Wiki Posts
Search

72 hours from first departure?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's no exception for being airside, and no way for you to prove that you didn't go landside during a domestic connection.

Please report back.
That's true. In fact, I am considering whether I'll just check-in at QR's departure gate a couple hours before departure and show them my negative tests or go landslide and do it at the check-in counter.

Thanks, everyone. I'll let you know how it goes. Travel safe.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
Thanks for your thoughts. QR will know about my other ticket as I will show my boarding pass to them to explain that I 'departed" my home city for Dubai on a 10:40am flight, about 70 hours after taking my PCR test, and have been airside since then. You may be right with "normally," but there's a lot about international travel these days that is not normal. We'll see.
Do keep in mind ATL has a XpresCheck covid testing location airside, designed specifically for travelers by offering rapid PCR tests and QR employees could easily ask why you didn't avail yourself of that option, while you were on a long layover. I'm also surprised you couldn't get a paid test in Augusta with-in the timeline.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Do keep in mind ATL has a XpresCheck covid testing location airside, designed specifically for travelers by offering rapid PCR tests and QR employees could easily ask why you didn't avail yourself of that option, while you were on a long layover. I'm also surprised you couldn't get a paid test in Augusta with-in the timeline.
My perusal of the XpresCheck site only offers a Standard PCR test with a result in 48-72 hours, but maybe the ATL site offers results faster. There's a rapid test, but it is not permitted by Dubai for entry. So even the people with Xpres in their names aren't really fast. That's why I took what I thought was my best chance for getting a result before my "departure." I guess I could have taken several tests 12 hours apart and gone with the latest test... And thanks for your Augusta, GA, fandom, but while the places that offer Standard PCR test results in 6 hours for a lot of money do exist elsewhere, I couldn't find one in the CSRA. Expecting a result in 48-60 hours was taking a chance. we'll see. Thanks for your weigh-in.

Last edited by AJDelvarno; Feb 10, 2022 at 6:48 am
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Per Timatic,
Passengers entering Dubai (DXB) or Al Maktoum (DWC) must have a printed negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test taken at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point.

Given that QR and DL do not even interline, I would not want to leave "first embarkation point" open to interpretation by some contract agent handler at the ATL ticket counter. I would plan on the 72 hours based off of the QR departure time from ATL to DOH.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Per Timatic,
Passengers entering Dubai (DXB) or Al Maktoum (DWC) must have a printed negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test taken at most 72 hours before departure from the first embarkation point.

Given that QR and DL do not even interline, I would not want to leave "first embarkation point" open to interpretation by some contract agent handler at the ATL ticket counter. I would plan on the 72 hours based off of the QR departure time from ATL to DOH.
This is excellent. Thanks for your effort. I agree-ish with your conclusion, what you suggest would be better, but we're too close to departure now. I'll practice my puppy-dog eyes and pretty-pleases. I have confidence.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:29 pm

My perusal of the XpresCheck site only offers a Standard PCR test with a result in 48-72 hours, but maybe the ATL site offers results faster. There's a rapid test, but it is not permitted by Dubai for entry. So even the people with Xpres in their names aren't really fast. That's why I took what I thought was my best chance for getting a result before my "departure." I guess I could have taken several tests 12 hours apart and gone with the latest test... And thanks for your Agusta, GA, fandom, but while the places that offer Standard PCR test results in 6 hours for a lot of money do exist elsewhere, I couldn't find one in the CSRA. Expecting a result in 48-60 hours was taking a chance. we'll see. Thanks for your weigh-in.
On the Xpress Covid home page it lists a rapid PCR (results in 60 minutes) for $250. You might want to check with the airline about your other test as soon you arrive at ATL and avail yourself of this option if needed. As nice as the ride from AGS to ATL is, it would stink to be in a situation where you can't board the international leg!

added: they also recommend appointments
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
This thread kills me.

Point of embarkation for the purpose of the covid testing is first flight of the one, associated, PNR, not an endless wishful thinking string of unassociated flights going back hours, days, weeks or months.

Xpresscheck all offer a quick PCR test which is perfectly suitable for DXB. I did exactly this 3 weeks ago.

Showing up at Xpresscheck without an appointment may likely result in you standing in line for HOURS and possibly not even being seen. Some locations are MOBBED with walk-in's.

Appointments sometimes book up a WEEK in advance. Experienced travelers who value their time are advised to book an appointment as soon as they know their itinerary.

If you travel internationally and you don't know about IATA/TIMATIC or are too lazy to use it to frequently check for changes affecting a given itinerary, you've earned whatever misery and problems you experience.

PPPPPP

Do some decent homework people.

Last edited by LoungeLizardHugo; Feb 9, 2022 at 9:44 pm
Old Feb 10, 2022, 12:12 am

OP, this video might be helpful. It's at the 0:52 second mark.

Apparently it's 72 hours from the flight to Dubai not first flight, so your test will be invalid.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
This thread kills me.

Point of embarkation for the purpose of the covid testing is first flight of the one, associated, PNR, not an endless wishful thinking string of unassociated flights going back hours, days, weeks or months.

