Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Converting the US CDC Vaccine card to EU Immunization Pass with QR Code

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
For getting the certificate online: There's currently no easy way. Previous methods below: It is also possible to do this in person. Please add below with the following data: Location, Address, Date of Conversion, Successful (yes/no)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 6:32 am
Original Poster

NOTE: I hope someone makes this a sticky

I have noticed a lot of threads here where people are asking how they can, as US Citizens with CDC cards, obtain the EU COVID Vaccination QR code for EU/CH/EEA trips.

As a US Citizen living here in southern Germany since December 2019 (just before the outbreak), I have practical advice for those of you who seek out to enter the EU for whatever your needs are.

In general: all EU member states have a mechanism for obtaining a verification card that is recognized in all other EU member states (and a few others like the UK and Switzerland). Unfortunately, only a few select German pharmacies (known as "Apothekes") can convert US CDC cards to a German Immunization pass. Additionally, I know of no other EU nation that is willing to convert the US CDC card to their own Immunization pass. This means all of those who have CDC cards can get an EU Immunization pass only through Germany at the present time

After viewing various threads here as well as many discussions on Facebook (like expat groups from Munich and Stuttgart), I have come up with a list of FAQs that I see come up often:
  1. How can I get the EU Digital COVID Immunization pass? Get the German version by visiting one of the handful of issuance sites. I personally live in Stuttgart, so the two places that I know can do the conversion are:
    1. Die Apotheke at the Breuningerland Mall in the city of Sindelfingen. This is located at Tilsiter Strasse 15, 71065 Sindelfingen which is about a 30 minutes away from the Stuttgart Airport by S-Bahn or by car/taxi. Their website is: https://www.dieapotheke.de
    2. Ärzteteam42 located at Poststraße 42, 71032 Böblingen. This is a clinic that can do the conversion and is staffed by Germans who can speak English quite well. Their website: https://www.aerzte42.de/

If you don't feel like visiting the land of the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche, there are a few other places in Germany that do this. The best bet is to find an Apotheke that is close to a US Military base in cities like Wiesbaden/Darmstadt (near Frankfurt), Ansbach (near Nuremberg), Kaiserslautern, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and Spangdahlem (near the German/Luxembourg border) and call up that location to confirm they will do the conversion. This is how US Military personnel are getting their conversions done.

If you are visiting Zurich in Switzerland, then there are trains that go directly between Zurich Main Train Station (Zuerich Hauptbahnhof) and Böblingen HBF that takes about two hours each way.

2. How does this process work? When you present your US CDC card and your passport to the issuer, they will look up the manufacturer of your vaccine, the date you took it, your full true name, and date of vaccine jab. They will, in turn, turn each instance of a jab into one vaccine certificate. This is either one or two certificates. Each certificate is printed on a standard A4-size paper that can be folded into a quarters, A6-sized booklet form. The certificate has the above mentioned information, instructions on usage of certificate (in German), the EU Flag with the DE issuing country, and the QR code that can be scanned by any reader. Please guard this document as you would your CDC card. Also, note that while the CDC card is subjected to HIPAA regulations in the US, the German Vaccine immunization card is (instead) subjected to GDPR regulations.
  3. Is there a way to digitally store this using a legally-recognizable app? Yes. Germany uses both the CoronaWarn App and the CovidPass apps. Both are available for Apple and Android, but be aware that you may need to change the country setting of your phone to Germany before you can install either app. For Androids, this means either creating a new German Google account or switching you US account to Germany. Be advised that by changing your US Google account to German Google as location means that you will not be able to switch back to US Google for one year.

