Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Will Canada Follow Hong Kong With 21 Day Quarantine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Canada Follow Hong Kong With 21 Day Quarantine

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
Just wondering where the idea comes from that there is little or no supervision on people returning to Canada - honest question, not trying to belittle your statement and I don't work for the government of Canada, though I wish I was right now with stable and guaranteed income.

My son and I came back from Europe mid-November visiting family, especially my mother who has been waiting for us since March since that trip got cancelled and she is not getting younger.

Upon returning we filled in a form online as well as on the plane, both were printed out and passed on to Immigration at YVR.
We both live in the same household and were called 3 different times during our 2 weeks in "quarantine" which we had no problem with taking.

2 calls came from Service Canada during our first and second week and one call came from the RCMP approximately on day 10. I missed one call from Service Canada because I was upstairs and didn't hear the phone. She left a message to please answer the next call so that they could make sure we were home. She did call about 2 hours later again and we talked.

It seemed to me that they were quite diligent with following up and I have heard from others who had a personal visit from the RCMP because they couldn't be reached by phone.
Maybe we were just "lucky" and an exception but it does look like they are doing their best to follow up.

There is no way of bullet proofing this situation unless Canada does what China, New Zealand or Australia are doing and with the required test upon return to Canada coming soon, it will add another layer of protection but it won't be 100%, just have a look at what is happening in Thailand despite their current very strict entry rules.

I am not saying one or the other way is right or wrong but the government can only do so much and we as adults do have resonsibility as well. There is no way we'll be able to control everyone and everything unless we want to change to a system as can be found in a country like China.

People partying in Mexico and then returning to Canada not keeping quarantine requirements is a problem but with having to get tested before returning will for sure put off many people from going overseas, especially if testing is required in the country being visited, which is becoming more and more the norm, as well as returning which can easily add testing costs of over $ 400 per person.
Im sorry but compared to at least HK, this is hardly taking the quarentine seriously.

HK requires:

Phone App, GPS wristband, AND regular check ups, on top of the now 21 day hotel booking where you asre basically locked in for 21 days. (Is the wristband thing still in place with the hotel? When I came back in early Nov it was still in place but that was with the home quarentine option). Much more than just simple phone calls.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Im sorry but compared to at least HK, this is hardly taking the quarentine seriously.

HK requires:

Phone App, GPS wristband, AND regular check ups, on top of the now 21 day hotel booking where you asre basically locked in for 21 days. (Is the wristband thing still in place with the hotel? When I came back in early Nov it was still in place but that was with the home quarentine option). Much more than just simple phone calls.
Completely agree, although we cannot expect Canadians to take this seriously when we get leadership like this from NO less the Minister of Health back in February. Hong Kong on the other hand have long addressed head-on issues of public safety such as this, and have become culturally adept to responding appropriately.

But I suppose I got my answer to this Thread topic - Canada will NOT follow Hong Kong, instead just announced pretend action that requires pre-arrival PCR tests that of course are completely ineffectual to detect infections that occur after the test is taken and arrival at a Cdn port-of-entry..

Research supports Canada’s decision to reject a coronavirus travel ban
KELLY GRANT
HEALTH REPORTER
PUBLISHED FEBRUARY 3, 2020
GLOBE & MAIL

The federal government has decided to follow the WHO’s advice against travel bans because 'there isn’t evidence' that they effectively contain viral outbreaks, according to Health Minister Patty Hajdu, seen here on Feb. 3, 2020.

When the World Health Organization declared a public-health emergency over the outbreak of a novel coronavirus, the agency’s director-general entreated the world: Don’t impose travel restrictions on people from China.

The next day, the United States announced it would close its borders to foreign nationals who had travelled to China within the past 14 days. Other countries – Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Singapore, among them – quickly imposed travel bans of their own.

But not Canada. The federal government, in a move that drew praise from Chinese officials, has decided to follow the WHO’s advice because “there isn’t evidence” that travel bans effectively contain viral outbreaks, according to Health Minister Patty Hajdu.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 31, 2020 at 9:53 am Reason: intro

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.