Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Where can I travel to get the Covid-19 vaccine? Shots to non-citizens [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where can I travel to get the Covid-19 vaccine? Shots to non-citizens [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SamirD
Ultimately they wouldn't give me the second dose because I wanted it sooner than the CDC guidelines..
From an immunology point of view, getting a second dose early is illogical, it's not how it works. If this is Pfizer then if you get a second dose before 21 days (or to be more precise, 19 elapsed days between jabs) then it is regarded as discounted, and you would have to have a third dose after 21 days. From an immunology point of view it would be better to wait longer than go shorter. Here in the UK our guidance hasn't been updated for Moderna yet, but I bet it will be the same as Pfizer.

Originally Posted by Public Health England
If the second dose of the COVID-19 mRNA Vaccine BNT162b2 is given less than 19 days after the first dose, the dose should be discounted and another dose (a third dose) should be given at least 21 days after the dose given too early. The 19 day interval is the minimum interval that was used in the clinical trials.

If the second dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is given at less than the recommended 28 day interval, but at least 21 days after the first dose, it does not need to be repeated. If the second dose is given less than 21 days after the first, it should be discounted and another dose (a third dose) should be given at least 28 days after the dose given too early.
GUWonder and nk15 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Went today for my second dose and they needed ID as well as some more paperwork. Ultimately they wouldn't give me the second dose because I wanted it sooner than the CDC guidelines. (Like they really care since there's so many legal releases anyways--it's my life.) I have to return on a later date. I guess I should have just told them it was my first dose and not shown my cdc card and I would have gotten it, but I didn't expect this type of pushback since they get paid either way, and have cya docs, so why would they care.
They did you a favor.

From a travel perspective, you may want to see if Iceland would deny you entry as a vaccinated US visitor to Iceland if your CDC card(s) showed that the Pfizer-B vaccinations were less than 21 days apart. If you showed up with the vaccinations as less than 19 days apart, it seems like they would deny you entry on that vaccination basis.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 6, 2021 at 6:34 am
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:13 am

What do you think about getting a 2nd dose of a different vaccine in a different country? I'm in a different country to my first dose vaccine (UK, AZ) and I can get a 2nd dose of something else (US, not-AZ). From a health perspective, is it better to treat it as a first dose and get a full course of non-AZ, or treat it as a 2nd dose? What about from the perspective of obtaining "documentation of being vacc'd"? Not sure whether I will get back at 12 weeks to UK for dose2 AZ. If I do, should I complete the AZ course anyway even if I got a Pf/Mod in the US? Or if it's well after 12 weeks from dose1, is it better to just wait for a booster in the fall?
I understand no one on the board (or anywhere in the universe) really knows definite answers, but wondered if there were others in the same boat who'd considered various aspects of the question
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by under2100
What do you think about getting a 2nd dose of a different vaccine in a different country? I'm in a different country to my first dose vaccine (UK, AZ) and I can get a 2nd dose of something else (US, not-AZ). From a health perspective, is it better to treat it as a first dose and get a full course of non-AZ, or treat it as a 2nd dose? What about from the perspective of obtaining "documentation of being vacc'd"? Not sure whether I will get back at 12 weeks to UK for dose2 AZ. If I do, should I complete the AZ course anyway even if I got a Pf/Mod in the US? Or if it's well after 12 weeks from dose1, is it better to just wait for a booster in the fall?
I understand no one on the board (or anywhere in the universe) really knows definite answers, but wondered if there were others in the same boat who'd considered various aspects of the question
One could reasonably argue that one dose is all you need from *any* of the sources so far -- after two weeks you've got 80-90% of the total effect.

Follow the protocols, don't mix and match for now. Would it matter? Probably not. Would it be *better*? My gut tells me it would just from a "lets test the immune system slightly differently" perspective. But we don't have the data, so let's not do our own individual clinical trials.

Whatever you do, don't rush the process. It won't do you any good. Delaying the second dose is likely much, much more beneficial than accelerating it, if given a choice. If you moved on and you *can't* get the second dose from the same manufacturer more than 3-4 weeks after dose #1, then by all means, get the second dose of something else. That's the recommendation.
under2100 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Yreal
Has anyone figured out how to get it in serbia yet?
Also curious about this. Haven't really read any first hand info on it.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Under UK protocols, perhaps if this was the other way around (e.g. an American arriving in the UK with Moderna, which isn't yet here) then after 12 weeks we would offer to vaccinate you with another vaccine. You'd have to discuss this with a doctor as to whether to stick to the mRNA technology, i.e. Pfizer, or whether to go for something fully different, ie AZ. But we would want you to have a second dose at that point. In your shoes, given you are on AZ, if you get much beyond 16 weeks I'd accept whatever second dose you can get, given an AZ start point; had you accepted Pfizer for dose 1 then you better do something around week 12. There is nothing holy about 12 / 16 weeks, these are booster shots, and there may be an Autumn 2021 booster shot for everyone anyway, with a reconfiguration of your first pair of vaccines or something deliberately different. I know of people who had AZ and then Pfizer, they are all doing fine, and I doubt Moderna is any better or worse in this context. In the UK mixing vaccines is permitted, but not considered best practice.

