Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Where can I travel to get the Covid-19 vaccine? Shots to non-citizens [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where can I travel to get the Covid-19 vaccine? Shots to non-citizens [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2021, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Misco60
That is not necessarily true.

In the AstraZeneca trials, for example, the placebo is a proven (and safe) SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, which causes side effects similar to those of the COVID-19 vaccine. I would imagine that other drug companies do the same, as it is vital that the participants do not know which one they receive (in order that they don’t behave differently).
Doesn't that raise the possibility of the SARS vaccine conditioning the immune system to better respond to COVID? I know they are not the same, but it seems like it could be a factor for at least a few people, which would potentially skew the data. It is safe to say that most people's immune system is successful at fighting off COVID w/o a vaccine (hence why most cases are mild or no symptoms). I would think an immune system previously exposed to another type of coronavirus would be on guard and may be better primed? Definitely not my area of expertise, but I am genuinely curious. It would seem that a previous trial to test the SARS vaccine against COVID would be necessary as a control.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 12:14 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
That is not necessarily true.

In the AstraZeneca trials, for example, the placebo is a proven (and safe) SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, which causes side effects similar to those of the COVID-19 vaccine. I would imagine that other drug companies do the same, as it is vital that the participants do not know which one they receive (in order that they don’t behave differently).
Moderna and Pfizer both claim that the placebo is saline so with those trials it should be clear I haven't heard that about AZ... interesting...
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by doc4science
Moderna and Pfizer both claim that the placebo is saline so with those trials it should be clear I haven't heard that about AZ... interesting...
I should make it clear that I'm no expert and am only repeating what I heard in a discussion on the radio. I might have got the wrong end of the stick. But it was stated that if participants can work out that they received the actual vaccine then their behaviour might change.

Perhaps Moderna and Pfizer result in less pronounced side effects in the first place. I received the AZ jab and was really quite ill the next day.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Mrs Bluemoon had her first Astra Zeneca vaccine as a result of volunteering in the local vaccine centre (UK). Undoubtedly it was a genuine vaccine, she experienced no side effects at all. I wouldn't automatically assume that having no side effects indicates a placebo.

To get protected from the virus? If you have not got infected yet, then you and the place you are living are doing something right and keep doing it until vaccination is available in your area.
I disagree, we know many friends and neighbours who have succumbed to covid, particularly around March 2020 and December 2020. Although we have been following the rules, there have been instances where we have felt lucky not to have been infected. We could both have been asymptomatic, but we are in our late 50s so would have expected at least one of us to have had a vague awareness of being ill.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68

I disagree, we know many friends and neighbours who have succumbed to covid, particularly around March 2020 and December 2020. Although we have been following the rules, there have been instances where we have felt lucky not to have been infected. We could both have been asymptomatic, but we are in our late 50s so would have expected at least one of us to have had a vague awareness of being ill.
Not necessarily my sister in law works in a care home and has had many residents over 85 being completely asymptomatic and unaware they had Covid until receiving a positive test.
WillTravel likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
If you state the country you would get much better help. I suspect many countries with a large number of unregistered expats (e.g. Mexico, Costa Rica) will be flexible.
You need a CURP number (like an SSN) in Mexico to get the vaccine and you have to register on line and be a Senior. So, no, anybody can't get vaccinated.

If senior aged foreign "residents" have a CURP number, then they can get vaccinated.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Feb 6, 2021 at 6:43 am
Old Feb 6, 2021, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are any of the countries that encourage medical tourism (Thailand would be an example, while Singapore seems to have some very good private hospitals and clinics as well as their excellent public system) providing vaccines to foreign visitors who are willing to pay? There are some clinics and hospitals that seem to have good reputations. [Other examples would be American Hospital in Paris plus the private practices in London, but IIRC the UK is distributing vaccine through their public system.]

