Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Europe from USA - Layover Restrictions???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Hi!

I am traveling from DC to Croatia with a layover in JFK and a second layover in Barcelona.

These are two separate itineraries with a self transfer in Barcelona.

Would I be able to get through to Croatia with just a 2 hr layover in Barcelona?

The travel restrictions are a bit unclear online.

Thanks for the help!
Old May 10, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by katyaann
Hi!

I am traveling from DC to Croatia with a layover in JFK and a second layover in Barcelona.

These are two separate itineraries with a self transfer in Barcelona.

Would I be able to get through to Croatia with just a 2 hr layover in Barcelona?

The travel restrictions are a bit unclear online.

Thanks for the help!
Unless you are authorized to travel directly from Schengen to the US, you cannot travel from Croatia to the US via the Schengen area.
Going through Istanbul or Belgrade are viable options.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

In addition to the above, a 2hr transfer time on separate tickets is very risky and even more so if you have checked baggage.

there is talk of the eu potentially allowing vaccinated citizens in but no timescale as yet.

Regards

Tbs
Old May 10, 2021, 10:37 am

The crucial thing is there being two separate itineraries, so presumably not booked as a connection. At least last summer and fall, you could transfer at a Schengen airport as long as you didn't need to clear passport control there (although the individual countries added extra rules for transfers). The airline generally wouldn't let a U.S. traveler check in if the ticket shows a destination of Barcelona.
Old May 12, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
There's no chance of making a 2-hour separate ticket connection in BCN and no chance of avoiding the requirements to enter Spain if you have booked separate tickets.
Old May 12, 2021, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by craigthemif
There's no chance of making a 2-hour separate ticket connection in BCN and no chance of avoiding the requirements to enter Spain if you have booked separate tickets.
Correct. Currently you'd be denied boarding in DC because you are not qualified to enter Spain, based on what you have provided.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by DL77
Unless you are authorized to travel directly from Schengen to the US, you cannot travel from Croatia to the US via the Schengen area.
Going through Istanbul or Belgrade are viable options.
There are a few Schengen countries where a connection from US to Croatia would be permitted. Which doesn't help with what OP has already purchased of course.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As Vueling is the only carrier operating flights from Barcelona to Croatia, the answer is a straight "NOT POSSIBLE" for this transfer.
If the operating carrier for the JFK-BCN leg is LEVEL Airlines, that's "x100 NOT POSSIBLE".
Old May 13, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have a somewhat similar question for my fight to Croatia. Outbound LAX-CDG-DBV, return ZAG-CDG-LAX. Both are one-way tickets but each under one PNR. Will I encounter any issues transiting through CDG?

I am fully vaccinated. Based on CDG’s website, I don’t think I will need a Covid test before boarding at LAX. Am I correct?
Old May 13, 2021, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by sleepro
I have a somewhat similar question for my fight to Croatia. Outbound LAX-CDG-DBV, return ZAG-CDG-LAX. Both are one-way tickets but each under one PNR. Will I encounter any issues transiting through CDG?

I am fully vaccinated. Based on CDG’s website, I don’t think I will need a Covid test before boarding at LAX. Am I correct?
No issues as Croatia is not in the Schengen zone. With a US passport, that transfer is easily doable.

For the COVID test part, I am not sure.
sleepro likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
No issues as Croatia is not in the Schengen zone. With a US passport, that transfer is easily doable.
Even if Croatia was in Schengen, there would be no issue for an American citizen.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
no issue at all.

Correct. And you don’t need one to enter Croatia as you are fully vaccinated.
sleepro likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Even if Croatia was in Schengen, there would be no issue for an American citizen.
I don't think US citizens are able to enter France at the moment.
Emmanuel Macron has mentioned a date "9 June" but I haven't seen anything official on that.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you guys!
Old May 14, 2021, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I don't think US citizens are able to enter France at the moment.
Emmanuel Macron has mentioned a date "9 June" but I haven't seen anything official on that.
you are correct, but OP doesn’t want to enter France. Just connect in CDG.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.