Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Advice Request - Not sure how to proceed (TravelUp Booking)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Request - Not sure how to proceed (TravelUp Booking)...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Advice Request - Not sure how to proceed (TravelUp Booking)...

I contacted TravelUp two months ago to cancel my flights for the Olympics in Japan. Chased a month ago, chased again last week. I’ve heard literally nothing, not even a confirmation that they’ve received my request. I checked with Lufthansa who said that TravelUp had started the refund process, so I know they got my request… but still, I have no idea where things stand. None of their phone numbers are active, so I can’t even try to wait all day to get through. Their site seems to have stopped being updated, so I can't even use the automated process as the date selector only allows for flights up until the 15th of July.

Really not sure what to do at this point. The flights were two leg, and the Germany to Japan parts were cancelled (Edit for clarity, the actual flight cancelled, I have no idea on my ticket status)… so I’m assuming I could go with travel insurance to claim? Or should I be claiming via my credit card? I think probably two months with zero response from them is beyond the point of being reasonably patient.

Any advice from the experienced travellers here would be appreciated! I risk losing a huge (to me) amount of money so this has been playing on my mind quite a bit.

Last edited by RG1X; Aug 3, 2020 at 5:17 am
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:03 pm

If you paid with a CC, initiate a chargeback / dispute on the grounds that the flight (Germany - Japan leg) was cancelled.
RG1X and garykung like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your OP says first that you cancelled and then later that LH had cancelled. Which is it? If the former, you are stuck with TravelUp's policy. If it is indeed LH that cancelled, simply initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer. Make certain that you do it in writing and that you include:
1. Copy of EC 261/2004, Section 8 (rebooking rights)
2. Copy of e-ticket receipt.
3. Copy of cancellation notice.
4. Copy of your request for a refund.
5. Response (if any) - I gather it is none.

The shoe is then on the other foot. If TravelUp does not respond, you win. If it does, I am not sure what it has to say if indeed LH was correct regarding what it told you.
RG1X likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:16 am
Original Poster

I asked TravelUp to cancel / refund, but I have no contact with them so I have zero idea what's happening with it. Lufthansa (fairly) told me to deal with them but indicated that the refund process appeared to have been started.

When I said about LH cancelling, I mean the flight. The one of the 28th July (outbound) didn't fly, and the inbound is currently showing cancelled status.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
When a travel agent does not respond, chargeback is the only method (The money does not come from the airlines usually, but the travel agent).
RG1X likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:36 am
Original Poster

I think I'll wait to get the cancellation certificate on the second flight (should be appearing Friday) and then I'll follow Often1 's suggestions.

First and last time I use a travel agent for my flight bookings.
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by RG1X
I asked TravelUp to cancel / refund, but I have no contact with them so I have zero idea what's happening with it. Lufthansa (fairly) told me to deal with them but indicated that the refund process appeared to have been started.

When I said about LH cancelling, I mean the flight. The one of the 28th July (outbound) didn't fly, and the inbound is currently showing cancelled status.
You should also try to get more information from Lufthansa, e.g when was the refund process started? has it been completed? how long does the refund process take? can they give you an estimated time frame?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.