Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Discussion of possible changes to travel policies in Europe (EU, UK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of possible changes to travel policies in Europe (EU, UK)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sweden's UK flight ban is now over. And with its end, there have since now been some non-Swedes and even some (non-citizen) residents of Sweden who on arrival to Sweden from the UK have been sent back to the UK for not having a timely Covid-19 test result to show to Swedish authorities on arrival to Sweden. Since the ending of the flight ban, no UK citizens arriving into Sweden by air have been turned back by Swedish passport control for lack of anything but a failure to present a timely Covid-19 test. In other words, unless you are a Swedish citizen or a transport service worker, if you are coming to Sweden from the UK, have that timely Covid-19 test result available for presentation.

About Sweden's Denmark ban being enforced for those coming by rail to Sweden, the escalator closest to the trains arriving from Denmark was set to go back to work today even as it was still off at the time I posted my last message about it. Amusingly, the other three escalators at the Malmo Hyllie station are no longer working today, even as they were working yesterday.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by fransknorge
And in the UK they are figuring out if doing a massive experiment on their population is a good idea.
All the people I talk to are saying that right now, the travel idea and international recognition is not even on anybody radar.
It's all an experiment to a certain degree as you well know and it is hard to understand why you keep banging this drum. It is also one that is very well regulated. The people I talk to are quite happy to have the vaccination as this is the only way through it. Masks, lockdowns, travel restrictions are not cutting it. If we are to get across the line it is vaccinations whether we like it or not, or agree with it.

I was quite happy for my mother to be experimented on, I would be quite happy to be experimented on. I had this years flu jab, that was an experiment too. There is a mass vaccination program here, it started on December 8th, up until the last few days a million people had been vaccinated, and it will only ramp up. We have vaccinated more EU citizens than anyone else. Israel is experimenting too, so is Iceland, so is any country that decides to go down this experiment route. But, some people just like to wear tin foil. I am not amongst them.
LETTERBOY, paulaf, DaveS and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by bensyd
It's pretty easy to forge (like the whole yellow fever cert, but obvs with a 20%-50% mortality rate there's a pretty good incentive to get it). I have a few vaccines in my certificate but it's more of a personal record. I think you'll need something that's actually in a passport like a visa.
I have one of these, the entries are mostly handwritten by my mum.
bensyd likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's all an experiment to a certain degree as you well know and it is hard to understand why you keep banging this drum. It is also one that is very well regulated. The people I talk to are quite happy to have the vaccination as this is the only way through it. Masks, lockdowns, travel restrictions are not cutting it. If we are to get across the line it is vaccinations whether we like it or not, or agree with it.

I was quite happy for my mother to be experimented on, I would be quite happy to be experimented on. I had this years flu jab, that was an experiment too. There is a mass vaccination program here, it started on December 8th, up until the last few days a million people had been vaccinated, and it will only ramp up. We have vaccinated more EU citizens than anyone else. Israel is experimenting too, so is Iceland, so is any country that decides to go down this experiment route. But, some people just like to wear tin foil. I am not amongst them.
The UK has been toying with the time in between the initial and secondary doses of the vaccine in a way that is not happening in the US. I've got relatives in both countries who have already gotten at least one shot of some sort of approved Covid-19 vaccine. I think they all prefer that they receive the same kind of vaccine each time and have the time frame match that which was used when the authorities in the US initially provided approval. But the UK variation in vaccinating approach won't likely have any impact on foreign visitor travel policies in Europe any more so than the US variation in vaccinating approach would have on travel policies in the EU/Schengen area for US visitors.

If European countries want to see visa-waiver foreigners present proof of vaccination on arrival as a condition of entry, it's going to mean slowdowns for international arrival passengers. As has been happening already in parts, even the requirement to show a Covid-19 test on arrival can slow down the ability of an (admissible) international arrival passenger to get landside.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 3, 2021 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
deleted - realised my post is going off-topic!
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:39 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

You misunderstood : vaccinations is not an experiment.
Going off recommendations and off study limitation by deciding to give one jab only is.
NickB and GUWonder like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
This was what I was posting above, but decided to delete since it was off topic. However, I feel I have to as there is clearly some misunderstanding here.

The AZ was formally approved in the UK on the basis of a second dose anywhere from 4-12 weeks. There is nothing controversial in giving a second dose at 12 weeks rather than 4 to maximise numbers having at least one dose.

The Pfizer vaccine was approved on the basis of a second does at least 21 days later, but there is no maximum limit in the approval.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation is therefore recommending the dosing regime for both be changed to 12 weeks between first and second dose. No one is seriously suggesting one dose only.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
You read French, correct?
Here is the state of things in France:

They are going to randomly select 35 people with zero qualifications (Jean Paul the plumber, Marianne the marketing director, Etienne the unemployed) and let them work for 6 months to provide expectations and recommendations from the French people. For a major health crisis where delays of days count ?

And in the UK they are figuring out if doing a massive experiment on their population is a good idea.
All the people I talk to are saying that right now, the travel idea and international recognition is not even on anybody radar.

It is a sad state of affairs if we can’t, collectively, show a tidbit of forward planning and multi-tasking.
cruisr and the810 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And to add, yes I know it's the DM but the scientist they quote, well for the UK it doesn't get much better than him. Call it what you like, the approach is a considered one by the top scientists whom everyone, ad nauseum, on FT and beyond has been saying we should follow, ie. follow the science. You can't have it both ways.

The scientist leading the UK coronavirus vaccination programme has defended the decision to extend the gap between the two doses, insisting it is 'the way we save lives'.
LETTERBOY and paulaf like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And to add, yes I know it's the DM but the scientist they quote, well for the UK it doesn't get much better than him. Call it what you like, the approach is a considered one by the top scientists whom everyone, ad nauseum, on FT and beyond has been saying we should follow, ie. follow the science. You can't have it both ways.

The scientist leading the UK coronavirus vaccination programme has defended the decision to extend the gap between the two doses, insisting it is 'the way we save lives'.
Ah, is that how science works now? Forget following established protocols in clinical trials, forget double-blind studies, forget peer reviews of research papers. All we need now is the opinion of one "well-respected scientist" for it to constitute "following the science"?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:59 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, once again a mod request not to go off-topic has been completely ignored almost immediately. Thread locked yet again.

/mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.