Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

SYD-US - fly ANA or Qatar or Etihad in J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll be relocating from SYD to the US in November and buying a one-way ticket in business class (company paid).

Right now the best fare is on ANA, however Qatar & Etihad are about $1500 more.

Any thoughts on the "safest' carrier and connection? I'm thinking Qatar seems to be the safest, but haven't really heard much about ANA & Etihad's cleanliness protocols.

ANA would have a 5-hour connection in HND and the other carriers would have about a 3-hour connection in DOH / AUH respectively.

If price wasn't an issue - which airline would be the "safest" from a Covid perspective?

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
If price wasn't an issue - which airline would be the "safest" from a Covid perspective?
All airlines implemented similar and effective anti-covid measure. Low air recirculation and HEPA filters really do their job. You need to be vigilant about your own behavior (don't touch face, pick nose, rub eyes, stay too close to other pax in lines) and your time in trasit airports.
One thing I dislike about transit in AUH and DOH is US-mandated pre-clearance. I haven't transited in either during the covid era, but historically pre-clearance area for US-bound flights was always crowded. No pre-check, business class, or any other benefits apply for that procedure.
On the positive side, DOH is a very spacious and uncrowded airport, and the QR ride is likely the most comfy, especially in Q-Suites.
Can't say the same about AUH.
bhatnasx likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
To my mind, in this circumstance, the least time on the planes alternative would start in first place in my list and I'd work it from there.
I'd probably also look into cancellation likelihoods / risks; but balance that against loads. Less passengers the better, so if one alternative is higher priced due to higher loads I'd probably scrub for that reason.

I do not know the November transit rules in the three cases. Those would need researching too.
FlyerEC and bhatnasx like this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Would think ANA will be least time on board & possibly shortest time pending which US port of entry . HND does not seem to be a particularly busy airport even in pre Covid days . It would be clean , culturally , leaning towards seriousness on matters .
All 3 airlines likely have similar strong CoVid 19 protocols
bhatnasx likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I flew ANA in J from SYD to HND in late June. My trip report is in the TR section. They (like LH) had a cut back service for Corona (meal served on one plate, no hot towels, reduced interaction with FAs etc) however it was still quite pleasant.

HND is like a ghost town so your transit time there will be very safe. (Be mindful that currently you cannot transit between HND and NRT. So check both your arriving and departing flights use the same airport.

QR has an excellent J product, however I suspect ANA would be significantly shorter??? If so that would be my preference.

Enjoy the trip.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check current testing etc. requirements for ME3 carriers and transit at their hubs. It's possible that a mandated test during travel could put you at risk for confinement in a hospital or quarantine facility of some third country.

I'd pick ANA based on what we know now, although ANA might be more of a problem if a flight is cancelled.

It sounds like the quality of the seat, meals, etc. aren't your primary concern now.

I'd also consider carriers/alliances on which I have some status as being able to get through quickly to a phone agent can make a difference if there's a problem. Howe ver, if your employer has a good travel agent with good service 24/7, this will matter much less.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Would think ANA will be least time on board & possibly shortest time pending which US port of entry. HND does not seem to be a particularly busy airport even in pre Covid days . It would be clean , culturally , leaning towards seriousness on matters
World's 4th busiest in 2018.

I would go via HND, as both ME airlines involves quite a bit of backtracking from SYD.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:26 pm

Any reason you're not choosing an American carrier?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tracon
Agreed.
USA destination?
UA are flying SFO-SYD and DL LAX-SYD
Or Air NZ SYD-AKL-LAX

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SYD-SFO...H&MS=wls&DU=mi

If an AU permanent resident you will/may need to get AU Government permission to leave.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 2, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 3, 2020, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Especially if OP's USA destination is in Southern California, I'd do the DL SYD-LAX nonstop. The J cabin will have suites with doors and 1-2-1 seating, although all seats won't be occupied. F&B will be served with minimal contact and DL seems to have a strict policy regarding the wearing of masks.

It should be relatively easy to get space leaving Australia since they're imposing strict numeral limits on the number of passengers permitted to fly into Australia due to availability of government quarantine facilities.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
Flying to IAD - the US carriers are much more expensive and I don't really want to do a domestic F connection through LAX / SFO. I'd rather fly SYD - xxx - IAD with 1 stop and not domestic flying, so the int'l carriers are better.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If an AU permanent resident you will/may need to get AU Government permission to leave.
US citizen, visa's expiring, hence leaving the country. Unable to renew, unfortunately, otherwise I'd stay here for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.