Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

What if you lose the cdc vaccine card (for US)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:58 am
Original Poster

For US folks, it seems like if you lose the cdc covid vaccine card then there's no way to get the same card reissued. I've asked around, doesn't seem possible. The states ask you to just use their immunization database for proof.

But I suspect everyone from airline agents to random European border officials are only familiar with the US CDC card (and not other random printouts of immunization records from different US states). I would fully expect long waits at a border or being marked for quarantine/denied boarding if I rock up with my state record printout which looks like a third grader designed a terrible webform.

So for someone who either lost the CDC card or never got it issued for whatever reason, do you have a real life data point of your experience when presenting an alternate form of US vaccination proof for an airline or border. Or have you been able to get a CDC card reissued, if yes, which state and how. It is extremely concerning that this single unreplaceable piece of card is the key for easy travel but it can't be reissued.

Last edited by nomiiiii; Jul 4, 2021 at 7:03 am
Old Jul 4, 2021, 7:54 am

If you have lost your vaccination card or don’t have a copy, contact your vaccination provider directly to access your vaccination record.If you cannot contact your vaccination provider directly, contact your state health department’s immunization information system (IIS). You can find state IIS information on the CDC website. Vaccination providers are required to report COVID-19 vaccinations to their IIS and related systems.If you enrolled in v-safe or VaxText after your first vaccine dose, you can access your vaccination information using those tools.
If you have made every effort to locate your vaccination information, are unable to get a copy or replacement of your vaccination card, and still need a second shot, talk to a vaccination provider.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...cond-shot.html
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The first thing I did after getting my vaccine card, was to take a picture. I have pictures of my card after the first and second shot, even before I wrote my name on it.

I’d bet there are many folk out there trying to claim they were vaccinated, when they were not.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The first thing I did after getting my vaccine card, was to take a picture. I have pictures of my card after the first and second shot, even before I wrote my name on it.
You wrote your name on the CDC vaccination card? Meaning Mr X could have been vaccinated and write Mr Y’s name on the card?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Yes I wrote my name also.

But how would that help, a picture. European border officials won't take a picture.

They won't accept some random immunization records off Nebraska either afaik
They're only familiar with CDC cards
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Yes I wrote my name also.

But how would that help, a picture. European border officials won't take a picture.

They won't accept some random immunization records off Nebraska either afaik
They're only familiar with CDC cards
Well, the value of a CDC card should be zero if people write their own (or somebody else’s) name on it.
curt, seanp7 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Well, the value of a CDC card should be zero if people write their own (or somebody else’s) name on it.
Not any different at all to a yellow fever card. Not sure what everyone is so up in arms about on this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Not any different at all to a yellow fever card. Not sure what everyone is so up in arms about on this.
Not around here. Both the yellow fever booklet and the Covid-19 vaccination cards are completely filled in (name and date of birth, after checking of ID) by the medical professionals (or their administrative staff) who put the jab in your arm.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I’d bet there are many folk out there trying to claim they were vaccinated, when they were not.
Good idea, but I also scanned the card and created a pdf for it, which I could access online anywhere. Heaven forbid that I should lose that card while traveling, but if it happens, I would print it out on the road. I would be producing it to a foreigner who probably hasn't seen that many actual CDC cards. Canadians only have pdf printouts for their proof-of-vaccination. I think a printout of a scanned CDC card would probably work (though I hope not to test that idea).
Old Jul 4, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Not around here. Both the yellow fever booklet and the Covid-19 vaccination cards are completely filled in (name and date of birth, after checking of ID) by the medical professionals (or their administrative staff) who put the jab in your arm.
Understood. I thought you issue was the hand written nature in general. Cheers.
FWIW all my family’s COVID 19 cards were filled out by the physicians by way of printed sticker anyway.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
You wrote your name on the CDC vaccination card? Meaning Mr X could have been vaccinated and write Mr Y’s name on the card?
On our first dose, they just handed my wife and I cards. It did have the registration number, which matched our shots, but not sure if most places could tell the difference. We wrote our names in during the 2nd dose procedure.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
My shots were administered by nurses who work for my employer.
We were given blank cards, we filled out the name, DOB, id number info before. They checked our ID cards before the shot and filled out the remainder.
So, no, you wouldn't be able to do what you propose.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was vaccinated via NYULangone (a major healthcare provider in the NYC area); besides receiving a CDC card info about my vaccinations appears in “MYChart”. It seems that MYChart is not just local, several months ago I had a Covid test in LasVegas via a hospital which also uses MYChart—all MYChart entries are linked, so MYChart info may be recognized even outside the USA.
NYS has an Excelscor Card with a QR code, would that also be accepted in EU?
Old Jul 4, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by nrr
all MYChart entries are linked, so MYChart info may be recognized even outside the USA.
This is not correct, sorry. MyChart is a portal used by many different provider organizations. You can link your own accounts, but they don't share your information by default.
Diplomatico and Spanish like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:38 pm

I work for a prison. We were issued our cards and filled them in ourselves, then the nurse who gave the injection wrote the lot number of the vaccine and the date. It looks so fake to me, plus I can’t imagine getting another card - I am sure I am registered with someone, but not a particular state or healthcare agency. Could get a memo from the Warden I guess? I got my first vaccine shot in mid December - seems like so long ago. So far have traveled a few international places and have not needed the vaccine card yet but don’t want to lose it!!
Spanish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.