Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

"Essential" travel to Germany from U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, SIA, Delta, Emirates, BA, Continental, etc.

The German government has stated that U.S. citizens who are performing essential services, such as in healthcare, may enter. Can someone share their real-life experience in getting in?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by wildyorkie
The German government has stated that U.S. citizens who are performing essential services, such as in healthcare, may enter. Can someone share their real-life experience in getting in?
There was a poster who flew recently from LAX-IAD-FRA for critical medical care. In Germany many hospitals and clinics have a travel department which makes arrangements, facilities visa, etc and he was able to enter without issue based on the documentation he received.

I suppose it would depend on the specific need for entry in this case, but medical treatment in this case is considered a valid reason for entry.
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you asking for yourself? It would help to know what your ‘essential’ is.
orbitmic and u01sss3 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:31 am
Original Poster

I am asking on behalf of my colleague, a scientist who has been asked by a university hospital to come to Germany to advise a clinician on patient treatment. My assumption is that a copy of a letter from the hospital asking for her assistance would be all that is necessary.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I am asking on behalf of my colleague, a scientist who has been asked by a university hospital to come to Germany to advise a clinician on patient treatment. My assumption is that a copy of a letter from the hospital asking for her assistance would be all that is necessary.
Have (or have your friend have) a look at the thread mentioned above. In short, your friend's reasons will be checked both by the airline before departure (as they worry about him/her being denied entry) and immigration on arrival. The hospital would indeed take care of the paperwork and if they are well organised, they should know what will be needed there. In effect, the more specific their paperwork the better. It would be advisable to go to the airport quite a bit earlier than usual in case the airline feel a need to check in advance with German (or relevant Schengen country if the trip is via somewhere else) immigration authorities if they are not sure about eligibility.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:21 am
Original Poster

orbitmic, your point is well-taken. What I am seeking is someone's first-hand experience actually doing this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
orbitmic, your point is well-taken. What I am seeking is someone's first-hand experience actually doing this.
You may get a faster response posting in one of the airline specific forums such as LH.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A letter from the hospital is probably a necessary but not sufficient piece of paperwork. The hospital should be capable of securing what is necessary, but also get in touch with the Bundespolizei at FRA. Number easily available on Google. They are best to advise.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
All documents could still cause a denied boarding situation. At the end the gate agent in the US decides whether the passenger may board or not.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 12:13 pm

I work for a federal contractor, and my colleagues were able to fly into FRA for a work trip without any hassle. They presented a letter from the client (a department of the federal government) at customs and they were good to go.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

This is a translation of what the Bundespolizei states at:

https://www.bundespolizei.de/Web/DE/...324?nn=5931604

"3. Does the federal police issue certificates for valid or compelling reasons?The reasons for entry must be asserted upon entry by means of appropriate evidence at the border control. Each issue is considered individually and depends on the individual case. The final decision on entry is at the discretion of the local officials. A certificate in advance cannot be issued."
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this strongly suggests that OP advise his friend to have the university hospital requesting his consultation to do the diligence and then generate the paperwork.

Indeed, there are variables, both at boarding and on arrival in Germany. But, that has always been the case. I presume that an institution sufficiently preeminent to cause a transatlantic in-person consultation under these circumstances, will be able to get all of this done and assure that German authorities further advise LH or whatever carrier is chosen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.