Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for connecting through LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Hi...I'm looking to book CDG-LHR-LAX and was wondering if the UK government requires me to show proof of a negative Covid test to connect through Heathrow on a 3 hour layover. Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Will any airline let you board without a negative test?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:48 am
Original Poster

AA does.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:15 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aztec93
AA does.
AA does not fly between CDG and LHR. You will not be able to board a flight to LHR in CDG unless you have completed the passenger locator form and have proof of a negative Covid test in the 3 days before departure from CDG. Check the following thread (wiki post should give you a summary)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...val-tests.html

and this post for the rules for passengers in transit.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33067045-post6268.html
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

You would need a negative covid test in any event to enter the US

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...r%20proof%20of

Regards

TBS
aj411, Often1 and seigex like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Presuming that your connection means one ticket, your carrier -- BA, I presume? - will not permit you to board in order to enter the US. AA will recheck that at LHR. You should review both TIMATIC and the specifics of the US CDC Order.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
The same test will do double duty for the U.K. transit and the U.S. entry. Just time the 3-day/72-hour limit to suit. Both countries are happy with an antigen test, if you can find that in France and it's cheaper than a PCR.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info. Probably should've mentioned that the route in question is CDG-LHR on BA and LHR-LAX on AA. I'm basically trying to decide how much of a hassle it will be to connect through LHR, compared to DFW. The biz class fare through Heathrow is considerable cheaper at this point than the one through Dallas. So, if I need a Covid test for the USA anyway, it might be worth it. Again, thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:49 am
Suspended

The ordinary advice is to fly nonstop between origin & destination jurisdiction, e.g. France & US because every additional jurisdiction creates potential problems. At the moment, UK rules make this an easy regulatory & physical transfer at T-5. So long as you time the test to comply with UK 72 hours and US 3 calendar days, the mechanics are not currently an issue.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
You should get the PCR before boarding CDG since you'll need it anyway, but to answer your question, I wasn't required to have a COVID when boarding from either LAX-DFW-LHR-IST (AA, AA then BA) or DBV-LHR-LAX (BA then AA) last October (neither IST nor LAX required PCR tests).. but that was before the US requirement for US Citizen PCR tests to enter the US. UK had no requirement though. 3 hour layover at T-5, didn't even check to see if I completed a passenger locator form either direction. I don't know if AA checks for PCR test before boarding, only experience I had needing a PCR was IST-FRA-DBV, which was Turkish and Croatian Airlines, but I wasn't checked until I went through DBV border enforcement.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Often1. I totally agree with you that making France to US my first leg would be the wise decision.,,.but the lure of saving some $$$ is clouding my judgement! The travel date would be mid-June, so who knows how things will be then. Again, thanks for the input.

Thank, seigex. Yeah, I flew CDG-DFW in October and AA didn't ask for anything re: Covid testing.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 22, 2021 at 11:39 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seigex
You should get the PCR before boarding CDG since you'll need it anyway, but to answer your question, I wasn't required to have a COVID when boarding from either LAX-DFW-LHR-IST (AA, AA then BA) or DBV-LHR-LAX (BA then AA) last October (neither IST nor LAX required PCR tests).. but that was before the US requirement for US Citizen PCR tests to enter the US. UK had no requirement though. 3 hour layover at T-5, didn't even check to see if I completed a passenger locator form either direction. I don't know if AA checks for PCR test before boarding, only experience I had needing a PCR was IST-FRA-DBV, which was Turkish and Croatian Airlines, but I wasn't checked until I went through DBV border enforcement.
To be clear, AA only requires what destination, connection & transit jurisdictions require. AA has no independent testing requirement.

By way of example, for any flight to the US, CDC requires the carrier to confirm the test result and deny boarding if it is not available (or otherwise excepted). Thus, AA will require a test result and has the obligation to check. If it failed to do so in some random instance, that does not change the requirement.

Simply check TIMATIC as one would for any international trip and the requirements for that specific individual & journey should be displayed as of today.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
To be clear, AA only requires what destination, connection & transit jurisdictions require. AA has no independent testing requirement.

By way of example, for any flight to the US, CDC requires the carrier to confirm the test result and deny boarding if it is not available (or otherwise excepted). Thus, AA will require a test result and has the obligation to check. If it failed to do so in some random instance, that does not change the requirement.

Simply check TIMATIC as one would for any international trip and the requirements for that specific individual & journey should be displayed as of today.
Right.. that's why I phrased it like I did. I was making the point that LHR didn't cause me any hassle which was his question.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:12 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The ordinary advice is to fly nonstop between origin & destination jurisdiction, e.g. France & US because every additional jurisdiction creates potential problems. At the moment, UK rules make this an easy regulatory & physical transfer at T-5. So long as you time the test to comply with UK 72 hours and US 3 calendar days, the mechanics are not currently an issue.
Well before COVID I did a T5 to T5, BA (ZRH-LHR-JFK), the amount of walking plus intra terminal train took longer than T5 to T3 transfers.
I would have assumed that T5 to T5 would be shorter distance and timewise...but it wasn't.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aztec93
I flew CDG-DFW in October and AA didn't ask for anything re: Covid testing.
It’s not AA’s decision. The requirement for a negative Covid test for all inbound international travel to the US only started in January 2021.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...al-travel.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.