Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDC vaccine card [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:26 am
Original Poster

CDC vaccine card [merged thread]

We are booked to fly to Italy in Sept. As of today, we can show our CDC vaccine cards and not have to quarantine. So today we were looking at our cards closely. We got our vaccines at 2 different Publix stores in Feb. Both cards do have the vaccine labels BUT on my HU card, the vaccine batch number is hand written for the first one, and not visible (the label was folded over and then worn) on the other one. Mine was not generated as a card but as a full sized copy but with visible lables / baatch numbers. Sorry, TMI?

Do you think if we show our cards to a Delta agent at a domestic check-in, they could tell us if they are going o be acceptable for or flight to Italy. Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by suec1
We are booked to fly to Italy in Sept. As of today, we can show our CDC vaccine cards and not have to quarantine. So today we were looking at our cards closely. We got our vaccines at 2 different Publix stores in Feb. Both cards do have the vaccine labels BUT on my HU card, the vaccine batch number is hand written for the first one, and not visible (the label was folded over and then worn) on the other one. Mine was not generated as a card but as a full sized copy but with visible lables / baatch numbers. Sorry, TMI?

Do you think if we show our cards to a Delta agent at a domestic check-in, they could tell us if they are going o be acceptable for or flight to Italy. Thanks!
It's fine. My card has no labels, just 2 hand-written entries and it's been accepted on a few international trips. The CDC card is the most ridiculous "proof" of vaccine (you can easily buy a blank one and fill it out yourself for the cost of cup of coffee) but it's all we have and it is being accepted without question.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:07 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
When my wife got her vac in Gwinnett county, they just gave her a sheet of paper. I later saw that you can bring documentation into the county board of health to get a CDC card or even addition ones if needed. We did that and they gave her 2 cards with the hand written info on them.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 8:42 am

To piggyback on the OP's query, can you use a photo of the CDC card from your phone as proof of vaccination?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by slobass
To piggyback on the OP's query, can you use a photo of the CDC card from your phone as proof of vaccination?
NO! Already read one report (I don't remember where) of a passenger on one of the first flights to Paris after the new rules being told "no" because "I only bought a photo" Her family got on the plane and apparently she had to wait until someone could overnight her the card she left at home for safekeeping (One of those fly SW to ALT and DL to Paris decisions that didn't end well)
Think of it as your passport. Would they accept a photo of that?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by suec1

Call the Publix pharmacy you got the vaccine at and see if they can write you a new card.
hi55us and Moyerclan like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I believe there are certain requirements for the record including eg type of vaccine and where administered but even a print out should have been ok I would have thought. My vaccine card is literally handwritten with just the name of pharmacy and a scored out and corrected date! No issues. The photo would actually work with United since you can upload it to their travel ready Center and no one will ask to see it at the airport if it’s approved (my experience). At least for Paris I have read a few accounts that suggest they don’t bother to look at it at all and even though I handed mine to him to doubt he could have told if they vaccine was administered to an M Mouse so cursory was the glance
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:59 am

Unless requirements change from "proof of vaccination" to "specific vaccine card" I would not worry at all. There are so many different formats out there that airlines can not keep up checking every single detail.

I just flew SEA-AMS-ZRH with printout of my European vaccination and did not have any problems checking in with Delta in USA for flight to Europe. The agent did not even bother to check all details of my printout, which was partially in German. Nobody checked for vaccine or PCR test in AMS or ZRH.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Get a WHO immunization booklet and put everything in there. 2/3 of my immunizations are hand written - some by me.
Moyerclan likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Think of it as your passport. Would they accept a photo of that?
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous analogy. No ID is required to get vaccinated. They ask for ID, but you can refuse, in which case they write whatever name you tell them on your vaccine card. It's the least secure document there is. When was the last time you saw a handwritten passport that can be obtained without ID?
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous analogy. No ID is required to get vaccinated. They ask for ID, but you can refuse, in which case they write whatever name you tell them on your vaccine card. It's the least secure document there is. When was the last time you saw a handwritten passport that can be obtained without ID?

Agreed, I put my name on my card when I got home. My son's is the same way. Blank card with the dose info and date. My state has talked about some type of digital vac passport that you could show as a more official doc, but who knows if that is more than just chatter at this point.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: US1, NW, AA, SPG...
A data point in case helpful - flew DL from JFK - FCO on July 2 (arr July 3). Very brief eyeball of the CDC cards and passports by the GA at JFK, no check at all on the Italian side. Not sure if that was just this flight, that day, or what, but we were surprised to go through the bleary-eyed arrival cattle run through passport control and customs to arrive outside without having had any checks at all. (But, again, the Delta gate agent did look at our physical CDC cards and passports prior to boarding.)
Old Jul 6, 2021, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre

No it’s not a ridiculous analogy. They’re asking you to bring a piece of paper. Kind of like the idiot in front of me at the airport for years ago who had a photo of his drivers license and thought that should be good. LOL. When you send a request for guidance to the French government the embassy here responds with your CDC card is acceptable not that you can take a picture of it and that’ll be great.. If the piece of paper is required to go somewhere then it’s the same as bringing your passport

And in theory, they could ask you to show this in France when you land. They probably won’t because they are depending on the airline to do this for them. But f they don’t take your photo you’ll be getting on the plane to go home. But you will have made your point -stand on that principal. LOL Having watched the French immigration people in action, I have absolutely no faith that they will be impressed with your argument that you didn’t have to have an ID so it’s not the same as a passport and you should be allowed in. But it won’t matter, because Delta will not let you on the plane unless you have that hardcopy in front of you, they are not risking it.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:52 pm

No it’s not a ridiculous analogy. They’re asking you to bring a piece of paper. Kind of like the idiot in front of me at the airport for years ago who had a photo of his drivers license and thought that should be good. LOL. When you send a request for guidance to the French government the embassy here responds with your CDC card is acceptable not that you can take a picture of it and that’ll be great.. If the piece of paper is required to go somewhere then it’s the same as bringing your passport

And in theory, they could ask you to show this in France when you land. They probably won’t because they are depending on the airline to do this for them. But f they don’t take your photo you’ll be getting on the plane to go home. But you will have made your point -stand on that principal. LOL Having watched the French immigration people in action, I have absolutely no faith that they will be impressed with your argument that you didn’t have to have an ID so it’s not the same as a passport and you should be allowed in. But it won’t matter, because Delta will not let you on the plane unless you have that hardcopy in front of you, they are not risking it.
What are earth are you talking about? I never said that people shouldn't bring a card or should stand on principle (I can't even figure out what principle you're referring to).

What I said is that a handwritten card that can be obtained without any verification whatsoever is not analogous to a passport which is one of the most secure and trusted documents in our society. You seem determined to dig deeper into nonsense.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

What? A passport is a secure document proving ID. A vaccine card isn't a secure anything. DL does indeed let you on with photo copy of vaccine card. I've done it and seen others do it.

As has been noted, in fact lots of airline simply have you upload a copy .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.