Xpresscheck all offer a quick PCR test which is perfectly suitable for DXB. I did exactly this 3 weeks ago.

Showing up at Xpresscheck without an appointment may likely result in you standing in line for HOURS and possibly not even being seen. Some locations are MOBBED with walk-in's.

Appointments sometimes book up a WEEK in advance. Experienced travelers who value their time are advised to book an appointment as soon as they know their itinerary.

If you travel internationally and you don't know about IATA/TIMATIC or are too lazy to use it to frequently check for changes affecting a given itinerary, you've earned whatever misery and problems you experience.

PPPPPP

Do some decent homework people.
Thanks for the info here. Would like to see source of your definition of "point of embarkation" vis a vis PCR testing and Dubai. It'd be helpful. Also, Dubai doesn't actually use this term...it requires a PCR RT test within 72 hours of "departure." Not saying you're wrong. And I know it's QR folk who are going to be interpreting everything first. And I did watch the video, so there's that.

As for XpresCheck, rapid PCR tests are expressly unacceptable for entry into Dubai. You did this three weeks ago? For travel to Dubai?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:27 am

Thanks for the info here. Would like to see source of your definition of "point of embarkation" vis a vis PCR testing and Dubai. It'd be helpful. Also, Dubai doesn't actually use this term...it requires a PCR RT test within 72 hours of "departure." Not saying you're wrong. And I know it's QR folk who are going to be interpreting everything first. And I did watch the video, so there's that.

As for XpresCheck, rapid PCR tests are expressly unacceptable for entry into Dubai. You did this three weeks ago? For travel to Dubai?
Where does it say rapid PCR tests are expressly forbidden?

Traveldoc says this:

Test Required: Passengers aged 12 years and older must hold a digital or hard copy of a negative PCR test certificate obtained within 72 hours prior to the first point of embarkation from an approved laboratory. The test certificate must be in Arabic or English, be authentic and unaltered, and not be handwritten. PCR test issued in United Arab Emirates (UAE) can be used for re-entry into UAE within 72 hours.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smartytravel
Where does it say rapid PCR tests are expressly forbidden?

Traveldoc says this:

Test Required: Passengers aged 12 years and older must hold a digital or hard copy of a negative PCR test certificate obtained within 72 hours prior to the first point of embarkation from an approved laboratory. The test certificate must be in Arabic or English, be authentic and unaltered, and not be handwritten. PCR test issued in United Arab Emirates (UAE) can be used for re-entry into UAE within 72 hours.
Thanks for that. The Emirates Air (which is where you are sent from the UAE embassy page) page says for entry to Dubai:

"The certificate must be a Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT PCR) test. Other test certificates including antibody tests, NHS COVID‑19 Test certificates, COVID‑19 Rapid PCR tests and home testing kits are not accepted in Dubai. Self‑testing/Self‑administered PCR test results will not be accepted."

But I see your source is different...
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:59 am

Thanks for that. The Emirates Air (which is where you are sent from the UAE embassy page) page says for entry to Dubai:

"The certificate must be a Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT PCR) test. Other test certificates including antibody tests, NHS COVID‑19 Test certificates, COVID‑19 Rapid PCR tests and home testing kits are not accepted in Dubai. Self‑testing/Self‑administered PCR test results will not be accepted."

But I see your source is different...
Someone can correct me, but I think Rapid RT PCR is different from Rapid PCR test.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Plat; AS MVP Gold; BA Silver; LATAM Black; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; GHA Plat
Yes, "Rapid PCR" is different from an "RT PCR" which happens to be done rapidly. Just make sure the results include the words "RT PCR".
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smartytravel
Someone can correct me, but I think Rapid RT PCR is different from Rapid PCR test.
I agree. The two tests are being discussed here now as the Traveldoc site says only that a PCR test is required to enter Dubai. The language excluding other forms of PCR test other than the RT PCR test is absent. Also, upthread, someone said they obtained a Rapid PCR test at the testing site in ATL for a trip to Dubai three weeks ago.

This has sort of become recreational for me and a learning experience. We’re taking the DL hop from AGS to ATL tomorrow with what we have and seeing what happens. It could all be over in a minute…and we’ll reschedule our trip…or someone at QR will understand “departure” to mean the same thing we do.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:49 am

I agree. The two tests are being discussed here now as the Traveldoc site says only that a PCR test is required to enter Dubai. The language excluding other forms of PCR test other than the RT PCR test is absent. Also, upthread, someone said they obtained a Rapid PCR test at the testing site in ATL for a trip to Dubai three weeks ago.

This has sort of become recreational for me and a learning experience. We’re taking the DL hop from AGS to ATL tomorrow with what we have and seeing what happens. It could all be over in a minute…and we’ll reschedule our trip…or someone at QR will understand “departure” to mean the same thing we do.
I think the airline that will check you in to Dubai will consider "embarkation point" as Atlanta. They need to have a proof in their system that you are traveling on one PNR for the officials in Dubai. While you may have the boarding pass, the airline will likely not take the risk of getting hefty penalties for transporting you with a test that, for them, is outside of the acceptable window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.