Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling to the US after the India ban for Indian citizens not based in India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to the US after the India ban for Indian citizens not based in India

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
In time, all the loopholes will be closed, but then there will be cases where travel is of an emergency status--then what?

Perfect case in point is my wife's family friend who lives in London whose daughter in SFO passed away from covid (she was under 35). It is a shock and terrible for her two kids and husband. But UK to USA isn't possible. These are either the collateral damages from the pandemic or there has to be some processes introduced to help these situations on a case by case basis that can't be abused.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
Makes sense. though. BBC reported several Pakistanis who used this loophole to evade British quarantine rules. UK citizens from Pakistan figured a 14 day stay in Istanbul was cheaper than the 1500 Pound hotel deal back home. Travel agents in Pakistan started selling this as a package to return to UK via Turkey.
Glad its closed now.
I don't see how this is a loophole and why would it be beneficial to have it closed (from the UK's perspective, I understand the Turkish decision). The point of the UK quarantine requirement is to prevent a spread by people coming from high-risk location. If someone spends two weeks in Turkey, an eventual infection contracted in Pakistan is no longer a concern from the public health perspective. Their previous travel history is completely irrelevant.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SamirD
In time, all the loopholes will be closed, but then there will be cases where travel is of an emergency status--then what?

Perfect case in point is my wife's family friend who lives in London whose daughter in SFO passed away from covid (she was under 35). It is a shock and terrible for her two kids and husband. But UK to USA isn't possible. These are either the collateral damages from the pandemic or there has to be some processes introduced to help these situations on a case by case basis that can't be abused.
I'm surprised that in this case, there's no exception for a relative of a USA citizen or permanent resident.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that in this case, there's no exception for a relative of a USA citizen or permanent resident.
The US continues to have exceptions for foreign relatives of US citizens and US LPRs. It's just that there are also people who want the exceptions to be widened to cover even more foreign relatives and friends than is already the case.
SeaMeFly and ISTFlyer like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Once I researched it, there are specific exceptions for these type of cases, so that's good.
Old May 11, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

Certainly a time of shock and sadness for the loved ones she left behind but as I recall, New Zealand's isolation policy was working very well until they let in some family members on a bereavement exception to quarantine. In Hawaii, funerals and other family gatherings have tended to be the spreader events. Here on FT we had quite a few people who thought they were young and healthy and should be allowed to enjoy the benefits of travel when everyone else was cooped up. Everyone thinks they're different and should have exceptions made for them. Unfortunately in the US, we have about 100 million of these people wanting exceptional handling and are then surprised when we have spikes or can't control the outbreaks.

Getting back to the subject, the OP appears to have good documentation to show he wasn't in India for the 14 days prior to entry so he should be good to go. It's interesting to see that some people thought about the situation this past year and were able to make some money and provide a needed service with basically quarantine vacations that enabled safe international travel.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 3:27 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
A friend who lives in India and is an Indian citizen needs to visit the US. He is fully vaccinated with Covishield (AstraZeneca equivalent) over 2 weeks ago. Are there any options for countries other than Mexico where he can go for 15 days before going to the US?

Right now he is looking at taking an Air France or Lufthansa flight to Mexico.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by piyush
A friend who lives in India and is an Indian citizen needs to visit the US. He is fully vaccinated with Covishield (AstraZeneca equivalent) over 2 weeks ago. Are there any options for countries other than Mexico where he can go for 15 days before going to the US?

Right now he is looking at taking an Air France or Lufthansa flight to Mexico.
I don't think anything has changed with regards to Indians coming to the USA, and I expect it won't anytime soon as things begin to lock down again due to the newest strain. Our friend's mom is supposed to coming here in September and she fully expects that to get pushed yet again.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:27 pm

I don't think anything has changed with regards to Indians coming to the USA, and I expect it won't anytime soon as things begin to lock down again due to the newest strain. Our friend's mom is supposed to coming here in September and she fully expects that to get pushed yet again.
Thanks. I'm just wondering which other countries they can go to for 15 days before they go to the US. Currently they are looking at Mexico and Russia.

They are also trying to find out if anyone is doing shared air charters to Mexico.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by piyush; Jul 26, 2021 at 10:38 pm
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by piyush
Thanks. I'm just wondering which other countries they can go to for 15 days before they go to the US. Currently they are looking at Mexico and Russia.
If they are vaccinated, Georgia allows entry and there is a flight DEL-IST-TBS, from TBS there are multiple ways to get to the US, TK again will be easier, doing TBS-IST-SFO or TBS-IST-ORD.

Need to check closely if Georgia has additional requirements for people coming from India.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 11:19 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Maldives is an option once again I believe from July 15th. Indians are allowed back with PCR test etc in uninhabited islands. !4 days and then Qatar, emirates ,TK etc to USA.

Bob
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by invisible
If they are vaccinated, Georgia allows entry and there is a flight DEL-IST-TBS, from TBS there are multiple ways to get to the US, TK again will be easier, doing TBS-IST-SFO or TBS-IST-ORD.

Need to check closely if Georgia has additional requirements for people coming from India.
Thanks. It looks like Georgia has mandatory quarantine for anyone who has been in India in the last 14 days.

Embassy of Georgia to the Republic of India and the Permanent Representation to the Economic and Social Commission of the United Nations (mfa.gov.ge)

"Except for any person traveling from the Republic of India (regardless of citizenship and full course of vaccination) as well as persons having a history of travel to the Republic of India for the last 14 days. They are subject to a negative PCR test conducted in the last 72 hours prior to the visit to Georgia at the border and then – a mandatory 14-day quarantine (in the case of foreigners, at their own expense)."

Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
Maldives is an option once again I believe from July 15th. Indians are allowed back with PCR test etc in uninhabited islands. !4 days and then Qatar, emirates ,TK etc to USA.

Bob
Thanks.

Maldives is actually a good option. Flights are relatively cheap as well but my friend felt 15 days in Maldives would be too much.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.