Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

New Italy Vaccination Status Validity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Good evening all,

Europe will change its “vaccination pass” validity from 1st Feb validity to 270 days from last vaccine, however Italy has taken it a step further and reduced that to 180 days. This means anyone lucky enough to have had the booster in November 2021 will be locked out of hotels/restaurants etc throughout Italy from June 2022. We have a trip planned from the UK to Italy in June with relatives who will be in this situation, and unfortunately there are external factors that mean we need to make a decision soon if we're going to cancel (so we cannot just wait-and-see, use refundable hotel rates and book with confidence etc). Wondering what the collective wisdom of this forum is on whether it's likely this policy would be changed soon? While not quite as quick on volume of boosters Italy also started its campaign around November so they would be disadvantaging their own people who came forward early?

Many thanks!

Rlnnpt
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
May be better to post this in the dedicated Covid forum? But I'd expect things to be different by the summer, one way or another.
SxMan and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Sorry didn’t realise there was one, thank you!
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
I saw this on Twitter earlier and there have been (apparently) several Italian articles saying this time limit will be scrapped for anybody who has had boosters. In all honesty, we need to move forward with life, so as long as you have done as much to protect yourself as possible (jabs / boosters / masks etc), then most places will be open to you this summer, especially in Europe for the very important summer season!

Pilot37
SxMan, FMDXR, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
hmmm this is going to create issues for older americans for example who would have been eligible for boosters in september.

watching closely now as i am set to go to italy with my mother end of feb/early march and if this remains, we may have issues with dining given she was boosted in late september
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by rlnnpt
Good evening all,

Europe will change its “vaccination pass” validity from 1st Feb validity to 270 days from last vaccine, however Italy has taken it a step further and reduced that to 180 days. This means anyone lucky enough to have had the booster in November 2021 will be locked out of hotels/restaurants etc throughout Italy from June 2022. We have a trip planned from the UK to Italy in June with relatives who will be in this situation, and unfortunately there are external factors that mean we need to make a decision soon if we're going to cancel (so we cannot just wait-and-see, use refundable hotel rates and book with confidence etc). Wondering what the collective wisdom of this forum is on whether it's likely this policy would be changed soon? While not quite as quick on volume of boosters Italy also started its campaign around November so they would be disadvantaging their own people who came forward early?

Many thanks!

Rlnnpt
italy use a weird system called green pass and super green pass. You could have had one dose and or one dose and had covid recently and you would qualify for the green pass. The time limit is only for having had one of the two standard doses. The booster is not limited as it would mean that you need to get a booster every three months, which is not the case ..
FMDXR likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 7:57 pm

Do they seriously force people to take the "booster" every 6 months?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by smartytravel
Do they seriously force people to take the "booster" every 6 months?
Nobody is "forcing you" to go to Italy.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I was thinking about the same issue. Anyone boosted in September would not be eligible for many European places in the summer season. I would hope they change the rules. I feel like it was designed with the late uptakers of the booster, and they forgot about the folks who got it when it came out. I would feel more confident that Italy will work towards changing things than some less flexible European countries.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need to be vaccinated to get a super green pass, positive PCR test and you're all set for 6 months with recovery.
NewAtlantis likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Boosters are exempt. End of story.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Boosters are exempt. End of story.
Hardly. They will change it. How on Earth can they set it as unlimited if a second booster is needed? It’s the same like “fully vaccinated” meant you were exempt in 2021.

The Ministry of Health in Poland said boosters are valid at least a year to encourage people to get them and enjoy their freedom- but then when the Commission brought in the recommended 270 days, the expiry date was adjusted.

Boosters expire, cos vaccine validity expires.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Nobody is "forcing you" to go to Italy.
Unless you are Italian, in which case, yes, you are forced to boost.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Unless you are Italian, in which case, yes, you are forced to boost.
Not true. If I understand the media’s take on the unvax, they will test positive at 50 paces. If so, that means a 6 month recovery certificate- Super Green Pass.

Two of those a year, no need for a vax and seemingly the same validity as the former known as “fully vaccinated”.
Deckter likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:41 pm

Economic forces, and the ever-mounting evidence that boosters don't do anything against the current and weakening strain, will cause a rethink in EU before the Summer tourist season. It's already happened in the US.
Watch EU countries take the lead from the UK, or face economic and political disaster.
I can't imagine anyone getting a booster, especially another booster, just for a vacation.
But don't stay home either, there are lots of other places to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.