Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Re-entry of unvaccinated children to Switzerland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M, Fan of MO, Shangri-La.

I strongly hope that I am wrong, but...

It looks like unvaccinated children will also need a negative test when they return by plane to Switzerland from 26 June onwards.
at least my understanding is that EVERYONE, including children will only be allowed to return by plane to Switzerland with a negative test. (Rule 13 in the linked doc has no exceptions)
Children up to 16 will however be allowed to enter Switzerland without a test. (Rule 16 in the attached doc). That may apply for entry via train or car, But it does not help if they cannot board.
Link to new rules from 26 June

That would be a lot worse than the current status, where Children under 16 are exempt from testing for boarding and entry to Switzerland. (Unless coming from a variant country)

update: it looks like this document is being edited by the respective department. It's still not clear, but likely not yet final. Please hold on...

Last edited by LoungeLizzard; Jun 23, 2021 at 8:25 am
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard

It looks like unvaccinated children will also need a negative test when they return by plane to Switzerland from 26 June onwards.
at least my understanding is that EVERYONE, including children will only be allowed to return by plane to Switzerland with a negative test. (Rule 13 in the linked doc has no exceptions)
Children up to 16 will however be allowed to enter Switzerland without a test. (Rule 16 in the attached doc). That may apply for entry via train or car, But it does not help if they cannot board.

That would be a lot worse than the current status, where Children under 16 are exempt from testing for boarding and entry to Switzerland. (Unless coming from a variant country)

update: it looks like this document is being edited by the respective department. It's still not clear, but likely not yet final. Please hold on...
Please allow me a question: Why should unvaccinated children under 16 be exempted from testing? I have several kids that fall into the "under 16" category myself and don't see a problem, as they can contract and spread COVID, too.
renila likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Please allow me a question: Why should unvaccinated children under 16 be exempted from testing? I have several kids that fall into the "under 16" category myself and don't see a problem, as they can contract and spread COVID, too.
The fact is that children below 16 currently ARE exempt from testing when they return to Switzerland regardless of the mode of transport. It is nearly impossible to have them vaccinated here + waiting 2 weeks after the second dose before the start of the summer holidays.

Children below 12 cannot be vaccinated at all in Switzerland, and also their current exception has disappeared in the press release.. If the rule is implemented as currently stated, then even babies will need to get tested before boarding, which makes me believe that what is written in the press release is not going to be the exact rule which will be implemented.

The problem I have with that is that I'd like to be sure that we can return from holidays without hassle, cost and especially without the uncertainty of getting stuck for an unknown amount of time. If I'd want that, I might as well go to Thailand and play the PCR lottery there.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:18 pm

I don't understand OP's problem; is it the cost of the children's testing?
renila likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I also don’t understand. Why not just test them?
renila likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S

It's been edited:

15. What rules apply to young people below age 16 who have not yet been vaccinated? Do they have to show proof of a PCR or rapid antigen test when entering Switzerland?
Children and young people below age 16 do not have to show proof of a negative PCR or rapid antigen test on entering Switzerland. This applies starting 28 June
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
I don't understand OP's problem; is it the cost of the children's testing?
No, cost isn't the main concern.

Current rules for Switzerland are "back to normal" because we don't need to worry about getting back home.
Parents don't need to worry because we're vaccinated, and we don't need to worry about children because they don't need to get tested on the return.

New rules may mean that children need a test to fly, and that poses a risk that we all get stuck if one of them tests positive.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
It's been edited:

15. What rules apply to young people below age 16 who have not yet been vaccinated? Do they have to show proof of a PCR or rapid antigen test when entering Switzerland?
Children and young people below age 16 do not have to show proof of a negative PCR or rapid antigen test on entering Switzerland. This applies starting 28 June
The problem is that this applies to entry to Switzerland, but it may not apply to boarding a plane. Even if the intention may be to continue to let children fly without a test, I much prefer a clear rule so that I won't have to rely on the interpretation of the check-in agent, who may insist on rule #12, which has no exceptions:

12. What rules apply for air travel?
A negative PCR or rapid antigen test is required for boarding and subsequent entry into Switzerland.

