Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Nationality vs. Country of Residence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

If one is a Canadian citizen residing in the USA, is he/she subject to the ban on US travelers, or can he/she use his/her Canadian passport to travel to Europe, etc. despite residing in the US? thanks
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
If one is a Canadian citizen residing in the USA, is he/she subject to the ban on US travelers, or can he/she use his/her Canadian passport to travel to Europe, etc. despite residing in the US? thanks
Generally, it seems to work in practice that the Canadian passport is generally accepted by Schengen passport control as being evidence of entitlement to be admitted as coming from a country to which the Schengen area has opened — in this case, Canada — regardless of the indications in the passport.

They tend to process the person based on the documents that are prominently presented to them. Whether they should or not.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Generally, it seems to work in practice that the Canadian passport is generally accepted by Schengen passport control as being evidence of entitlement to be admitted as coming from a country to which the Schengen area has opened — in this case, Canada — regardless of the indications in the passport.

They tend to process the person based on the documents that are prominently presented to them. Whether they should or not.
i'mg guessing you don't have a huge sample size for this? But you think it's a safe bet?! thanks!!
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:40 pm

You'll likely be fine, but can be safer if you first take a flight from US to Canada, maybe spend an overnight there, and then on a separate ticket go to Europe as if you're just starting your trip in Canada as a regular Canadian.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
i'mg guessing you don't have a huge sample size for this? But you think it's a safe bet?! thanks!!
More NZers than Canadians; but given what Danish, Swedish and German passport control personnel have been saying, it seems they default to the travel documents prominently presented rather than conducting an in-depth examination to make sure country of presented citizenship/residency documents is the primary country of residence.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
You'll likely be fine, but can be safer if you first take a flight from US to Canada, maybe spend an overnight there, and then on a separate ticket go to Europe as if you're just starting your trip in Canada as a regular Canadian.
Canada has a 14 day quarantine for arrivals.
I'm not sure what the rules for same day transit are.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I can't speak for all European countries, but in Switzerland, as of today there is a mandatory 10 day quarantine-on-arrival for anyone who has been to the US (or 28 other countries, Canada not included) in the last 14 days. Citizenship is irrelevant - it applies to Swiss citizens, too. US citizens without residence rights in the Schengen area are refused entry outright.

I would imagine other countries to apply similar rules. But you better check specifically for where you plan on going.
GUWonder, Often1 and narvik like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by airoli
I can't speak for all European countries, but in Switzerland, as of today there is a mandatory 10 day quarantine-on-arrival for anyone who has been to the US (or 28 other countries, Canada not included) in the last 14 days. Citizenship is irrelevant - it applies to Swiss citizens, too. US citizens without residence rights in the Schengen area are refused entry outright.

I would imagine other countries to apply similar rules. But you better check specifically for where you plan on going.
How is Switzerland applying that rule?

Having a rule may not be the same thing as applying a rule; and having similar rule is not the same thing as applying rules in a similar way.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is worth checking the rules for the specific destination (and transit countries, if any) as both the rules and definitions differ vastly. Once past the admission issue, the question of quarantine arises. Just as with admission, the definition of quarantine differs from country-to-country.

You can then get a general understanding of what may happen, understanding that what worked for someone else may not work for you or what works today may not work tomorrow.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
It is worth checking the rules for the specific destination (and transit countries, if any) as both the rules and definitions differ vastly. Once past the admission issue, the question of quarantine arises. Just as with admission, the definition of quarantine differs from country-to-country.

You can then get a general understanding of what may happen, understanding that what worked for someone else may not work for you or what works today may not work tomorrow.
Agreed.
Some countries (portugal,for example), list nationality independent of country of residence. (residents are also allowed)
Others (netherlands), speak only to residency.
I haven't checked for a week or two though, double check.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Having a rule may not be the same thing as applying a rule; and having similar rule is not the same thing as applying rules in a similar way.
Haha, I’m such a chicken when it comes to practice vs policy. I can’t even bring myself to go to the airport!

“If you’re wondering what the official advice is on travel right now, it’s "don’t travel." And yet people are traveling, in the Bay Area and beyond. Hotels are being reserved. Airbnbs are being booked. Airports are ramping up once more.”

Summer Travel During COVID-19 in California: Can I Do it Safely?
https://www.kqed.org/news/11829403/s...i-do-it-safely
Old Jul 23, 2020, 9:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by tracon
Canada has a 14 day quarantine for arrivals.
I'm not sure what the rules for same day transit are.
I think you can do a same day transit through Canada at YYZ T1 as it has a sterile area but not T3
Old Jul 23, 2020, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
How is Switzerland applying that rule?
Airlines, bus operators etc. are required to submit passenger lists of direct flights from 29 high-risk countries to authorities. In addition, all airline passengers flying to Switzerland from anywhere have to fill in a form declaring their recent travel history and contact details.
At airports in Switzerland, further information about quarantine requirements are are handed out.

People affected by quarantine requirements are required to register with health authorities in their canton of residence upon arrival, and then respect a ten day self-quarantine.

It's largely a honor system, but authorities are stepping up their spot checks following reports of non-registration and non-compliance. Offenders are fined.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by airoli
Airlines, bus operators etc. are required to submit passenger lists of direct flights from 29 high-risk countries to authorities. In addition, all airline passengers flying to Switzerland from anywhere have to fill in a form declaring their recent travel history and contact details.
At airports in Switzerland, further information about quarantine requirements are are handed out.

People affected by quarantine requirements are required to register with health authorities in their canton of residence upon arrival, and then respect a ten day self-quarantine.

It's largely a honor system, but authorities are stepping up their spot checks following reports of non-registration and non-compliance. Offenders are fined.
So other than using the passenger’s prominently presented travel docs and being able to use API (Advance Passenger Info) from the airline passenger’s PNR for the flight into Switzerland, it sounds like it’s largely an honor system for the passenger who makes it to Swiss passport control. That is when it comes to a passenger who has a separate issuing country for their presented passport than for their residency permit/visa/card/letter that they may have somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.