Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Canadian citizen traveling YUL-OSL, which airport for transit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus

I am a Norwegian citizen married to a Canadian citizen. Norway is now allowing all foreign spouses to enter Norway, but I have read that some transit points in Europe may cause problems for non-EEA citizens who are entering under this kind of exception to a general ban on entry. I have heard of spouses of Danish citizens in transit to CPH being turned away from entering Schengen at Schiphol, for example.

My spouse's most likely transit points to OSL would be AMS or CDG. Does anyone have any insight/experiences into how the Dutch or French border agents would handle this situation? Another option is Frankfurt, if that would be better. My spouse would travel with our marriage certificate and a written declaration from me.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:41 pm
Suspended

LHR would be fine too
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Could you consider London Heathrow ( LHR) with no border controls for transit pax ( only a security check)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Readingdemon
I am a Norwegian citizen married to a Canadian citizen. Norway is now allowing all foreign spouses to enter Norway, but I have read that some transit points in Europe may cause problems for non-EEA citizens who are entering under this kind of exception to a general ban on entry. I have heard of spouses of Danish citizens in transit to CPH being turned away from entering Schengen at Schiphol, for example.

My spouse's most likely transit points to OSL would be AMS or CDG. Does anyone have any insight/experiences into how the Dutch or French border agents would handle this situation? Another option is Frankfurt, if that would be better. My spouse would travel with our marriage certificate and a written declaration from me.
I am assuming your spouse’s normal residence is in Canada.

AMS is fine: Canadian residents may enter the Netherlands for any reason and as long as Norway allows spouses of nationals in and (s)he carries the documents you mention (plus perhaps a copy of your passport) transit is fine too.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Readingdemon
That was the case prior to June 15., after which time Danes living abroad were allowed to take their immediate family to Denmark on holiday or to visit grandparents, siblings and friends being a so-called worthy purpose in itself.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/ny...-boern-med-ind

KLM has since then become quite popular among such Danes and families.

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Canadian citizens are allowed to and through CDG. AF has a daily flight from YUL (I believe they will even increase very soon to something like 11 or 12 weekly) and they have announced they will relaunch YYZ soon.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Canadian citizens are allowed to and through CDG. AF has a daily flight from YUL (I believe they will even increase very soon to something like 11 or 12 weekly) and they have announced they will relaunch YYZ soon.
They canceled my YYZ-CDG in Aug, Sep, and Oct.

It seems like they will only keep AF351 3 to 4 flights per week and completely remove the AF393 (the second flight to YYZ).

But YUL got the 787 now and it is a big upgrade from the old 773...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.