Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

UAE not accepting pax from Uganda, Zambia, DRC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer

A friend recently flew from the US to Uganda on Emirates, and around the time he arrived, found out that after he booked, the UAE government had decided around mid-June that their carriers (Emirates and I presume also Etihad if they fly there) would be transporting pax to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and Zambia, but due to increased COVID-19 cases in those 3 countries, would not be transporting pax from those countries to or through the UAE.

The Emirates staff in Uganda had hoped that the restriction would be lifted by now, since after several weeks of lockdown their rates are heading back down, but when he checked today, they were still in place, and he needs to be flying back in a few days. Apparently his fare class is non-endorsable (today I learned that's a thing now?) so he has to get a partial refund from Emirates, book a one-way home on someone else (likely Qatar) and then file a claim for reimbursement. Ugh.

This is pretty unfortunate for Emirates, since it wasn't at all their idea and is a bit of a PR disaster for them - taking people somewhere then telling them that you won't be able to fly them back? My Ugandan in-laws have long thought of EK as the greatest and Dubai as a great place to connect, but this is driving them into the waiting arms of QR and Doha...
Old Jul 27, 2021, 3:30 pm

This happened to me for an emirates ticket from Pakistan.

Emirates should absolutely be able to keep the Africa-USA portion of the ticket as "open" with 1-2 year validity, so your friend can fly Africa to USA any date any time later, which is much better than some partial refund.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Indeed, that would be better if he was definitely going to need to fly from Africa to the US in the next couple years.

But he’s a US-based not-so-frequent flyer and doesn’t have any idea when he’d be going to Africa again so I don’t think he’s in a good place to be booking round trips originating in Entebbe with unknown return dates. 🙁

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
This happened to me for an emirates ticket from Pakistan.

Emirates should absolutely be able to keep the Africa-USA portion of the ticket as "open" with 1-2 year validity, so your friend can fly Africa to USA any date any time later, which is much better than some partial refund.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by DanTravels
A friend recently flew from the US to Uganda on Emirates, and around the time he arrived, found out that after he booked, the UAE government had decided around mid-June that their carriers (Emirates and I presume also Etihad if they fly there) would be transporting pax to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and Zambia, but due to increased COVID-19 cases in those 3 countries, would not be transporting pax from those countries to or through the UAE.

The Emirates staff in Uganda had hoped that the restriction would be lifted by now, since after several weeks of lockdown their rates are heading back down, but when he checked today, they were still in place, and he needs to be flying back in a few days. Apparently his fare class is non-endorsable (today I learned that's a thing now?) so he has to get a partial refund from Emirates, book a one-way home on someone else (likely Qatar) and then file a claim for reimbursement. Ugh.

This is pretty unfortunate for Emirates, since it wasn't at all their idea and is a bit of a PR disaster for them - taking people somewhere then telling them that you won't be able to fly them back? My Ugandan in-laws have long thought of EK as the greatest and Dubai as a great place to connect, but this is driving them into the waiting arms of QR and Doha...
Similar situation. Recently got back from Uganda. Flew there on Emirates but was rejected for return trip (didn't even know about the ban and was humiliated in the process). Had to buy a one-way on KLM from Kampala through Amsterdam. Affordable enough to buy on a short notice and even upgraded to business for 2.5x the economy price all the way home.

Never again. Not Emirates. Not Dubai. Not UAE.
the810 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DualityOfNam
Never again. Not Emirates. Not Dubai. Not UAE.
I find it very weird that people don't check the airline / country requirements when travelling these days.

It's like me turning up for a flight to the US and being turned away because we're still banned. "Never again. Not American. Not New York. Not USA".
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I find it very weird that people don't check the airline / country requirements when travelling these days.

It's like me turning up for a flight to the US and being turned away because we're still banned. "Never again. Not American. Not New York. Not USA".
Heh. Didn't show up for a flight and the country ban rules were changed mid-trip. But a parade of clowns at Emirates call centers to get a refund was the final straw.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA

This is a highly unpublicized rule actually because it pertains to transit. UAE has (till 5th august) banned even *transit* of folks from certain countries.

And the stupid part is that the purely transit ban isn't explicitly spelt out in many places, so you have to be a super vigilant traveller to know this. I honestly wouldn't place the blame on passengers here, because Emirates should really have it in big bold letters that hey, we might be running flights (for UAE citizens/golden visa holders), but even transit isn't allowed even if you're vaxxed etc.

For example, if i'm flying from say, Uganda to USA, logically I'll check this link (about USA in travel requirements by destination): https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...ination/#81342

But that doesn't mention the transit ban. You really have to dig deep under the Dubai travel rules page on emirates to find one line in 10 pages of text about the transit ban.
DualityOfNam and dipthought like this.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Aug 4, 2021 at 2:37 pm
Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unhappy Open-ended ban, EK can't handle.

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
This is a highly unpublicized rule actually because it pertains to transit. UAE has (till 5th august) banned even *transit* of folks from certain countries.

And the stupid part is that the purely transit ban isn't explicitly spelt out in many places, so you have to be a super vigilant traveller to know this. I honestly wouldn't place the blame on passengers here, because Emirates should really have it in big bold letters that hey, we might be running flights (for UAE citizens/golden visa holders), but even transit isn't allowed even if you're vaxxed etc.

For example, if i'm flying from say, Uganda to USA, logically I'll check this link (about USA in travel requirements by destination): https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...ination/#81342

But that doesn't mention the transit ban. You really have to dig deep under the Dubai travel rules page on emirates to find one line in 10 pages of text about the transit ban.
August 5th now, is it? That's the other big gotcha. The UAE government imposed this somewhere around mid-June from what I've heard (12th-15th?) and since it's a pandemic response measure, it is necessarily open-ended. Emirates is being very (overly?) optimistic that the ban will be lifted before any particular traveler needs to return home, and not notifying people.

My friend's ticket was obviously booked well before the ban, and had he been notified when it went into effect, he would presumably have canceled and rebooked on QR or KL. So would a lot of other people, I'm sure.
But instead, he found out around the time he got to Uganda, and was told that "maybe" the ban would be lifted by July 25, and then when he came back from his honeymoon around July 27, that "maybe" it would be lifted in time for his return flight on July 30. (And whatever fare class he was in was "non-endorseable" to boot.)

Since Emirates has no idea when the ban will actually be lifted, they're selling round-trips with no idea whether they'll be able to actually complete them. (Current answer is "no."). I'm not really sure what else they could do other than simply suspending service to those countries until the ban is lifted, or endorsing return tickets over to QR/KL without question or objection (which would strike me as very honorable and ethical on their part), but for the admittedly small portion of frequent flyers who go to Uganda more than once a decade, this is really damaging their reputation.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 4:24 pm

In similar situation here - booked round trip to/from Lusaka, Zambia on EK for this September. They suspended flights FROM Lusaka (but not to Lusaka) back in June, so I got "plan B" tickets on Ethiopian for my back to the US portion of the trip...however, I spoke with an agent today, and they told me that flights FROM Zambia (probably FROM Uganda as well) resumed on August 5th with 5 flights per week (subject to negative Covid test for transiting passengers and 14 day quarantine for those who enter the UAE)...if I cancel my "plan B" tickets and the agent happens to be wrong - I will be stuck in Zambia, but I cannot find anything official to see if the agent is correct in what she told me...my tickets are still valid on EK website, and in fact a lot of seats show as "occupied", but I wish they were more clear on what to expect...
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: n/a
I spoke to two agent from emirates they said transiting through Dubai from uganda is allowed( just cannot enter UAE) . when you guys see it's not allowed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.