Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Potential for Johnson & Johnson to be used as "pre-travel" Vaccine for Travel Clinics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential for Johnson & Johnson to be used as "pre-travel" Vaccine for Travel Clinics

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Perhaps it is time travel clinics (those clinics who have traditionally given yellow fever, hepatitis and other pre-travel vaccines) in various countries try to see if they can privately obtain Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccines and offer them to would be travelers?

Some people might have already been fully vaccinated with vaccines such as Sinovac, Sinopharm, Sputnik etc. that are not recognized in the destination country they are going to.

Perhaps these travel clinics can offer the Johnson & Johnson vaccine (for private pay) to would be travelers who may be in this situation?

As this vaccine only requires 1 dose, this would cut down the wait time (2 weeks for most countries, and 4 weeks for others) before a traveler embarks on their trip.

What are your thoughts?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been in the news in the past week that one new study (not peer reviewed yet, AFAIK) claimed that J&J is not that effective against the Delta variant (even though another study from J&J itself claimed otherwise)d. So until that is resolved, I'm not sure who's going to want to do this given that Delta is now becoming the main variant around the world.

I'd like to know what happens with this myself, as I myself got the J&J, in part because (at the time I qualified in early April) it had been tested against the South African variant (and the other two had not yet announced whether they had been tested against variants at that time). Back in early April when I got it, no one was talking about Delta variant yet.
AsiaTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If someone is only concerned about entry requirements, J&J would seem to work at this time for most places where vaccination is required or where vaccination permits one to avoid tests and/or quarantine.

If someone has already taken one of the vaccines that aren't on the EU approval list or USA CDC emergency use authorization list but trusts their vaccine, no problem.

OTOH if someone is concerned about immunity and not just the vaccination record, at this point Pfizer and Moderna look like the best choices.

For the travel clinic vaccine idea to work well, there needs to be some method to generate a secure record that will be accepted by and in other countries.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps it is time travel clinics (those clinics who have traditionally given yellow fever, hepatitis and other pre-travel vaccines) in various countries try to see if they can privately obtain Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) COVID-19 vaccines and offer them to would be travelers?

Some people might have already been fully vaccinated with vaccines such as Sinovac, Sinopharm, Sputnik etc. that are not recognized in the destination country they are going to.

Perhaps these travel clinics can offer the Johnson & Johnson vaccine (for private pay) to would be travelers who may be in this situation?

As this vaccine only requires 1 dose, this would cut down the wait time (2 weeks for most countries, and 4 weeks for others) before a traveler embarks on their trip.

What are your thoughts?
Maybe let‘s get most of the world population vaccinated before we start going full on capitalist.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And now, here's a testimonial from an FTer who (along with their partner) got symptomatic cases of Covid despite being vaccinated, and blames it (a few posts further down) on having gotten J&J instead of an mRNA vaccine:

Is Anyone Cutting Back Their Travel Due To Covid? (starting at post 41)

The J&J vaccine was good at the time (it had announced tests against the South African variant before other vaccine makers did) but is less effective against the now-dominant Delta variant than the mRNA vaccines.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And now, here's a testimonial from an FTer who (along with their partner) got symptomatic cases of Covid despite being vaccinated, and blames it (a few posts further down) on having gotten J&J instead of an mRNA vaccine:

Is Anyone Cutting Back Their Travel Due To Covid? (starting at post 41)

The J&J vaccine was good at the time (it had announced tests against the South African variant before other vaccine makers did) but is less effective against the now-dominant Delta variant than the mRNA vaccines.
The SFO-area medical facility staff whom I know to have been fully vaccinated and had breakthrough infections identified in July were vaccinated with mRNA vaccines.

If the JNJ vaccine were the first and only vaccine I could get, I would still do what a bunch of Olympic and other athletes did earlier this year: take it as better than no vaccine or waiting for weeks longer to get vaccinated.

JNJ or not, at some airports of entry for me, the vaccination regimen best be completed at least two weeks before travel/arrival if trying to use the vaccination status as grounds for some kind of pass.

