Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Scrap quarantine – testing is just as effective, says new study

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2021, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum

The UK telegraph is reporting the below.

The chief executive of Virgin Atlantic has urged the UK Government to push for “seamless travel” when borders reopen, as a report shows a single Covid-19 test on arrival is as effective as a 10-day quarantine.

A study by Edge Health and Oxera revealed that rapid antigen tests can reduce the number of “infectious days” of international travellers by 63 per cent— the same rate as those forced to isolate for 10 days under current rules. Their findings have been submitted to the Global Travel Taskforce.

If the Government were to introduce a ‘traffic light’ system for arrivals, the report suggests “a single test strategy could be appropriate for countries categorised as medium-risk”, with quarantine requirements scrapped. And those entering the UK from countries with higher rates of coronavirus would only need to quarantine for three days if a two-test strategy – PCR and antigen – was introduced.

Responding to the report, Shai Weiss, head of Virgin Atlantic, said his company “believe that international travel can safely restart at scale” by following the “scientific evidence”.

Seamless travel “must remain the objective, enabling the free movement of people and goods that are vital to the UK’s economic recovery”, he added.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...ine-passports/
DL77, ajGoes, lobo411 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Whilst we can all appreciate that airlines are incredibly desperate to see their business return, they will undoubtedly offer any way out to do so. I sympathise.

Scrapping quarantine doesn’t on the face of it sound that ideal to control viruses. Once a person is done with the airline and airport, there are still many variables in this which could still lead to a worse case scenario.

Testing from what I gather isn’t fall proof. Isolating oneself and testing is really the only way to ensure better outcomes. I don’t think we need scientists to help us understand that. If someone is sick we often jest to ‘stay away’

Unfortunately whether we accept it or not flying and moving between countries is exactly why we have this health crisis. Containing it for the time being is one of the few options. Vaccines and testing, isolating, masks, distancing will and are helping to regain our lives. Travel, hospitality and the arts have/are going to suffer the most no matter how much we want them back.

Gosh I don’t envy anyone who has to make these critical decisions. It’s very much damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
Resolution likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:34 pm
Suspended

This hasn't been about reality or what works and makes sense for a looooong time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.