Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Isolating pre-travel to reduce risk of positive RAT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Isolating pre-travel to reduce risk of positive RAT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE
Originally Posted by Xlr
The typical case timeline for vaccinated people these days with the omicron variant is:
Day 0: Exposure
Day 2: Contagious
Day 3: Symptoms
Day 4: PCR positive (until day 20+)
Day 5: Antigen positive (until day 13)

If this is a trip that absolutely cannot be delayed under any circumstances, you're looking at around 18 days. If you're willing to tolerate a small amount of risk, 10 days should be fine. Personally I would focus more on avoiding indoor situations with shared air, or wearing a high quality mask (N95) in those situations.
Oh, wow - helpful. Thank you!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
If you get COVID in the few weeks leading up to the flight I’d also be booking in a teleconsult with a GP on the day of departure in case your pre-departure RAT is still positive. That way you can get a medical certificate confirming you’re not symptomatic/infectious. And you can cancel the appointment if your RAT comes back negative. Caveat is pre-checking with the medical practice they can get the certificate to you before your flight.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
If you get COVID in the few weeks leading up to the flight I’d also be booking in a teleconsult with a GP on the day of departure in case your pre-departure RAT is still positive. That way you can get a medical certificate confirming you’re not symptomatic/infectious. And you can cancel the appointment if your RAT comes back negative. Caveat is pre-checking with the medical practice they can get the certificate to you before your flight.
good thinking - I wonder how that would work on a Sunday…and whether they be willing to certify as symptom free without a f2f consult? Talk about new complexities!
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: UA, AA
I am basically doing this for the second time in a year, before surgery. Have PCR test before.
Got all my groceries and medicines delivered. Washed hands thoroughly many times a day. Hand gel when out.
Did not go to stores or people's homes, let alone restaurants.
Walked outside for exercise.
Wore KN95 or N95 mask to medical appointments. Avoided public transportation or outdoor crowds.
Worked first time, hope it does this time.
SanDiego1K and Cthunder86 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.