Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
We are vaccinated Americans and are flying from Italy to the US on Monday. On Friday, we received negative results on a rapid test, and we're issued an Italian certificate. The certificate says it's valid for 48 hours (at least I think that's what it says), however we understand the US accepts tests taken up to three days before travel.

Should I be concerned that LH won't accept our test, since the certificate/QR code will presumably have expired by the time we travel?
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by work2fly
We are vaccinated Americans and are flying from Italy to the US on Monday. On Friday, we received negative results on a rapid test, and we're issued an Italian certificate. The certificate says it's valid for 48 hours (at least I think that's what it says), however we understand the US accepts tests taken up to three days before travel.

Should I be concerned that LH won't accept our test, since the certificate/QR code will presumably have expired by the time we travel?
no problem. The US rules for test validity will supersede the Italian ones. Just show the printout with the sampling date and everything will be fine.
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:58 pm

Just a bit of a rant, but getting a COVID test in a foreign country can be a big pain. The clinic I went to in Queretaro, MX had a broken credit card machine, so I had to walk to an ATM 20mins away to get cash. I never got the email with my test results so I had to go back to the clinic and get a print out. I guess I don't understand what the goal is for requiring testing for vaccinated US citizens in November 2021 when COVID is a worldwide pandemic. It's kind of silly that a vaccinated US citizen can go to over a dozen countries without needing a test but in order to return home you need one.
Silver Fox, LETTERBOY and SamirD like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:06 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by poisson
Just a bit of a rant, but getting a COVID test in a foreign country can be a big pain. The clinic I went to in Queretaro, MX had a broken credit card machine, so I had to walk to an ATM 20mins away to get cash. I never got the email with my test results so I had to go back to the clinic and get a print out. I guess I don't understand what the goal is for requiring testing for vaccinated US citizens in November 2021 when COVID is a worldwide pandemic. It's kind of silly that a vaccinated US citizen can go to over a dozen countries without needing a test but in order to return home you need one.
imo leisure travel during a pandemic makes no sense since all it does is create a spike and make the pandemic last longer. But there hasn't been any real sense behind managing the pandemic except in a few places.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I ended up doing the test at JFK and dropping $179 instead of $24 in the Caribbean but whatever it was nice not having to worry about it while on my quick vacation. Thats a lot for an antigen test I feel but in the end I guess I felt better about it. And it was super quick, the whole process took 20 min, I even had time to go hit TWA and work out and have a shower and still make it back to DL Sky Club for 30 minutes before leaving for boarding.
Silver Fox, ExpatExp and SamirD like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I ended up doing the test at JFK and dropping $179 instead of $24 in the Caribbean but whatever it was nice not having to worry about it while on my quick vacation. Thats a lot for an antigen test I feel but in the end I guess I felt better about it. And it was super quick, the whole process took 20 min, I even had time to go hit TWA and work out and have a shower and still make it back to DL Sky Club for 30 minutes before leaving for boarding.
TWA - hands up who didn't think "Trans World Airlines" !
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
TWA - hands up who didn't think "Trans World Airlines" !
Well, the TWA hotel is there and I'm nt sure what else it could be ...
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:26 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Unless you possibly meant getting tested airside, NYC's public hospital system has free Covid testing outside the T5 AirTrain station, open to all. No need to pay $179, not least for an antigen test. There have been rumors the site may close at the end of the week, but FYI nonetheless for JFK travelers.

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:30 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
The Cyber Monday code for Qured still works, reducing the price from $45 to $36.
The code is CM20
https://qured.us
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:31 pm

I'm doing a trip from CDG to LHR to HEL to JFK on Thursday, just trying to get all my forms in order! Had my video supervised test today, completed my entry form for the UK transit. I'm not seeing Finnair on the VeriFly app so I'm not able to do anything further on there.

Am I right in thinking I just need the UK PLF, the negative test result, and the Covid vaccination form? I have a feeling I'm missing something with the stops but getting confused looking around!
SamirD likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
eMed still selling old tests

Just FYI to anyone planning to purchase eMed's BinaxNow 6-pack: the expiration date on a kit purchased yesterday is 11/13/2021, which means it is good through February 13. This gets me through the holiday season, but I'm disappointed they STILL do not have fresh stock, and yet are not discounting the old kits.

The kits no longer had the DO NOT OPEN sleeve on them, just the sealed boxes.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:48 am

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/str...-s-11638319534
SamirD and FabCW like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And for the benefit of others:
Stricter Covid-19 Testing Requirements for Travelers to U.S. Being Considered to Curb Omicron Spread
The important bit:

One official said the administration hopes to roll new rules out by next week.

Hoping that is true.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 1, 2021 at 1:09 pm Reason: font size
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
And for the benefit of others:
Stricter Covid-19 Testing Requirements for Travelers to U.S. Being Considered to Curb Omicron Spread
The important bit:

One official said the administration hopes to roll new rules out by next week.

Hoping that is true.
They are supposed to announce tomorrow from what i've seen.
Silver Fox and SamirD like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 1, 2021 at 1:11 pm Reason: font size
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
The Cyber Monday code for Qured still works, reducing the price from $45 to $36.
The code is CM20
https://qured.us
Code dead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.