Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Rome. - Covid positive after pre-trip test

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just returned from Rome. - Covid positive after pre-trip test

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Visconti
Ah, I think it's because Americans, including myself, have very little knowledge of lands beyond our borders, their laws, and how things really work.<snip>
Ah, maybe another option then would be to expand ones knowledge?

Countless people have quarantined in a country other than their own during this pandemic. Many of those experiences have been well documented. Increasing ones knowledge is a pretty easily solvable problem if one wishes to do so.

Regards
JMontpelier likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
I should have said "most" Americans are oblivious to the world outside our mainland, but certainly not all. Some FT'ers here have forgotten more about foreign lands that I'll ever know. You make a good point, though I suspect this testing thing is coming to an end. I have no evidence of this but it's just a sense. This probably won't cast me in a very good light, but what's the point of "learning" now when it may all end, and I can just return to whatever my comfort zone was before this?

Countless people have quarantined in a country other than their own during this pandemic. Many of those experiences have been well documented. Increasing ones knowledge is a pretty easily solvable problem if one wishes to do so.
I'm sure they have. But, a man's got to know his limitations, and I know mine. If possible, I'd like to avoid having to endure that experience, however "fruitful" it may prove to be in retrospect.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:20 am

Ah, I think it's because Americans, including myself, have very little knowledge of lands beyond our borders, their laws, and how things really work. Here, at home, I have no worries, know my rights, and, if necessary, can bring to bear lawyers on anyone, organization or State/Fed Gov't to address my grievances--this is all moot when abroad.

I mean, the prospect of testing positive and thereby being at the mercy of local authorities in a country not of my own? That's a rather horrifying and disconcerting prospect.

Regards
If you just change a few words is it not a difference in philosophy about travelling? Should you go to another country, not care/learn about their culture, not speak their language, and expect to feel exactly at home? I would say Americans and Chinese have a great similarity in the sense they both do that when travelling (not all, but many).
Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip> This probably won't cast me in a very good light, but what's the point of "learning" now when it may all end, and I can just return to whatever my comfort zone was before this?
Umm... because... everyday we are literally one new variant away from it not all ending? And because, I think most rational people would acknowledge that getting outside ones comfort zone is generally a good thing in retrospect?

I'm sure they have. But, a man's got to know his limitations, and I know mine. If possible, I'd like to avoid having to endure that experience, however "fruitful" it may prove to be in retrospect.
Oh come on, I honestly am not sure if you are serious or not. If you can stay in a hotel and use room service for vacation then you can survive quarantine in same said hotel. The idea that you are going to be "dragged off to the gulag" is rather silly, barring a few (very few) countries. And those countries that do that are well documented (and thus easily avoidable) which goes back to the educating oneself point.

Regards
Old Apr 16, 2022, 2:55 pm

Umm... because... everyday we are literally one new variant away from it not all ending? And because, I think most rational people would acknowledge that getting outside ones comfort zone is generally a good thing in retrospect?
Ah, in this case, I'm not concerned with what rational or irrational people think, only with what I think. And, as far I know, the testing requirement isn't even a condition of the countries I'm visiting--the only reason I may even be forced out of my "comfort zone" is because my country in its infinite wisdom has decided to insist airlines make this a prerequisite for me to return home.

Oh come on, I honestly am not sure if you are serious or not. If you can stay in a hotel and use room service for vacation then you can survive quarantine in same said hotel. The idea that you are going to be "dragged off to the gulag" is rather silly, barring a few (very few) countries. And those countries that do that are well documented (and thus easily avoidable) which goes back to the educating oneself point.
We have different views and comfort levels on a forced quarantine, wherever that temporary incarceration may take place. I suggest, we just leave it at that.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Don’t be so judgemental on OP. He basically follows all the rules (he did get a negative test result within 24 hrs of the flight). Antigen tests being what they are, it’s not unusual for testers to do it multiple times (they always suggested you to bring multiple test kits for remote supervised antigen tests because false test results are common). As for symptoms, OP didn’t specific what kind of symptoms he was experiencing, it can be anything and totally unrelated to Covid. Agreed that the responsible thing to do may be to do a self test (assuming he got any test kits with him), but can totally understand why he didn’t do it when he was just hours away from getting on to the plane home. Anyway, vaccination is the key when you look at the bigger picture. The pre departure testing thing may soon disappear.
l etoile, Spiff, LETTERBOY and 1 others like this.

Last edited by williamluk; Apr 17, 2022 at 3:42 am
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:40 am

One could. consider testing using an at home test two days.before your actual test.

Last edited by danielonn; Apr 17, 2022 at 3:46 am
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:45 am

Also remember that we are over 2 years into the Pandemic and hotels know about being asked to quarrintune and they can direct you in the right direction.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 11:19 am
Suspended

It is better to take a RTPCR test because, in my opinion, it is more reliable compared to other tests, and you will get the right directions from a medical team if you report that you are positive.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:00 pm

Ah, in this case, I'm not concerned with what rational or irrational people think, only with what I think. And, as far I know, the testing requirement isn't even a condition of the countries I'm visiting--the only reason I may even be forced out of my "comfort zone" is because my country in its infinite wisdom has decided to insist airlines make this a prerequisite for me to return home.

We have different views and comfort levels on a forced quarantine, wherever that temporary incarceration may take place. I suggest, we just leave it at that.
It makes sense if you use the comparison of drug smuggling. In US no big deal. But in other countries imprisonment and maybe even death.
Now other than China COVID is not like that, but Visconti does not know much about other countries' policies and ks not going to investigate. And if the US tries to protect its citizens from strict drug laws it should logically follow it is trying to protect its citizen from strict COVID laws. Which means this idiotic CDC requirement of a negative test is against the spirit of the US. Because it can put you in harm's way.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:24 pm

I had an official positive test in UK, taken 8 days after my symptoms(although I had some home tests positive before that), as I thought originally it was a cold. Could not get
a document of recovery in London, as they would have waited for a full 10 days after the official test. CDC says symptoms.
I emailed my American doctor who provided the note a full 10 days after symptoms. Another companion did the same
from her doctor in the states. I absolutely had no quilt feeling as it was very clear I was following the guidelines. No symptoms for a week before I
flew home.

Interestingly, United demanded first day of symptoms as day 0, so would let me fly until day 11, but
after their rejection I went to Delta as a backup, and they were fine with 10 days. As an aside, I then tested negative the morning after
I returned.

I assume the same could be done in Italy - contact your US doctor.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:58 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
This thread has gone far astray from the original topic, which really was never addressed.
As such, it is now closed.

l etoile

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.