Is the OP willing to accept the Chinese or Russian vaccines, for instance, or only those that have been approved by the EU, UK or USA?
Old Feb 6, 2021, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are any of the countries that encourage medical tourism (Thailand would be an example, while Singapore seems to have some very good private hospitals and clinics as well as their excellent public system) providing vaccines to foreign visitors who are willing to pay? There are some clinics and hospitals that seem to have good reputations. [Other examples would be American Hospital in Paris plus the private practices in London, but IIRC the UK is distributing vaccine through their public system.]

Is the OP willing to accept the Chinese or Russian vaccines, for instance, or only those that have been approved by the EU, UK or USA?
The AstraZeneca vaccine is going on sale in India in a month or two's time. Not approved in the USA, and restricted use in the EU, but it would be interesting to see if its exported to third countries for private sale:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...ses-privately/
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:24 pm

Well Cayman has been vaccinating anyone here now over 60 and also over 16 with a relevant health condition. However to come here at the moment of need a tie to the island either family here a work permit or a property here.
Also there is 2 weeks quarantine at government controlled hotel or private house it as to be inspected. Gps trackers also have to be worn and jail term if you break quarantine. Cayman is taking it very seriously but we have no covid in the community at all, we only wear masks at the Dr’s / hospital or airport, and we an have gatherings upto 1000 people. We went trough 3 months of very strict quarantine with police road blocks iD to shop (only on certain days) and total nighttime curfews.
burr and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are any of the countries that encourage medical tourism (Thailand would be an example, while Singapore seems to have some very good private hospitals and clinics as well as their excellent public system) providing vaccines to foreign visitors who are willing to pay?
Answer on above question for Singapore is big fat NO.

And answer on the original question is NOWHERE, if you want to take account the hassle and (un)certainties involved.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 6, 2021 at 8:04 pm
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:40 pm

In the AstraZeneca trials, for example, the placebo is a proven (and safe) SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, which causes side effects similar to those of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Um, SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 are one and the same! SARS-CoV-2 is the virus, and COVID-19 is the disease it causes. I think you were trying to say that the AZ placebo is a proven and safe vaccine for some other unrelated virus - like say yellow fever.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Velocipediste
Um, SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 are one and the same! SARS-CoV-2 is the virus, and COVID-19 is the disease it causes. I think you were trying to say that the AZ placebo is a proven and safe vaccine for some other unrelated virus - like say yellow fever.
Could have meant SARS, rev 1. The one which swept through Asia in the 2000's.

However, as I look to the (at least US) clinical trial, they are indicating placebo is saline.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04625972
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ryman554
Could have meant SARS, rev 1. The one which swept through Asia in the 2000's.

However, as I look to the (at least US) clinical trial, they are indicating placebo is saline.
I can clear this one up.

For the Oxford AstraZeneca trails, the researchers would prefer to offer the meningitis vaccine as the placebo, however in many places the regulatory framework is just too awkward to allow that, in other words the risk of the researchers being sued, with it being virtually impossible to get an indemnity or insure against. Consequently in the USA (and other places) the placebo indeed is sodium chloride, saline solution 0.9%, which makes up approx 75% of the real vaccine.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:31 pm

Given how many people are immigrants or undocumented in america, your best chance would be USA to get a vaccine even as a non-resident around April-May when mass-vaccinations start for general population. At that point I'm sure even if you have a foreign id you can just say you're an undocumented immigrant and get the vaccine. Right now there are tighter controls but in a few months absolutely anyone who wants should be able to get the vaccine in USA
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by cauchy
The AstraZeneca vaccine is going on sale in India in a month or two's time.
Private vaccination for a price is already available in India, although quite under the radar for now. However, have a look at which otherwise quiet airports are seeing a sudden explosion in international private jet flights and you may get an inkling of where it is happening. Very grey market for now, though not illegal. The vaccine allegedly being used is the Bharat Biotech Covaxin, which has received emergency approval in India but still hasn't completed full trials.

UAE has two possible tracks to getting a vaccination which both seem to be legal, but relatively expensive. The UAE however is using the Sinopharm and/or Astro-Zeneca vaccines. I know of a few people who have availed of this (for the first shot so far) and the agencies who provided the turnkey service charged around US$20-30k per person, excluding travel and accommodation costs in the UAE.
MSPeconomist and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.