Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is safer, hotel or Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Travelinangel
All of them have had robust cleaning procedures, masks required, and plexiglass screens at the front desk. Each room is sealed with a sticker after cleaning so you know no one has entered since then.
Nice.
Unfortunately not my experience with some Marriott branded hotels; yes, the hotel has implemented correct policy, but the rooms weren't particularly clean, and the problem isn't with the hotel staff itself, but other guests.
In the elevator.........stops at floor 3......people without masks enter.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by narvik
Nice.
Unfortunately not my experience with some Marriott branded hotels; yes, the hotel has implemented correct policy, but the rooms weren't particularly clean, and the problem isn't with the hotel staff itself, but other guests.
A couple of weeks ago I checked out some Nordic Choice hotels’ rules about the breakfast service and it seemed like the hotel guests either ignored or didn’t notice the hotel-posted rules while hotel staff stuck to the rules they were given.

At Airbnb accommodations, there is less traffic. My take is that going for the place with less traffic during any rolling 3-week period and with more windows to open is going to the safer place. Many hotel guest rooms have windows that don’t open, and that seems to be less of an issue with AirBnb accommodations; either way, something to look into before booking.
narvik and economyplusfan like this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:33 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
BTW someone mentioned that Airbnb bookings had rebounded somewhat since the initial plunge.

This was on CNBC and it was in the context of them going for IPO some time soon so that may be propaganda to boost the IPO prospects.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Nice.
This is pretty scary, and nowadays you have to be a bit of a jerk. “Sorry, could you put on your mask or take the next lift please?” Or get off if they refuse.

A little coughing while masked helps too. The most devout anti-masker usually changes their mind if they think *you’re* sick.
downinit likes this.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Dec 3, 2020 at 7:43 pm
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
This is pretty scary, and nowadays you have to be a bit of a jerk. “Sorry, could you put on your mask or take the next lift please?” Or get off if they refuse.

A little coughing while masked helps too.
I have become the a*hole who does this. Depositing money at the bank last night and two people came into the atrium without masks. I told them to put their masks on and leave. That's the problem, corporations can have all the policies they want, but its' a question of whether they will (or can) enforce them.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
“Sorry, could you put on your mask or take the next lift please?” Or get off if they refuse.
Regrettably, by the time that exchange would take place, the lift doors would have already closed and the lift would be moving.
The ONLY suggestion I'd have if this is a concern, is to immediately leave the elevator, if someone without mask enters.
I was too slow to react when it happened to me the first time.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
If the person indeed is infectious, enganging in a conversation will significantly increase the risk as it will increase the amount of emited droplets by several times compared to just standing there silently, which poses close to no risk if it only takes a minute or two.

But then again, even the chance of that specific person being infected is less than 0,05%.

I once had a person enter our elevator and give us angry looks for not having masks (they were not required at the hotel, neither by state or hotel policies, although they were kind of a social norm for many people). I pointed out that the elevator is limited to two people at a time and asked him to get off (although frankly I didn't care too much).

Last edited by the810; Dec 4, 2020 at 4:42 am
Old Dec 4, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Hotels really, really need to start actually enforcing the mask policies. They keep emailing me about heightened cleaning protocols, but I will not stay in a hotel unless they can convince me that their employees PROPERLY wear masks and enforce guests wearing them. Full stop. Wiping down surfaces is the equivalent of TSA security theather.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by the810
If the person indeed is infectious, enganging in a conversation will significantly increase the risk as it will increase the amount of emited droplets by several times compared to just standing there silently, which poses close to no risk if it only takes a minute or two.
But then again, even the chance of that specific person being infected is less than 0,05%.
Indeed chatty people are substantial covid hazards in closed air spaces, with or without masks. In some areas now infections rates exceed 10% (e.g. US-upper Midwest).
Old Dec 4, 2020, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Indeed chatty people are substantial covid hazards in closed air spaces, with or without masks. In some areas now infections rates exceed 10% (e.g. US-upper Midwest).
15% here in Chicago and the employees in my building can't be bothered to wear masks.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Plat
Nice.
My experience as well. To avoid these encounters I ended up hauling my bags up and down the stair wells. Cleaning staff were not wearing masks either. Of course this was Iowa, which the Atlantic points out is a case study in what happens when no precautions are taken.

Originally Posted by MaxVO
This can not be assumed for all strains of covid. The first wave of covid in Singapore was reported to have started by a visitor from Wuhan, who attended a church service. They got cameras everywhere and managed to trace Patient 1. No one got sick who was in the same church service with Patient 1. But the 1st locally infected person sat in the same chair & church 2 days later.
This is not consistent with the CDC’s version of events. http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6914e1.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 5, 2020 at 4:29 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
IMO - an Airbnb Entire Home listing that is run by a Superhost following the Covid-19 Cleaning Protocols that require a 24 hour break between reservations. And I'm talking a real host, not a giant group with a hired staff to manage the listing, a host running their own Airbnb and doing their own cleaning.

Last edited by bitcohen; Dec 8, 2020 at 11:37 am
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by bitcohen
... I'm talking a real host, not a giant group with a hired staff to manage the listing, a host running their own Airbnb and doing their own cleaning.
How can you tell the difference from the listing? They all usually come with a face, and respond quickly.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 12:22 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I doubt Airbnb hosts are doing their own cleaning.

They just hire out services probably.

Apparently Airbnb has kept up bookings and revenues enough during the pandemic to be doing well and poised for a huge IPO.

So maybe people are voting with their wallets and choosing Airbnbs in general over hotels.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by exp
I doubt Airbnb hosts are doing their own cleaning.
They just hire out services probably.
Apparently Airbnb has kept up bookings and revenues enough during the pandemic to be doing well and poised for a huge IPO.
So maybe people are voting with their wallets and choosing Airbnbs in general over hotels.
Lots of AirBnB use exactly the same foul smelling masking scent. I can't sleep in those homes unless i put a towel or my own clothing article over the pillow. It's possible that AirBnB has one giant single cleaning sub with the same cleaning protocol.
I've also stayed with hosts that did their own laundry (Split CR, rural Quebec) -- neither was very clean, but at least there was no foul masking scent.

And on the IPO issue, the company is still losing money, but less so in Q3-2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.