Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada to start reopening Aug 9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Canada to start reopening Aug 9

Beginning August 9, fully vaccinated citizens and permanent residents of the United States currently residing in the US will be permitted to enter Canada.
Non-essential travel into Canada has been banned since March 2020, something the Canadian government said was necessary to mitigate the spread of Covid-19.
International travelers may also be allowed to enter Canada beginning September 7, provided the "COVID-19 epidemiology remains favorable," the Canadian government said in a statement Monday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/world...ing/index.html
Owenc and casey89 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Good. Now I can finally renew my NEXUS. On that note I wonder how seamless it'll be for nexus. I'm sure it'll be more than them asking me if I have anything to declare like it usually is but I can't see it taking too long to verify everything.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 5:57 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Wonder when the US will reciprocate land entry for fully vaxxed Canadians?
Auto Enthusiast and Owenc like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Any news as to when Gov of Canada will change its Global Travel Advisory to anything other than "Avoid all non-essential travel"? This would have implications on insurance being nulled.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by fbrdky
Any news as to when Gov of Canada will change its Global Travel Advisory to anything other than "Avoid all non-essential travel"? This would have implications on insurance being nulled.
Not anytime soon given the COVID situation around the world.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar

Hoping it comes today ahead of the rolling July 22 30-day announcement.

will see ....
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
We are planning on traveling by air to Canada in late August. I am seeing conflicting information as to the requirements to enter. The news release from the Canadian government seems to say that we must be fully vaccinated AND must have a molecular PCR COVID test no more than 72 hours before flying in. Other news I have been reading makes no mention of the PCR test, just the requirement for full vaccination. Anyone have better clarification on this?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Hoping it comes today ahead of the rolling July 22 30-day announcement.

will see ....
Ban extended

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/21/p...vel/index.html
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:23 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
The issue apparently is the Mexico border and the fact the US does not want to open one border and leave the other closed. Sucks for this Canadian that wants to visit the US.
Border experts and political observers say the U.S.-Mexico border likely has a lot to do with why President Joe Biden is dragging his heels on reopening the frontier with Canada.

The southern border represents a much larger political challenge in the U.S. than the northern one, and some in the Biden administration reportedly fear blowback if one opens before the other.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...+Article+Links

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Jul 21, 2021 at 8:34 am
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We are planning on traveling by air to Canada in late August. I am seeing conflicting information as to the requirements to enter. The news release from the Canadian government seems to say that we must be fully vaccinated AND must have a molecular PCR COVID test no more than 72 hours before flying in. Other news I have been reading makes no mention of the PCR test, just the requirement for full vaccination. Anyone have better clarification on this?
A molecular test at T-72 hours will still be required of everyone. It can be a NAAT test that a lot of US pharmacies are offering at little to no cost with very quick turnaround.

I also believe that you'd have to download the ArriveCan app.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
According to this article, not any time soon!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-ext...article_inline
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, IHG Platinum, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
And then there is the potential of this strike:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbs...rder-1.6108358
Old Jul 22, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by dutonier
My brother is going to Canada. Thank you for the information! This is very exciting news for him.
Me too! I've been waiting for this day since March 2020. Whistler, here I come!!!!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Hi guys. I know it is a ridicilous question but I am so eager to travel again that I do not mind..
i am living in EU and am completely vaccinated (Pfizer stuff) which means the Canada borders *should be* opened for me from 7th September. Again I know it is weird question but do you think it will really happen? I just bought for me and my gf ETA but the cost of this is nothing in compare with plane tickets which is non refundable.
Also it will be our first visit to Canada and I am basically choosing between Toronto and Vancouver - what would you recommend a for 1st time visitors for 7 days in mid September?
Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by casey89
Hi guys. I know it is a ridicilous question but I am so eager to travel again that I do not mind..
i am living in EU and am completely vaccinated (Pfizer stuff) which means the Canada borders *should be* opened for me from 7th September. Again I know it is weird question but do you think it will really happen? I just bought for me and my gf ETA but the cost of this is nothing in compare with plane tickets which is non refundable.
Also it will be our first visit to Canada and I am basically choosing between Toronto and Vancouver - what would you recommend a for 1st time visitors for 7 days in mid September?
Thanks
With only 7 days either one would be a good choice. Both Toronto and Vancouver are big cities. From Toronto you can visit the Canadian side of Niagara Falls, which is just spectacular. Rent a car and you can do it roundtrip from Toronto in a day. Also try to visit Quebec City- a wonderful town. Montreal is very nice also. It's a bit of a drive, however. Toronto to Montreal is 5-1/2 hrs and Montreal to Quebec City is 2 hrs 45 mins. Vancouver has perhaps less to see and do but it's a great city with nice parks and its famous Gastown. You must rent a car and travel to Victoria- just a highlight. You have to take a ferry (advance reservations necessary) and spend a night there. It's a great little town and be sure to visit the Butchart Gardens- a must. If you don't want to get involved with a car, there is a full day (12 hrs) tour from Vancouver to Victoria and back, with a visit to the Butchart Gardens. Canada is a wonderful place to visit. With only 7 days, you're going to have to plan carefully so you can determine which city to fly into in relation to what you can see and visit in the 7 days you have. Maybe buy a Canada travel book and decide. No matter which side of Canada you visit you will find most Canadians to be very friendly people.
Deckter and Stil like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.