Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Travelling from the UK to Atlanta, Georgia at Xmas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2020, 5:57 am
Original Poster

I'd like to start with a rider that I KNOW travel is not recommended and it's extremely unlikely I'd want to do this, but I was just wondering whether it was even feasible wrt quarantine rules in the States - I can't find out the definitive answer and whether US quarantine is MANDATORY or ADVISABLE.
My OH is an airline pilot and operating into Atlanta for 48 hours at Xmas. I'm a UK based dual citizen and have family in Georgia. The question was raised as to whether I could go out with him and see family/take gifts (even outdoors/covid spaced etc).
I have a US passport which would enable me to enter, but would I be required to do hotel quarantine for the whole 48 hour period, thus rendering the trip pointless (bearing in mind I'd have to quarantine in the UK on return)?
Please don't tell me it's a terrible idea - I do know that, but I just wondered what the actual US ruling was?

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:07 am

Given the current fractured state of our federal government, there really is no US ruling. The CDC recommends quarantine, but there is zero enforcement or requirement. Some local areas, such as NY and Chicago do have mandatory quarantines, but most places do not. I can't say with absolute certainty about Georgia, but I would be incredibly shocked to see mandatory quarantines for USA citizens anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line (including ATL). Of course, if the cases continue to skyrocket for the next month, that might have changed by Christmas.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by IKDR
I'd like to start with a rider that I KNOW travel is not recommended and it's extremely unlikely I'd want to do this, but I was just wondering whether it was even feasible wrt quarantine rules in the States - I can't find out the definitive answer and whether US quarantine is MANDATORY or ADVISABLE.
My OH is an airline pilot and operating into Atlanta for 48 hours at Xmas. I'm a UK based dual citizen and have family in Georgia. The question was raised as to whether I could go out with him and see family/take gifts (even outdoors/covid spaced etc).
I have a US passport which would enable me to enter, but would I be required to do hotel quarantine for the whole 48 hour period, thus rendering the trip pointless (bearing in mind I'd have to quarantine in the UK on return)?
Please don't tell me it's a terrible idea - I do know that, but I just wondered what the actual US ruling was?

Thanks.
Straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...lers/faqs.html

Does CDC require quarantine for 14 days after international travel?

CDC does not require international travelers undergo mandatory federal quarantine, but does recommend travels do the following after an international flight-
Get tested 3-5 days after travel AND stay home for 7 days after travel.
Even if you test negative, stay home for the full 7 days.
If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
If you don’t get tested, it’s safest to stay home for 14 days after travel.
Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
Always follow state and local recommendations or requirements related to travel.
State of Georgia information:

https://georgia.gov/covid-19-coronav...l-restrictions

COVID-19: Travel Restrictions
There are no restrictions for travel to, from, or within Georgia. If you leave your home, you must follow public health safety measures and local laws. If you test positive for COVID-19, you must follow home isolation protocol.

Your home state or country may have restrictions in place. Find out what applies to you before you travel.

If you are driving through Georgia, please follow the Georgia Department of Transportation for information about traffic, lane closures, and rest areas. If you are traveling from Georgia to another state, please be aware of the public health safety measures and local laws there.
No quarantine requirements in Cobb County or Atlanta.

https://discoveratlanta.com/coronavirus/

https://travelcobb.org/latest-touris...e-on-covid-19/
IKDR and James91 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 2 kids coming home for Christmas on the same day, one flying domestically and one from the UK. Although there are no requirements we plan to do the same for both. All of us will stay home one week. They will test on Day 5. Our house is too small for us to isolate from them. They fly back 3 and 3.5 weeks later and will do same on other end. UK student will follow the 5 day test regiment there and domestic student has same requirement in her dorm, test on day 5, then release.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 12:23 pm

It also depends where in the UK you are and whether travel out of your local area is legal.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dan1113
It also depends where in the UK you are and whether travel out of your local area is legal.
new rules mean anyone can travel over Xmas. Even before then, once English lockdown finishes on 2 December, you can travel abroad from any tier, even if you can’t travel anywhere else.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:07 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
new rules mean anyone can travel over Xmas. Even before then, once English lockdown finishes on 2 December, you can travel abroad from any tier, even if you can’t travel anywhere else.
But if the airports are in Tier 3 will you be allowed to travel to the airports? I guess we'll find out tomorrow
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
But if the airports are in Tier 3 will you be allowed to travel to the airports? I guess we'll find out tomorrow
yes, that has already been announced.

(logically it has to be that way as Heathrow is inside the London boundary, so to if it wasn’t allowed and London became tier 3 at anytime, anyone outside London couldn’t reach the airport).
Old Nov 25, 2020, 3:07 pm

Not everyone in the UK lives in England.
Dog250 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
*American mind blown*

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Not everyone in the UK lives in England.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 1:48 am

It is truly one if my biggest pet peeves, when policies relating to only England get branded as UK!
Dog250, rockflyertalk and DaveS like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don’t think it’s confirmed whether travel restrictions in tier 3 areas will be mandatory or guidance only. I have seen information which suggests either is possible.

EDIT: I would be cautious about stating this with certainty either way for tier 3 until we see the actual law.
rockflyertalk likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Nov 26, 2020 at 3:34 am
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is it possible that the rules will be changed and that travel restrictions extended? 🤔
Old Nov 26, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by downinit
Given the current fractured state of our federal government, there really is no US ruling. The CDC recommends quarantine, but there is zero enforcement or requirement. Some local areas, such as NY and Chicago do have mandatory quarantines, but most places do not. I can't say with absolute certainty about Georgia, but I would be incredibly shocked to see mandatory quarantines for USA citizens anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line (including ATL). Of course, if the cases continue to skyrocket for the next month, that might have changed by Christmas.
For the UK readers, including those from England :-), different states having different rules is not due to the "current fractured state of our federal government". The US is a collection of states and the concept of Federalism and the 10th amendment to the US Constitution, means that many powers are reserved to the states. This includes issues related to public health. This is why you see draconian measures in some states and more laissez faire measures in others.

The State of Georgia is extremely unlikely to have quarantine rules in place over Christmas. Enjoy your trip to see your family.
IKDR, RDUdrifter, Yoshi212 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don’t think it’s confirmed whether travel restrictions in tier 3 areas will be mandatory or guidance only. I have seen information which suggests either is possible.

EDIT: I would be cautious about stating this with certainty either way for tier 3 until we see the actual law.
I didn't state it until I'd heard it from a government minister on the radio. Anyway it has been confirmed now, anyone in England can leave the country, those in Tier 3 are advised not to leave their area, unless it is to travel abroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.