Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

How do I get to Guangzhou [from London] !?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Centurion, Virgin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

I need to get from London to Guangzhou in the next 2 weeks. It looks like China Southern is no longer flying from LHR, and my understanding is the indirect flight via Istanbul would not be suitable as you can only transit if you are a Turkish national. I would appreciate any guidance on this? Many thanks.

Edit: If not Guangzhou then at least somewhere in China and I can make my way internally.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful about the required quarantine upon entering China (near the first international airport, except flights to Beijing divert for testing/quarantine now).

IIRC SIN is or will soon permit transit. If you can fly LHR-SIN-CAN that should work. There are even airside transit hotels in SIN (where the terminals are connected airside, with only T1 and T3 currently being used) if you have a long connection and airside transit desks should be able to issue boarding passes and even recheck bags without the passenger needing to clear immigration (which would not be possible except for people from Singapore).
Old May 20, 2020, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt reply. My understanding is I will need to quarantine for 14 days when I reach China, whichever city I land in.

Please could you clarify what you mean here:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be careful about the required quarantine upon entering China (near the first international airport, except flights to Beijing divert for testing/quarantine now).
Regarding SIN - will I definitely not be required to quarantine in SIN? Sadly I cannot find a CAN-SIN direct after 2nd June anyway.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by controlz
Thanks for the prompt reply. My understanding is I will need to quarantine for 14 days when I reach China, whichever city I land in.

Regarding SIN - will I definitely not be required to quarantine in SIN? Sadly I cannot find a CAN-SIN direct after 2nd June anyway.
My understanding is that the new rules for SIN permit (airside) transit without quarantine, but I don't recall the starting date and of course flights are still limited to/from SIN.

Recently flights to Beijing have been diverting (landing) at other international airports in mainland China where everyone deplanes and is tested. After many hours, if the test is negative and other medical information (temperature, symptoms, travel history, etc.) is clear, the person (apparently very few) can continue on the plane to Beijing, but most are held for quarantine in some designated facility near the diversion airport. Someone on FT posted a (link to?) list of which flights were diverted to which airports for this step.
Old May 22, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to get from London to Guangzhou in the next 2 weeks. It looks like China Southern is no longer flying from LHR, and my understanding is the indirect flight via Istanbul would not be suitable as you can only transit if you are a Turkish national. I would appreciate any guidance on this? Many thanks.

Edit: If not Guangzhou then at least somewhere in China and I can make my way internally.
Are you a Chinese citizen? If not it’s gonna be pretty tough to get past the no foreigners allowed entry rules. If you’re Chinese then the best bet is to look for a flight from LHR into any big city on one of the chinese carriers. China Southern flies once a week LHR-CAN and MU and CA also fly once a week from LHR to PVG and PEK respectively. Tickets must be bought through the airline directly I think and they are hard to come by since so many students want to get home. You’d then be quarantined in your arrival city for 14 days then you’re free to roam.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Are you a Chinese citizen? If not it’s gonna be pretty tough to get past the no foreigners allowed entry rules. If you’re Chinese then the best bet is to look for a flight from LHR into any big city on one of the chinese carriers. China Southern flies once a week LHR-CAN and MU and CA also fly once a week from LHR to PVG and PEK respectively. Tickets must be bought through the airline directly I think and they are hard to come by since so many students want to get home. You’d then be quarantined in your arrival city for 14 days then you’re free to roam.
This is actually on behalf of a friend who is a Taiwanese citizen. Sadly the LHR-CAN flight seems to be full for months. They've changed that flight from a 787 to an A380 due to demand.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: Alaska

scoot is supposed to have SIN-CAN every Sunday. Not sure whether it is loaded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.