The different vaccines have been discussed in terms of their technology and slightly different launch processes immediately after vaccination. However the underlying immunology processes are very similar for all the vaccines, and over the longer term I suspect the general impact of the vaccines to be fairly similar. The differences in percentages seen in media reports can be explained by different testing approaches and methodologies. The vaccines' development is all very new and exciting, in terms of future potential, but the underlying immunisation process with these vaccines is essentially the same as when they were first used against smallpox in 1796, it's very old technology. So in short, it shouldn't matter much.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Under UK protocols, perhaps if this was the other way around (e.g. an American arriving in the UK with Moderna, which isn't yet here) then after 12 weeks we would offer to vaccinate you with another vaccine. You'd have to discuss this with a doctor as to whether to stick to the mRNA technology, i.e. Pfizer, or whether to go for something fully different, ie AZ. But we would want you to have a second dose at that point. In your shoes, given you are on AZ, if you get much beyond 16 weeks I'd accept whatever second dose you can get, given an AZ start point; had you accepted Pfizer for dose 1 then you better do something around week 12. There is nothing holy about 12 / 16 weeks, these are booster shots, and there may be an Autumn 2021 booster shot for everyone anyway, with a reconfiguration of your first pair of vaccines or something deliberately different. I know of people who had AZ and then Pfizer, they are all doing fine, and I doubt Moderna is any better or worse in this context. In the UK mixing vaccines is permitted, but not considered best practice.

The different vaccines have been discussed in terms of their technology and slightly different launch processes immediately after vaccination. However the underlying immunology processes are very similar for all the vaccines, and over the longer term I suspect the general impact of the vaccines to be fairly similar. The differences in percentages seen in media reports can be explained by different testing approaches and methodologies. The vaccines' development is all very new and exciting, in terms of future potential, but the underlying immunisation process with these vaccines is essentially the same as when they were first used against smallpox in 1796, it's very old technology. So in short, it shouldn't matter much.
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response. I've still got time before the 12 week mark, so maybe I'll sit tight for now and see if my options become clearer closer to that time.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold
CA locations

I will get the details from my friend in ATL and PM you.

Another excellent web site to find a vaccine: https://www.vaccinespotter.org/

Using this, I was able to find a local appointment for Monday (just 2 days away!). And my wife was able to do the same.

Thanks for the link. Only Rite Aids have appointments close to where I can be. When your wife went to Rite Aid did they have a choice of jabs or just the J&J.

Bob
Old Apr 6, 2021, 5:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver
TX has no residency requirement either: https://www.dshs.texas.gov/covidvaccine/
Old Apr 6, 2021, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response. I've still got time before the 12 week mark, so maybe I'll sit tight for now and see if my options become clearer closer to that time.
My instinct would be to think about your goals. Do you want reasonably good protection ASAP, proven (documented by empirical studies) maximum protection, convenience, or documentation for travel, etc.? For documentation, mix and match (or anything that hasn't been generally accepted by various government agencies) might not work for vaccine passports or their euivalnets.
under2100 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
We've had similar questions asked at the vaccine clinic. Advice is to get a second dose at the time interval recommended from your first dose, ideally of the same vaccine, but if not it is better to get a different vaccine than nothing. We've had elderly patients who received Pfizer first and are now living in care homes so receiving AZ as their second shot. We've also had people with AZ booked appointments saying they were intending emigrating before the second dose, so should they hold off. The advice has always been to take your first vaccine as soon as offered and match your second if you can, but if not take something else rather than nothing. (England/ UK advice)
under2100 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
We've had similar questions asked at the vaccine clinic. Advice is to get a second dose at the time interval recommended from your first dose, ideally of the same vaccine, but if not it is better to get a different vaccine than nothing. We've had elderly patients who received Pfizer first and are now living in care homes so receiving AZ as their second shot. We've also had people with AZ booked appointments saying they were intending emigrating before the second dose, so should they hold off. The advice has always been to take your first vaccine as soon as offered and match your second if you can, but if not take something else rather than nothing. (England/ UK advice)
Thanks for that, that's very useful to know. I hadn't thought to ask when I got my shot. It makes sense the way you explain it. I can call my GP closer to the time as well, but I imagine they'll say different 2nd is better than no 2nd as well. Maybe by then, the study on mixed vaccines will have released its results.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My instinct would be to think about your goals. Do you want reasonably good protection ASAP, proven (documented by empirical studies) maximum protection, convenience, or documentation for travel, etc.? For documentation, mix and match (or anything that hasn't been generally accepted by various government agencies) might not work for vaccine passports or their euivalnets.
Good point. Well I guess the most important is always health. But I think it's not so much the mix and match but the fact that it's from two different countries that might be thorny.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Originally Posted by lhioseddy
Also curious about this. Haven't really read any first hand info on it.
This is the supposed signup link

https://imunizacija.euprava.gov.rs/
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
These two guys decided to get a vaccinated before their selected age group, so they just dressed up like seniors, and dyed their hair but they got caught anyway. LOL The vaccination center they went to was in my delegation

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cor...904f-350104330

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.