I am vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccines.
renila likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The SFO-area medical facility staff whom I know to have been fully vaccinated and had breakthrough infections identified in July were vaccinated with mRNA vaccines.
Yes, but there's a big difference between just "breakthrough infections" with either no symptoms or symptoms that are just barely noticed, and those that put in you in bed for days (or even worse).

So how symptomatic were those those cases with SFO-area medical facility staff whom you know and who were vaccinated with mRNA vaccines?
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Yes, but there's a big difference between just "breakthrough infections" with either no symptoms or symptoms that are just barely noticed, and those that put in you in bed for days (or even worse).

So how symptomatic were those those cases with SFO-area medical facility staff whom you know and who were vaccinated with mRNA vaccines?
I won’t be answering that in detail for privacy reasons, but symptomatic enough for some to be noticeable to at least some.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Ultimately, I think J&J is going to either become a 2 shot protocol (they'll call it a booster, but we know) or will start getting boosted by an mRNA. There are some promising results coming out of the J&J + Moderna trial.

It's been in the news in the past week that one new study (not peer reviewed yet, AFAIK) claimed that J&J is not that effective against the Delta variant (even though another study from J&J itself claimed otherwise)d. So until that is resolved, I'm not sure who's going to want to do this given that Delta is now becoming the main variant around the world.

I'd like to know what happens with this myself, as I myself got the J&J, in part because (at the time I qualified in early April) it had been tested against the South African variant (and the other two had not yet announced whether they had been tested against variants at that time). Back in early April when I got it, no one was talking about Delta variant yet.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I won’t be answering that in detail for privacy reasons, but symptomatic enough for some to be noticeable to at least some.
"Symptomatic enough to be noticeable" is not necessarily a sign that the vaccine didn't do its job. The primary is to keep people out of hospitals and morgues, the secondary is to reduce transmissibility. It appears that J&J (and certainly the mRNAs) is doing that, including against Delta. The details from a couple of the MLB breakthroughs, where J&J vaccinated staff and players got Delta, suggested that contact tracing showed that the infection was halted by the vaccinated people.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1120A
Ultimately, I think J&J is going to either become a 2 shot protocol (they'll call it a booster, but we know) or will start getting boosted by an mRNA. There are some promising results coming out of the J&J + Moderna trial.

"Symptomatic enough to be noticeable" is not necessarily a sign that the vaccine didn't do its job. The primary is to keep people out of hospitals and morgues, the secondary is to reduce transmissibility. It appears that J&J (and certainly the mRNAs) is doing that, including against Delta. The details from a couple of the MLB breakthroughs, where J&J vaccinated staff and players got Delta, suggested that contact tracing showed that the infection was halted by the vaccinated people.
There is this:

According to new data from a large-scale trial study, Johnson and Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine was found to be highly effective against the Delta variant of the virus.

The study, known as Sisonke, of nearly 500,000 South African health workers, showed the vaccine to be 71% effective at preventing hospitalizations and 96% effective at preventing death from the variant.
https://news.yahoo.com/studies-show-...170757355.html

Originally Posted by NYT
New data suggest J. & J. vaccine works against Delta and recipients don’t need a booster shot.

A single dose of the Covid-19 vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson is highly effective in preventing severe illness and death from the Delta and Beta variants of the coronavirus, data from a clinical trial in South Africa suggest.

The study is the first real-world test of the vaccine’s efficacy against Delta, a highly contagious variant of the virus surging across the United States and much of the world. South Africa’s Ministry of Health reported these preliminary results at a news conference on Friday. The data have not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal.

In the trial, called Sisonke, the researchers evaluated one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in nearly 500,000 health care workers, who are at high risk of Covid-19. The vaccine has an efficacy of up to 95 percent against death from the Delta variant, and up to 71 percent against hospitalization, the researchers reported. (The vaccine did slightly worse against the Beta variant, which is thought to be more adept at sidestepping the immune response than Delta.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/06/s...e-booster.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.