Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya travel for US Citizens

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Kenya travel for US Citizens

Wife and I have had our 10 year anniversary trip to Kenya in Oct, booked for quite a while. The Kenyan government just released an update on Fri 7/31 that they are opening up even to US citizens without quarantine, BUT:

"Please note that U.S. citizen travelers coming from California, Florida and Texas will not be exempt and will be required to quarantine upon arrival either at Government of Kenya-designated facility or at their Kenyan residence." https://ke.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

We are residents of Texas, but trying to figure out a way around this considering it says "coming from" as opposed to "residents of". That is very vague and we're trying to get clarification. If I go to another state for a couple days, am I still "coming from" Texas? Not sure where we would figure out the specifics of these rules. TY!

Last edited by glocklt4; Aug 2, 2020 at 6:31 pm
Old Aug 2, 2020, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sorry for being heartless. But are you serious planning this anniversary to be the last?

Stay safe and well is more important that any anniversary celebration.

If you believe TX is not safe, you are welcome to go somewhere safe, but definitely not somewhere like Kenya for a trip.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Sorry for being heartless. But are you serious planning this anniversary to be the last?

Stay safe and well is more important that any anniversary celebration.

If you believe TX is not safe, you are welcome to go somewhere safe, but definitely not somewhere like Kenya for a trip.
Ha! To each their own... if you feel it's not safe to travel to Kenya, then stay at home. We are not asking for advice on safety/risk, only for assistance understanding and trying to find additional information on their entrance rules. BTW, solo driving a vehicle on our own for 2 weeks in the bush doing game drives is laughably less risky than even going to the grocery store here in DFW.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Ha! To each their own... if you feel it's not safe to travel to Kenya, then stay at home. We are not asking for advice on safety/risk, only for assistance understanding and trying to find additional information on their entrance rules. BTW, solo driving a vehicle on our own for 2 weeks in the bush doing game drives is laughably less risky than even going to the grocery store here in DFW.
It isn’t a matter of the risk to you. It is about the risk YOU pose to their citizens. It is about respecting the rules of the country who is allowing you to come in as a visitor. About respecting the citizens of Kenya. They have singled out Texas for a reason, a very good reason. It is their country and their rules. For you to try to get around their rules and scam your way in to a country that does not want you shows a complete lack of respect for Kenyans. This is exactly the reason why Americans are so unwelcome most places in the world. For God’s sake, have some respect for the fact that they do not want you there and don’t try to circumvent their rules. It isn’t all about you, you know. Unbelievable.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
It isn’t a matter of the risk to you. It is about the risk YOU pose to their citizens. It is about respecting the rules of the country who is allowing you to come in as a visitor. About respecting the citizens of Kenya. They have singled out Texas for a reason, a very good reason. It is their country and their rules. For you to try to get around their rules and scam your way in to a country that does not want you shows a complete lack of respect for Kenyans. This is exactly the reason why Americans are so unwelcome most places in the world. For God’s sake, have some respect for the fact that they do not want you there and don’t try to circumvent their rules. It isn’t all about you, you know. Unbelievable.
It's unbelievable that you assume you know the extent to which everyone on the internet it taking this disease seriously. With the precautions we take plus 2 week quarantine at home prior to travel and multiple negative PCR & rapid tests, it would be nearly impossible for us to transmit the disease. Oh, but someone from Oklahoma who doesn't wear a mask or socially distance because they love Trump and go to his rallies, yes send them right in. You know your situation, I know mine. If you'd like to judge based on assumptions, I suggest going elsewhere as this post was to get information.

Again, I'm trying to find clarification as this certainly affects many people "from" TX/CA/FL that had plans to visit Kenya. The wording is vague and there needs to be a time frame included associated with time since last in TX/CA/FL. Other countries are listing this properly, Kenya is not. Our trip isn't for 2mo, so all of this could change by then anyway.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by glocklt4; Aug 2, 2020 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
You may be coming from a country with a first world health care system but......

You are contemplating going to a country with one that is less than that.

While you may consider yourself and spouse as unlikely to be Covid carriers, the fact is that you will not know and you could be spreading disease into a country that cannot practically handle an epidemic.

Since they cannot test everyone who enters their country, they have chosen the alternative of trying to isolate those who are entering from hot spots.

Try and honor their highly limited attempt at curbing disease spread in their country.
Annalisa12 and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It's unbelievable that you assume you know the extent to which everyone on the internet it taking this disease seriously. With the precautions we take plus 2 week quarantine at home prior to travel and multiple negative PCR & rapid tests, it would be nearly impossible for us to transmit the disease. Oh, but someone from Oklahoma who doesn't wear a mask or socially distance because they love Trump and go to his rallies, yes send them right in. You know your situation, I know mine. If you'd like to judge based on assumptions, I suggest going elsewhere as this post was to get information.

