Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mask Mandate Struck Down

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
All travelers need to continue masking is my argument until the positivity rates drop.
Drop to what?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: WN, Alaska, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by lobo411
The ruling had nothing to do with science, and if you read it, it even says that masking is a proven and effective means of preventing transmission.
Except we know that cloth and paper masks effectively do nothing to stop the spread of communicable respiratory diseases. If all passengers used one time N95 or KN95 masks while on the plane, and didn't take them off to eat or drink, then that would probably reduce transmission.

Everything else is just COVID theater ... like, "I'm taking the sock off of my face to eat, and don't worry neighbor, COVID can't get to you because it knows that I am in the process of eating pretzels or drinking a ginger ale."
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
As it is currently, the TSA makes me take my mask off each and every time I'm trying to get airside for my domestic US flights. I would rather have the choice to keep on an N95 on at all times on the ground at the airport when facing the TSA than have no choice but to wear a mask on my flights. And I say this as someone who is generally wearing masks on my flights, even on flights where they aren't required of me.
Ah, I would have bet that you had Clear? While the occasional random ID check does pop up from time to time, Clear will allow you to pass TSA without removing your mask.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: WN, Alaska, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
your daily reminder: you're going to see a huge influx of flight cancellations, delays, crew out sick, and deaths if masks are not worn.

Do the right thing to continue wearing your mask if you haven't realized yet what the new normal is after 2 years.

[Moderator edit of unduly personalized text directed at other members.]
False. Masks are not required anywhere else other than hospitals in the 50 states, and we aren't seeing a huge uptick in deaths. Many states haven't had a mask mandate in well over a year and their death rates are lower or at least on par with the national average.

Please feel free to continue to wear your mask as you see fit. But it's time to move on and accept that COVID is here to stay, and we cannot keep moving the goal posts every month for the rest of time.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, I would have bet that you had Clear? While the occasional random ID check does pop up from time to time, Clear will allow you to pass TSA without removing your mask.

The majority -- and, yes, it's a majority -- of my trips originate at airports/terminals without CLEAR. It's the TSA demanding that I remove my masks at US airports.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Oh this is going to be fun for travellers coming into Canada and then realizing that Transport Canada's orders are quite different than this 'new ruling' from the US.
synzero likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: Various
I'll be curious to see how the airports in the U.S. react to this as well. For example, masks aren't required at ZRH, but Swiss requires masks on their planes on boarding (based on my experience.) So will some U.S. airports, maybe in the more conservative states, drop the mask mandate based on this ruling (assuming it holds.)
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:43 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thread closed for moderator review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.