Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Austria to Czech Republic by train

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb

I'll be visiting Vienna in December and was wondering whether as a vaccinated US citizen I would be able to enter into Czech Republic to visit Prague as well. Does anyone have experience with this or can point me to the relevant rules? The Czech Ministry of Interior site language is pretty opaque to say the least.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
As far as what I’ve read (I might be taking a train from Vienna to Bratislava so I did research on Czechia too), you’d need to fill out an online public health form, and as long as you have proof of vaccination from the US, you should be allowed in without needing a negative covid test beforehand. That’s per IATA at least, which won’t completely translate to land border crossings. I also don’t know what people’s experiences with the CDC card is in Czechia, but you can also try to get the EU digital certificate (green pass) which is also accepted for entry. That or have a printout of the vaccination details from your pharmacy, healthcare provider or state health department in addition to your CDC card. That’s all that’s needed (for now).

You can choose Czechia on the map to see the rules but beware the site is clunky on cell phones. And of course they change rapidly so keep checking up until your depart.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Last edited by Nayef; Oct 10, 2021 at 1:45 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by andreiz
I'll be visiting Vienna in December and was wondering whether as a vaccinated US citizen I would be able to enter into Czech Republic to visit Prague as well. Does anyone have experience with this or can point me to the relevant rules? The Czech Ministry of Interior site language is pretty opaque to say the least.
This page seems to have a good overview -\\https://www.visitczechrepublic.com/e.../page/covid-19
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by catwood
This page seems to have a good overview -\\https://www.visitczechrepublic.com/e.../page/covid-19
Thank you. Sounds like I should be good to go.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Just last week we took OBB Regiojet to Brno from Vienna. No checks of anything (do have green pass) in Wien or arrival at Brno, same going back, conductor came around both directions to scan our tickets.
Only thing was you need a FFP2 or KN95 mask in Vienna and on the train.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:53 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by PIJD
Just last week we took OBB Regiojet to Brno from Vienna.
There is no such thing as OBB Regiojet. It's either Regiojet (a private company) or OBB Railjet. I imagine that you travelled on the latter as Regiojet usually doesn't check tickets (as long as you're in the right seat and not using a discount).
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:27 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Correct my bad, It was Railjet!
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:17 am

Based on my experience two months ago, there were no document checks in any train station in AT/CZ/SK. I traveled through 8 Schengen countries, and the only time I saw a document check at the station was for people arriving in BRU from the UK. The only check on board any AT or CZ train was for the ticket. There was a check for a COVID QR code when entering SK on the train from Vienna, but even they did not ask for the PLF.

Of course, this is always subject to change, but the general synopsis has been that document checks on Schengen trains are quite uncommon, aside from Italy. The key is to always check the requirements a few days before travel. Most countries are requiring some kind of PLF, and the process of completing that PLF will more than likely inform you of whether or not your are allowed to enter. Just be sure to save a copy of the PLF on your phone, as you may not have access to data if there is an onboard check.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by PIJD
Just last week we took OBB Regiojet to Brno from Vienna. No checks of anything (do have green pass) in Wien or arrival at Brno, same going back, conductor came around both directions to scan our tickets.
Only thing was you need a FFP2 or KN95 mask in Vienna and on the train.
Do you have a source stating the necessary mask types?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nayef
Do you have a source stating the necessary mask types?
https://www.austria.info/en/service-...us-information
FFP2 masks are required for everyone on public transport, in cable cars, and essential businesses such as supermarkets, chemists, petrol stations, banks. FFP2 masks required in all shops and museums for those that are not vaccinated or have recovered from COVID
Nayef likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by downinit
Based on my experience two months ago, there were no document checks in any train station in AT/CZ/SK.
Trains are generally the best way to avoid checks, they are the least controlled mode of transportation in the region based on what my friends who live there told me.

By the way, where did the Slovak check take place? Was it a train to Petržalka and did it occur upon disembarking? Or was it a train to the main station and if so, did they delay it to perform the check or was it while it drove between Devínska Nová Ves and the main station?

In pre-Schengen times, they did passport checks for Marchegg trains between DNV and the main station and claiming you boarded in DNV was sufficient to avoid it 😂 As a regular on this route (genuinely boarding in DNV) I always found it a bit absurd.

Last edited by the810; Oct 11, 2021 at 10:05 am
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, ALL Gold
Beware

Though I have no experiences on this specific route, I know some coutries use different restrictions for crossing border by land (usually lessa restrictive). I do not think IATA os a great source of info on this regard. Will dig for some info though and post here!
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
What is the situation in Prague now with regard to restaurants/bars? Need to show test or Covid-QR? My wife and I are vaccinated and can show the QR but my 11 year old son has not had his jab yet.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by janwillem
What is the situation in Prague now with regard to restaurants/bars? Need to show test or Covid-QR? My wife and I are vaccinated and can show the QR but my 11 year old son has not had his jab yet.
Children above 6 theoretically need a covid pass.

​​​​​​However, due to legal issues, the requirement for business operators to check them has been removed shortly after being introduced, so in practice, no one asks for them. Police or health authorities theoretically can do spot checks though.
janwillem and neuromancerLKLB like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by the810
By the way, where did the Slovak check take place?
There was an extended stop at either the last stop in AT or the first stop in SK, where there appeared to be a crew change. The inspectors went seat to seat, just like a ticket check, after we departed from there. IIRC, it was incorporated into the ticket inspection, but I could be mistaken. The people performing the check were with the government, not the railroad.
the810 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.