Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Where would you actually "want to" travel this summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you actually "want to" travel this summer?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 1:34 pm

I'll be going to France this summer, mostly hiking in the Alps. They've already announced that they expect to end the outdoor mask mandate in time for summer, and I'll be outdoors most of the time so my mask-time will be minimal.

When required, of course, I'll put on the mask. But being required to wear it and being required to wear it *properly* are two different things. These days, being fully vaccinated, I just tie the mask on loosely so it meets the requirement without actually doing anything.
LETTERBOY, the810 and bbriscoe34 like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by invisible
Florida. Texas.
As much as I love Florida, I rarely go in the summer. The heat is unbearable, amongst a few other things. I'd rather go in the other seasons.

Summer is my favorite time to go to northern destinations. Going on a trip during cold weather is not my cup of tea. You also miss out on certain things like outdoor dining. I wouldn't mind going somewhere like Chicago or New York if they restore any sanity.
bbriscoe34 and northinsouth like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kac2138
I want to go to Scotland. I don't think I'm going to be able to (from the US).
Why not? The US is close to being on England’s green list (and will be if a) it can reduce its positivity rate and b) perhaps it will depend on a reciprocal opening of the US.

But fast forward a few weeks and the situation will be much improved. Already cities are getting close to normal and events are restarting.
GUWonder, Owenc and LHR FLYER like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Apparently Armenia is a lovely and affordable place to vacation, and has no mandates. I forget which travel blogger posted this, but it made me price tickets because it seemed so beautiful. Also, I am presently in Cairo. There is a mandate, but it's hardly followed. I wouldn't come here unvaccinated, but vaccinated, you can feel fine and go basically maskless.
Old May 23, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Why not? The US is close to being on England’s green list (and will be if a) it can reduce its positivity rate and b) perhaps it will depend on a reciprocal opening of the US.

But fast forward a few weeks and the situation will be much improved. Already cities are getting close to normal and events are restarting.
Well a) I think we'll do but I'm not so sure I see b) happening. But I'm a little skeptical. Maybe I haven't been up on the news but I haven't heard much murmuring with the UK like I have with the EU.
Old May 23, 2021, 5:17 pm

Balkans (Albania, Macedonio, Kosovo etc) - no masks, no restrictions (some of these countries don't even requir a test tto enter), everything open.

I honestly don't remember where my mask is since I left the airport. Will have to fish it out for flight back (even covid test labs here are without masks)

Same in 'Stans (Kyrgyztan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kurdistan, Afghanistan) - no masks once you leave the airport, everything open.
the810 likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
As I believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, I'm hoping to spend more than three days in a row at home!
Old May 23, 2021, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo

From your lips to God’s ear. I booked a Biz class seat with miles last mid-September and have an Airbnb credit from last year to use hopefully the end of July to London. After getting one dose here in Mexico of Sinovac (Chinese) I decided to go to San Diego to get Johnson &Johnson as I doubt the Sinovac would be recognized if the UK does open up.
Old May 23, 2021, 6:59 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Iceland. Open and nonstops from my hometown.
Hawaii. See above.
Old May 23, 2021, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gringa
From your lips to God’s ear. I booked a Biz class seat with miles last mid-September and have an Airbnb credit from last year to use hopefully the end of July to London. After getting one dose here in Mexico of Sinovac (Chinese) I decided to go to San Diego to get Johnson &Johnson as I doubt the Sinovac would be recognized if the UK does open up.
Good call. Sinovac may save lives, but it doesn't appear nearly as effective in preventing infections in countries where it is the predominant vax.
renila, sdsearch, lobo411 and 1 others like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

China is pretty much “mask optional” everywhere except public transit. All the tourist sites are at full capacity as well. Good luck getting in though.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
China is pretty much “mask optional” everywhere except public transit. All the tourist sites are at full capacity as well. Good luck getting in though.
Do they still do anal Covid tests to all arrivals?
LETTERBOY and northinsouth like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Do they still do anal Covid tests to all arrivals?
They never did anal Covid tests to all arrivals, just to a select few like Japanese and American diplomats.
pudgym29 and bbriscoe34 like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:56 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by the810
I've more or less decided to stay in Sweden this summer. It will probably remain the only location in Europe where you don't need to wear a mask in any situation this summer (Czech PM also suggested they may drop masks in the summer, but I'm sceptical). There are also very few other restrictions - restaurants close a bit early (22:30 since June) and large events are restricted, but otherwise it's business as usual as far as visitors are concerned. Plus there is an added benefit of it being located in the north, which means no tropical heatwaves

If they reopen to Americans by the time you want to travel, I highly recommend it. It's a great place, I've been visiting twice a year prior to the pandemic, and now it's also one of very few places with pragmatic, non-emotional approach to the pandemic.

Sweden currently has the highest per 100k rate in Europe. They’re doing relatively well in vaccinations though.

have they said when they’d open up to tourists?
Old May 24, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by exp
Sweden currently has the highest per 100k rate in Europe. They’re doing relatively well in vaccinations though.

have they said when they’d open up to tourists?
Situation in Sweden is improving though. Anyway, that is entirely besides the point of this thread.

Regarding reopening, Sweden has been open to tourists throughout the pandemic (although a test is required before entry, currently scheduled to expire on 31st May). However, they implemented the EU ban on travel from outside the EU - when the EU-wide ban goes away, Sweden is extremely likely to follow. At that point, nothing more than a test should be required.

Last edited by the810; May 24, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.