Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU/UK to US via Mexico [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

A friend with UK/NZ passports is based in Mexico and wondering if he can enter US (from CUN) by air. The internet seems to say entry by air with ESTA is Ok, but i’m not sure, any data points?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:33 am

I think this post might help:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32504205-post456.html
Old Aug 20, 2020, 3:26 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If they have an NZ passport then why not just use that to avoid any confusion about the ban applying to people who have been in the UK rather than UK passport holders
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
perfect, this person lives in Mexico and has been there for months, thx!
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:29 am

Also interested in any and all routes a UK passport holder can enter the US from Europe on an ESTA? Is flying via the UAE and direct into the US an option (Sep. ticket)? What about Bulgaria / Romania, albeit I don’t think they have direct flights! Have a recent negative test result and it’s a bit of an emergency to get over, however appreciate it’s maybe no easy feat.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: *G SN/LH, TK; EK Skywards G
why bother with ESTA since the entry is by land? ESTA is only for those WWP who arrives to US on boat or flight.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 1:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sam737
why bother with ESTA since the entry is by land? ESTA is only for those WWP who arrives to US on boat or flight.
I think the US-Mexico land border is closed. This is about UK citizens entering by air from Mexico.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
ESTA does not dictates which port of entry a traveler uses. So your friend is good to go.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. The US-Mexico border is not closed.
2. Entry to the US is based on where one has been for the 14 days immediately preceding entry, not citizenship. Thus, a UK/NZ citizen who has not been in the UK (or any other of a host of countries) for the past 14 days, is not excluded by virtue of her citizenship in either or both.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Asking for advice EU-MEX-US-EU trip – EU Citizens

My Dad and my Stepmom have an idea about sneaking to USA to meet their friends and relatives during Christmas time. All moral and etethical questions aside – can they want to do it as per plan below:

Dec 8 Departure from EU using the direct flights to MX

Bru(lux) – AMS(CDG) – CUN (MEX)

Chill out 15ish days there,

Then have a flight MEX (cun) – SEA

Chill out in US for some time and going back by something like

SEA – ATL – DUS (cdg)- BRU (lux)

P.S. Dad has visa waiver, stepmom has B1/B2 Visa valid for 5~ish more yrs.

Seems legit to me – but do you think this plan has a right to live? Any caveats?
Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
That is currently permitted. Has nothing to do with sneaking in.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by Often1
1. The US-Mexico border is not closed.
2. Entry to the US is based on where one has been for the 14 days immediately preceding entry, not citizenship. Thus, a UK/NZ citizen who has not been in the UK (or any other of a host of countries) for the past 14 days, is not excluded by virtue of her citizenship in either or both.
Correct on #2, but #1 is unintentionally misleading. The US-Mexico border *is* closed for the majority of purposes. As no "border" exists by flying, with it being no different than say describing the US/UK border. A correct term to use, which describes the situation, is that the US-Mexico land border is closed for the majority of purposes, but flying remains 'open'. If OP is entering under the provisions of the Visa Waiver Program, it's safe to say they are entering in for short-term business or tourism. If business, you could make a case for the land border.

However, if business, the OP could contact the US Embassy/Consulate near them and request a National Interest Exception, so they can fly directly. They're giving them out quite easily these days (for business travel), as I think the general consensus is that it'll be lifted soon anyway.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
The US-Mexico border *is* closed for the majority of purposes. As no "border" exists by flying, with it being no different than say describing the US/UK border. A correct term to use, which describes the situation, is that the US-Mexico land border is closed for the majority of purposes, but flying remains 'open'.
The border is of course not closed, and I would say that it could encourage confusion to use such phrasing. The border is open, and certain types of travel across the border are not permitted, as is always the case; there are always certain types of travel that are forbidden across open borders.

Also, at the moment, there is a longer list of forbidden types of travel across the open border, because of the virus. The fact that virus-related travel restrictions have been added to the pre-existing list of restrictions does not close the border, though I'm sure it could feel that way to some people.

Fortunately, this is a great route for visitors from Europe, and two friends have used this approach over the past few months. I made it down to Mexico recently also. Certainly recomend it for those who have time to spare
Old Jan 3, 2021, 12:48 am

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
They are back. Everything went super smooth.

They did change the ticket which was originally trough AMS as they were unable to do the test on time to the XXX-SLC-ATL-FRA-XXX one and arrived 1 day later than the initial plan.

So, they are super happy about it and sending you guys their regards 😊
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Looking to do this later this month. LHR-MEX-SFO-LHR. However, my ESTA expired last year and I didn't renew it as was just about to renew it. This is now done. Should I apply for the ESTA while still in London, or wait until I'm in Mexico? Are they even issuing them in London?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.