As an alternative, many people use the Luca App on either store .. or they side-load the APK onto an Android ... or they factory-reset an unused cheap Android phone, create a new German Google account using a Wi-Fi only connection, download the app, and use that phone as digital proof.
  4. Can I enter Germany with the US CDC card? Yes, but I would suggest at major entry airports like Stuttgart and Frankfurt. You would need to show it to the German Immimgration officers (along with the Digitale Einreiseanmeldung paper you fill out and print from online). At the time of this writing, everyone coming from a high-risk area including the United States needs to quarantine up to 10 days. Upon the uploading of a scan of your CDC card for the Digitale Einreiseanmeldung form, this can be cut down to zero days.
  5. Can I use my cloth mask while in Germany to get the certificate? Nope. You would need to get a mask that covers the nose and mouth and is rated at least N95.
  6. Why was Oktoberfest cancelled in Munich? I don't really know why, but the Schwaben Garten in Stuttgart is a great alternative!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. I am also able to answer logistical-related questions if you have any.

Last edited by alcathiax; Sep 17, 2021 at 3:11 am Reason: Happy!
Old Sep 16, 2021, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by alcathiax
Additionally, I know of no other EU nation that is willing to convert the US CDC card to their own Immunization pass.
Dutch citizens vaccinated in the US (or anywhere else outside the EU that provides adequate proof) can have their vaccinations registered in the Dutch system and get the Dutch QR codes (we have two, one for use in the Netherlands and one for abroad). The process is making an appointment, going to a location in the Utrecht railway station with your proof of vaccination and identity information and then showing said information to the person there. Living in the Netherlands is not required; only that you hold a Dutch passport.
r0gerthat likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:06 am

France: https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/co...-procedure-for

Switzerland: https://tracing-valais.ch/en/certificat
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Also in Spain. If you are Citizen/Resident, a lot of regional health districts will convert CDC to EU/Spanish pass.
Took me about 9 days to get after submitting.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Note, this application process is only part of the procedure. You need to load a special Swiss Covid app on your phone. Then generate a transfer code from the app which you enter on the application via the link noted above. See discussion here:New Swiss Rules-Coronavirus: Federal Council extends COVID certificate requirement

See posts 70 and 79, these should help explain.
Tiramisu likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:42 am

1. Can I use my cloth mask while in Germany to get the certificate? Nope. You would need to get a mask that covers the nose and mouth and is rated at least N95..
Sorry, not true. Depends on the state or city rules.

Seit dem 2. September ist die Pflicht zum Tragen einer FFP2-Maske aufgehoben, der neue Standard ist die sogenannte "OP-Maske".
https://www.muenchen.de/aktuell/2020...-muenchen.html

The best bet is to find an Apotheke that is close to a US Military base in cities like Wiesbaden/Darmstadt (near Frankfurt), Ansbach (near Nuremberg), Kaiserslautern, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and Spangdahlem (near the German/Luxembourg border) and call up that location to confirm they will do the conversion.
Also not true. Many Apotheken will convert a non-German, non-EU vaccination proof into the requirements for the German Corona pass. The process is quick and easy, from what I've observed at various locations.
alcathiax and Tiramisu like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by wanderlustFL
Note, this application process is only part of the procedure. You need to load a special Swiss Covid app on your phone. Then generate a transfer code from the app which you enter on the application via the link noted above. See discussion here:New Swiss Rules-Coronavirus: Federal Council extends COVID certificate requirement
See posts 70 and 79, these should help explain.
The website is much more clear about the process than that rambling thread, but it could be useful as a supplement.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Each certificate is printed on a standard A4-size paper that can be folded into a quarters, A6-sized booklet form. The certificate has the above mentioned information, instructions on usage of certificate (in German), the EU Flag with the DE issuing country, and the QR code that can be scanned by any reader. Please guard this document as you would your CDC card.
Or you could just take a fairly high quality picture of it (especially the QR code) and throw the paper away. That's the whole point of the QR code. The paper it is printed on is irrelevant (unlike the CDC card).
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
At the Spanish and French Official Government sites tied to Covid Regulations you can fill out paperwork, upload your CDC card, and get a QR Code that is accepted through out the European Union. Its called The EU Digital COVID Passport Certificate. Quite easy. Both sites state you can only do this a few days before you arrive or once you are in the country. The Spanish site requests a copy of your airline ticket or itinerary. A USA friend of mine did it a few days ago while in France, quite easy and fast. This is the same digital certificate that EU citizens are using on their phones. France has had it up and running for Americans and a few other countries only for about 3 weeks. I would think Germany would accept it but have not checked. This digital certificate was set up by the EU. Each individual country has to issue the certificates.
prgboy and Tiramisu like this.

