirement for my returns to the US and otherwise often being at the check-in and gates for US-bound flights. They may look more closely at the name of the traveler, the date/time of the test sample noted and the result, but they otherwise mostly don’t look all that closely beyond that.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Masks have been gone at bars and restaurants here for well over a year. Assuming that entering a bar or restaurant does not confer temporary covid immunity, I can only conclude that I'll be just as safe on a plane.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Masks have been gone for most, if not all states everywhere, including indoors for >1.5-2 months already.

Now please tell me how going away mask mandate on transportation that affects on average 2-2.5 million people from 350 million is going to fill hospitals.

Have to repeat - any of you who 'don't feel safe' are entitled to wear double and triple masks, never leave your house and spray Clorox to your deliveries and groceries for the rest of your life. Or even move to China.

But please, don't expect rest of us, who for two freaking years 'have been following science' to keep up giving you what you want so 'you can feel safe;.

Enough!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by nrr
the iHealth kits which the gov’t sent to “everyone” can be used for on-line proctoring by iHealth for $29.95.
I.did a dry-run with iHealth: you set-up an acct with them and after you pay and get your number you schedule your session. I didn’t pay but could see they have lots of time slots open.
Good to know since I have some free test kits sitting and could use them next month (assuming White House & CDC do nothing about this silly requirement). Like other tests, you basically tell proctor 1 or 2 line that's it?
volabam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.