Again, I'm trying to find clarification as this certainly affects many people "from" TX/CA/FL that had plans to visit Kenya. The wording is vague and there needs to be a time frame included associated with time since last in TX/CA/FL. Other countries are listing this properly, Kenya is not. Our trip isn't for 2mo, so all of this could change by then anyway.
Absolutely nothing you have posted has anything to do with this. Kenya said no one from Texas. They could have said no one with blond hair. Their country, their rules whether you agree with them or not. Yes, I will judge as you are looking for a way to get around their rules. FT should be better than this. This is exactly the mentality I was talking about. Kenya made a rule. It is THEIR country. It makes no difference if you have been sealed in a plastic bubble for a year, you are looking for a way to violate their entry rules. It isn’t about you, don’t you get that? It is their country, their rules. Respect them or don’t go, it is that simple. It is arrogant and reprehensible to look for a way to get around it. Stop trying to justify what you are trying to do, which is to sneak in by pretending you are not from Texas. As I said, it is no wonder Americans are banned pretty much everywhere. Read the stories about Americans sneaking into Canada by boat or falsely claiming they are driving to Alaska. Absolutely disgusting and what you are trying to do is no different.

....We are residents of Texas, but trying to figure out a way around this considering it says "coming from" as opposed to "residents of". That is very vague and we're trying to get clarification. If I go to another state for a couple days, am I still "coming from" Texas? Not sure where we would figure out the specifics of these rules. TY!

Last edited by Finkface; Aug 2, 2020 at 8:42 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Absolutely nothing you have posted has anything to do with this. Kenya said no one from Texas. They could have said no one with blond hair. Their country, their rules whether you agree with them or not. Yes, I will judge as you are looking for a way to get around their rules. FT should be better than this. This is exactly the mentality I was talking about. Kenya made a rule. It is THEIR country. It makes no difference if you have been sealed in a plastic bubble for a year, you are looking for a way to violate their entry rules. It isn’t about you, don’t you get that? It is their country, their rules. Respect them or don’t go, it is that simple. It is arrogant and reprehensible to look for a way to get around it. Stop trying to justify what you are trying to do, which is to sneak in by pretending you are not from Texas. As I said, it is no wonder Americans are banned pretty much everywhere. Read the stories about Americans sneaking into Canada by boat or falsely claiming they are driving to Alaska. Absolutely disgusting and what you are trying to do is no different.
So your interpretation is that their rule is based on your state of residence?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by radonc1
You may be coming from a country with a first world health care system but......

You are contemplating going to a country with one that is less than that.

While you may consider yourself and spouse as unlikely to be Covid carriers, the fact is that you will not know and you could be spreading disease into a country that cannot practically handle an epidemic.

Since they cannot test everyone who enters their country, they have chosen the alternative of trying to isolate those who are entering from hot spots.

Try and honor their highly limited attempt at curbing disease spread in their country.
We do recognize that Kenya does not have the same level of medical care as the US. The same can be said about most of the world, but why are they choosing to open up to tourism then?

BTW, a negative PCR test IS REQUIRED to enter Kenya. Some countries are going as far as require re-testing even after entry. Here are the full requirements:
  • The passenger does not have a body temperature above 37.5°C (99.5°F);
  • The passenger does not have a persistent cough, difficulty breathing or other flu-like symptoms;
  • The passenger has a negative PCR-based COVID-19 test conducted within 96 hours before travel.
Please note that U.S. citizen travelers coming from California, Florida and Texas will not be exempt and will be required to quarantine upon arrival either at Government of Kenya-designated facility or at their Kenyan residence.

https://ke.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Forget about this.

Although I have some many things I want to say about how wrong OP's interpretation in many things, it is not worth the time to argue someone who has made up the mind.

Let that be.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

I have reached out the embassy for clarification and will post details once received.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
I believe that while you’d like to have us believe you’re puzzled by the wording, you know perfectly well you aren’t exempt from quarantine. But carry on.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Another example from the 'I am entitled' brigade, thinking the rules don't apply to them.

When will people ever learn.
Annalisa12, Sjoerd, DYKWIA and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
I believe the OP was and is trying to respect the rules of Kenya. I didn't scan the entire thread, but I didn't see any mention of the OP wanting to lie or falsify any information. They are simply asking the question "if we go to another location outside of TX, does this rule still apply?" This seems completely reasonable to me and worthy of an answer, not ridicule. This is not disrespecting Kenyans, who have made the decision to open up their borders to the international community. Perhaps they are realizing that the worst-case COVID scenarios are not as damaging to them as the desctruction of their tourism economy. I also disagree that American's are unwelcome most places in the world; on the contrary we are one of the most welcomed nationalities on the planet.

@glocklt4
I will be curious to see your update from the U.S. embassy. I'm an American legally domiciled in CA, but I've been in Instanbul with my fiance the last few weeks as she is not a U.S. citizen and her tourist visa in the U.S. was about to expire. Turkey was one of the few countries we could both enter legally without quarentine. Unfortunately I will only be allowed to stay here for another 2 months (unless I apply for a residency visa); so we are considering where our next "stop" may be. Good luck to you, and I hope you are able to go on your trip.
Silver Fox, glocklt4 and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by Voldoo; Aug 3, 2020 at 3:47 am
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

We are residents of Texas, but trying to figure out a way around this
Originally Posted by Voldoo
I believe the OP was and is trying to respect the rules of Kenya
I'd say the OP was doing the exact opposite...
Finkface likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.