Last edited by gallen5555; Sep 16, 2021 at 12:54 pm
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern
Also not true. Many Apotheken will convert a non-German, non-EU vaccination proof into the requirements for the German Corona pass. The process is quick and easy, from what I've observed at various locations.
I only said this because I am observing MANY reports of people on FT as well as other expat groups encountering this very issue.

I also, based on the same observations, noticed that US Military personnel and support civilians reporting great successes at their local Apothekes.

My conclusion is what I wrote above: for a better outcome, find the Apothekes near US Military communities as their personnel will likely be more well-versed. The ones not near these communities have a lesser chance of success.
GUWonder and allset2travel like this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Or you could just take a fairly high quality picture of it (especially the QR code) and throw the paper away. That's the whole point of the QR code. The paper it is printed on is irrelevant (unlike the CDC card).
You would think this would be the case, but when someone fills out the Digitale Einreiseanmeldung form, they will need to upload proof of their vaccine at the second step.

Many Germans what I have spoken to would rather upload this certificate(s) with the QR code printed out rather than scan their entire yellow vaccine card.

The CoronaWarn and CovPass apps will not permit people to capture screenshots of their QR codes due to security settings, so the paper printout will need to be used.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Dutch citizens vaccinated in the US (or anywhere else outside the EU that provides adequate proof) can have their vaccinations registered in the Dutch system and get the Dutch QR codes (we have two, one for use in the Netherlands and one for abroad). The process is making an appointment, going to a location in the Utrecht railway station with your proof of vaccination and identity information and then showing said information to the person there. Living in the Netherlands is not required; only that you hold a Dutch passport.
And the Dutch Gov website also states you need to have a Burgerservicenummer (BSN, Dutch version of SSN). If you are a Dutch citizen and don't have one you need to enroll in the Registratie Niet Ingezetene (RNI) first in person at select city halls.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 8:40 am

I only said this because I am observing MANY reports of people on FT as well as other expat groups encountering this very issue.

I also, based on the same observations, noticed that US Military personnel and support civilians reporting great successes at their local Apothekes.

My conclusion is what I wrote above: for a better outcome, find the Apothekes near US Military communities as their personnel will likely be more well-versed. The ones not near these communities have a lesser chance of success.
But I doubt that most people here, just like me, and most people in Germany, are US military. The average tourist isn't going to be near one of the places you mention, nor should they have to take a detour to get a certificate.

I can assure you that there are many, many, Apotheken who are doing this all the time, and have been advised on the process. This message telling people that they should seek out an Apotheke at the few US military installations does no favours. It's simple enough to get it switched over around the country.

And yes, surgical masks are also sufficient in many places.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:11 am

Anywhere near Hamburg, Hanover, or Kassel that has worked?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 8:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exbayern
But I doubt that most people here, just like me, and most people in Germany, are US military. The average tourist isn't going to be near one of the places you mention, nor should they have to take a detour to get a certificate.

I can assure you that there are many, many, Apotheken who are doing this all the time, and have been advised on the process. This message telling people that they should seek out an Apotheke at the few US military installations does no favours. It's simple enough to get it switched over around the country.

And yes, surgical masks are also sufficient in many places.
While there is no reason to generally advise people to go way out of their way to get to a pharmacy around where lots of current or former US government personnel reside, they are more used to doing this. There are other alternatives around to do it too of course, not all of which even involve doing it in Germany to get the CDC card accepted for purposes of getting an EU-accepted certification of some sort. The French online one, for example, has been done a lot without even needing to use footwear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.