Let's see if they clarify.

Last edited by LoungeLizzard; Jun 24, 2021 at 1:15 am
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
The problem I have with that is that I'd like to be sure that we can return from holidays without hassle, cost and especially without the uncertainty of getting stuck for an unknown amount of time. If I'd want that, I might as well go to Thailand and play the PCR lottery there.
I see your point, but since it is your decision that you want to go on holiday to a foreign country in a pandemic and use public (air) transport to get there and back, it shouldn't be too much hassle to have the kids tested. If you decide it's too much hassle, don't go. No offence, but if your kids board a plane with me, I would want to have them tested before they do, as they are just as "dangerous" as adults are.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
The problem is that this applies to entry to Switzerland, but it may not apply to boarding a plane. Even if the intention may be to continue to let children fly without a test, I much prefer a clear rule so that I won't have to rely on the interpretation of the check-in agent, who may insist on rule #12, which has no exceptions:

12. What rules apply for air travel?
A negative PCR or rapid antigen test is required for boarding and subsequent entry into Switzerland.

Let's see if they clarify.
I don't think they would make it stricter than today's rules, which can be found here:

Negative test result

When entering Switzerland, you must be able to show proof of a negative coronavirus test in two cases:
  1. If you enter Switzerland by air. Information in this regard can be found in the section Rules for entering Switzerland by air.
  2. If you have stayed in a location within the last ten days before entering Switzerland that is included on the FOPH list of risk countries. In this case, you must always be able to show proof of a negative test result, even if you enter Switzerland by bus, rail, car, boat, etc. Information in this regard can be found in the section Rules for entering Switzerland by land or water.
Children under the age of 12 are never required to provide proof of a negative coronavirus test on entering Switzerland. They are exempt from the test requirement on boarding and from the test requirement at the Swiss border.

For young people aged between 12 and 16, the same applies as for children, as long as they are not travelling from a country that is on the FOPH list of risk countries due to a variant of concern.
LoungeLizzard likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 3:00 am

The FOPH updated their rules, and most of their multi-language website, yesterday. The SEM hasn't. You may need to wait until 26th or 28th for it to reflect the changes.

I would *assume* that the rules on children not needing to be tested will remain, but agree that it'd be good to see it properly documented. Note that the FOPH English translation is very good but it can still be useful to switch to the German version if any wording seems ambiguous.
LoungeLizzard likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several countries I checked seem to require kids (at least school age kids) to be tested while vaccinated adults are exempt. Annoying but not surprising - I told mine to expect another round of sticks in the nose shortly...
Old Jun 24, 2021, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldclubber
I see your point, but since it is your decision that you want to go on holiday to a foreign country in a pandemic and use public (air) transport to get there and back, it shouldn't be too much hassle to have the kids tested. If you decide it's too much hassle, don't go. No offence, but if your kids board a plane with me, I would want to have them tested before they do, as they are just as "dangerous" as adults are.
No offence taken, no worries. Of course it's not easy to find the right balance between your very vaild point of risk reduction on one side and freedom to travel freely on the other side, and I'm obviously biased to the freedom side.

As long as we cannot have children vaccinated, the exception which currently exists in Switzerland makes sense to me, because it gives that freedom and it removes the risk of getting stuck. - and again, it's this risk I want to avoid, and then only the hassle.

just to continue on the point of the risk reduction:
- will you avoid any route where the destination country will not require a test? - there will be many more dangerous people than just my kids,
- will you avoid any airline which will not require FFP2/N95 masks?
- if the quoted rule #12 is enforced as it's currently written, which means that it applies to anyone entering Switzerland by plane, would you consider it to be a hassle for you? Would you consider it a hassle if you are vaccinated and still need to test?

On a general level, I think that the travel restrictions need to be more clear, easy and harmonized and they need to be relaxed, so that more people can travel again. Otherwise, the plane you'd like to board without my kids may stay on the ground.
:D! and zrh2yvr like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

There's now a nice step by step tool where you can check vaccine, test and entry form requirement to Switzerland.

Travel Check Switzerland
adrianlondon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.