Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Thinking about going to Greece…Covid test before coming back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 12:19 pm
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM

Hi Folks,
As I hear Croatia and Greece are starting to open up for travelers who are vaccinated, I have the urge to pay Athens a visit! I, however, don’t know where I can get vaccinated before my flight back to the US. Has anyone found easy Covid testing there or anywhere else abroad that is now open to US travelers? I miss traveling internationally!
thanks!
Old May 17, 2021, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Currently the USA (not DL) requires COVID-19 tests for everyone, including those who are vaccinated, before flights from Europe to the USA. [Of course there would be exceptions for small children, diplomats, etc. IIRC there's also an exception for someone who has proof of a recent infection and recovery.]
Old May 17, 2021, 12:37 pm
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Currently the USA (not DL) requires COVID-19 tests for everyone, including those who are vaccinated, before flights from Europe to the USA. [Of course there would be exceptions for small children, diplomats, etc. IIRC there's also an exception for someone who has proof of a recent infection and recovery.]
oh yes, I do know that already. But where do I find testing in a foreign country?
Old May 17, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
United just partnered with Abbott Labs on this front and it appears the test they are using is publicly available from CVS:

https://hub.united.com/2021-05-12-un...652963699.html

https://www.cvs.com/shop/abbott-binaxnow-covid-19-antigen-self-test-2-tests-for-serial-testing-prodid-550147

Now whether you can use it for DL, I don't know, but it would seem from a brief glance that it would be a good option (you just don't get the integration that they offering via their UA partnership directly with your trip details and record).

United also has a nicely built out website to find testing providers. You may be able to find local places in Athens from here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly....html#provider

EDIT: see post below for correct version to buy, CVS version doesn’t qualify

Last edited by Duke787; May 17, 2021 at 4:42 pm
Old May 17, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Duke787
United just partnered with Abbott Labs on this front and it appears the test they are using is publicly available from CVS:

https://hub.united.com/2021-05-12-un...652963699.html

https://www.cvs.com/shop/abbott-bina...-prodid-550147

Now whether you can use it for DL, I don't know, but it would seem from a brief glance that it would be a good option (you just don't get the integration that they offering via their UA partnership directly with your trip details and record).
Be careful here. The "Home Test" (available from emed.com, for example) will in fact allow entry into the US. The "Self Test" you referenced in the second link (commonly availably at pharmacies) is not approved and won't work for this purpose.
Old May 17, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
We recently visited Mexico and our resort set up and coordinated all of the testing required. I'm sure it was in the cost of the room, but we didn't see a separate line item. I would think that your location would help you obtain testing. It is in their best interest to do so or they would lose tourist business.
Old May 17, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Last week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) expanded the testing program for international travel to the United States, allowing airlines to accept at-home instant tests that include remote supervision.

I purchased a six-pack of Abbott’s BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test for $150 through eMed, which includes supervision for each test and currently appears to be the only at-home instant test to meet the CDC’s supervision requirement (at this time, the CDC hasn’t released a list of eligible tests).

For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.

While this eMed six-pack is compliant, a similar version sold through pharmacies may not be, so be sure to select the option that includes an “eMed Certified Guide.”

My six-pack arrived the day after I placed my order, and appeared to be valid through Sept. 17, so I’ll be able to use the remaining kits for future trips. You’ll need to order the kit before you depart the U.S., and bring it along on your trip so you can complete the test within the required three-day window.
Old May 17, 2021, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Be careful with using any at home test, regardless of guided or not. Many countries don't accept any test that is done at home by yourself (guided or not).

It may meet US entry requirements, but not meet other countries entry requirements, their requirements to fly out of US on non-US airline or for flying back from other country.
Old May 17, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Per the OP's actual question, it is very easy to get a pre-flight Covid test right at Athens airport. From the airport website:

https://www.aia.gr/en/traveler/travellers-info/faq-for-covid19

"Is there a facility for diagnostic tests for SARS-COV-2 (Covid-19) at the airport premises? Can I take a diagnostic test at the airport premises?Kindly be advised of the availability to perform diagnostic test for SARS-COV-2 (Covid-19) at Athens airport, at the specially configured testing point of Athens Medical Center, located on the Arrivals level, between exits 2 and 3. Both types of test can be performed, molecular based (PCR) or Rapid (Antigen) test.

The testing point operates daily on a 24-hour basis. You may proceed for testing without an appointment. Payment options available at the testing point include the use of POS machine accepting debit / credit card or cash.

Registration & payment procedure for the molecular based test can be also accomplished electronically through the platform https://payments.iatriko.gr/. Details and important information are included in the section “Frequently Asked Questions” of the platform.

Test results for molecular (PCR) test will be delivered to you, by email, within approximately 24 hours. Response time varies according to sampling time or volume of tests.

Test results for rapid (Antigen) test are available 15-20 minutes after completion of sampling. For any further information, please contact Athens Medical Center representatives at [email protected]."
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by PMFR
Last week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) expanded the testing program for international travel to the United States, allowing airlines to accept at-home instant tests that include remote supervision.

I purchased a six-pack of Abbott’s BinaxNOW COVID-19 Home Test for $150 through eMed, which includes supervision for each test and currently appears to be the only at-home instant test to meet the CDC’s supervision requirement (at this time, the CDC hasn’t released a list of eligible tests).

For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.

While this eMed six-pack is compliant, a similar version sold through pharmacies may not be, so be sure to select the option that includes an “eMed Certified Guide.”

My six-pack arrived the day after I placed my order, and appeared to be valid through Sept. 17, so I’ll be able to use the remaining kits for future trips. You’ll need to order the kit before you depart the U.S., and bring it along on your trip so you can complete the test within the required three-day window.
The validity has been expanded to 12 months (also confirmed by eMed rep via email).

Old May 17, 2021, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this a saliva test or nasal swab?
Old May 17, 2021, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this a saliva test or nasal swab?
The eMed test is a nasal swab.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/...ravel-now.html

The test you can buy at the drug store is not accepted for international travel requirements.

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; May 17, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Old May 17, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
Get rid of these tests already. Having to test, to come home to the U.S., is crazy! Someone is making money...
Whiskarina likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by PMFR

I'm wondering if medical providers (physicians, NPs, PAs) can self-administer their own home tests without supervision?
Old May 18, 2021, 1:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by googs185
I'm wondering if medical providers (physicians, NPs, PAs) can self-administer their own home tests without supervision?
Absolutely!

But like everyone else, it would be wholly unacceptable for US return purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.