Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:52 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Am I allowed to transit through Europe (i.e. FRA or AMS) to get to a country I'm allowed in (MSQ in Belarus) as a U.S. citizen?
You should be able to transit in FRA, I suggest you check this thread.

Best connection airport for USA-to-Belarus travel in July 2020
Old Jul 4, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
You should be able to transit in FRA, I suggest you check this thread.

Best connection airport for USA-to-Belarus travel in July 2020
Thanks! I don't have clarity on whether I'm allowed to transit FRA en route to MSQ
Old Jul 4, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks! I don't have clarity on whether I'm allowed to transit FRA en route to MSQ
When I checked in at JFK for my first flight to AMS, they were only concerned about my right to enter the country of my final destination. So if you bring proof that you have the right to enter Belarus, you should be ok.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is it really anywhere close to tens of thousands daily at this point just from Finland? I would suspect it’s either in below the 5 figure range daily or at least well under 20k daily when it comes to touching on Swedish land.
That's why I put the "?" There's a lot of commuting traffic as usual (from FIN at least, not the other way round) on the land border + the snus ran out a long time ago this side, so also a lot of shopping traffic. I think few people in the south realized how the two countries had grown together on both sides of the Torneälven - after all there hasn't been a border for over 60 years until now.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jul 5, 2020 at 12:10 am
Old Jul 5, 2020, 1:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
That's why I put the "?" There's a lot of commuting traffic as usual (from FIN at least, not the other way round) on the land border + the snus ran out a long time ago this side, so also a lot of shopping traffic. I think few people in the south realized how the two countries had grown together on both sides of the Torneälven - after all there hasn't been a border for over 60 years until now.
I knew it had become its own little commuter/cross-border shopper/service-seeker world there, but I thought that the Finnish traffic numbers from there and south would be just in the single thousands per day figure even at this point (with the virus situation) if excluding people who are registered as residing in Sweden; and I would presume that those numbers would definitely not rise into the tens of thousands daily at this time due to the virus situation. Of course I could be surprised and end up very much wrong about the Finnish traffic figures at this time, but since school age Finns usually do better with math than Swedes, I would think that Sweden’s virus numbers resonate with the Finnish and sort of keep down the normal Finnish tourist traffic to Sweden.

Thanks! Is there a link to this exemption, as from my search, it seems that only if I am headed to my home country, I'm allowed to transit the EU, and as Belarus is not my home country, I shouldn't qualify for the exemption.
https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/tra...he-netherlands under “3”, but it’s listed under essential function or need, so there may be a bit of a persuasion needed at check-in/gate.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 5, 2020 at 1:51 am
Old Jul 5, 2020, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In today's paper they quote the Finnish border guards' local commander - "In normal times it's about 30.000, these days it's 14-20.000 people crossing the border daily" I'm not quite sure if it's only the Tornio-Haparanda area or the total land border, though.

PS - there have been no new cases in Haparanda for the last two weeks, so very similar situation on both sides. Gällivare is a whole different kettle of fish, though.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 4:09 am
Suspended

In today's paper they quote the Finnish border guards' local commander - "In normal times it's about 30.000, these days it's 14-20.000 people crossing the border daily" I'm not quite sure if it's only the Tornio-Haparanda area or the total land border, though.

PS - there have been no new cases in Haparanda for the last two weeks, so very similar situation on both sides. Gällivare is a whole different kettle of fish, though.
That 30k daily figure still doesn’t separate out those who are Swedish and those who aren’t, right?

The crossing figures for the bridge between Denmark and Sweden can’t be good at this time, but that traffic in both directions has more commonly been way more Swedes than Danes.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 5, 2020 at 4:24 am
Old Jul 5, 2020, 4:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
As long as you have documentation to prove you can enter Belarus you should be fine.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 5, 2020 at 12:43 pm
Old Jul 5, 2020, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That 30k daily figure still doesn’t separate out those who are Swedish and those who aren’t, right
No, it's a lump sum. I guess the "missing" 10-16k would be mainly the Swedes commuting/visiting/etc to Finland.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 7:45 am
Suspended

No, it's a lump sum. I guess the "missing" 10-16k would be mainly the Swedes commuting/visiting/etc to Finland.
I am not sure what I would guess for that border.

I know Swedish doctors who preferred to work in rural and northern Finland on their holidays or otherwise because Finland paid far better than Sweden. Not sure what the tax arrangements are for those cross-border workers up there, but I hadn’t realized the normal daily number of that northern cross-border traffic before this virus situation was already at more than 40% of the average daily traffic on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden. Seems surprisingly high to me.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bridge is much shorter up north The two cities have one common city center, people might live in FI, work/go to school in SE (or the other way round), has dependants on the other side, company on one side has customers on the other, etc, etc. The 30k might as well be 10k actual persons crossing to and fro several times a day. It's not so practical down south.

Interestingly my understanding is that there're a lot of health care workers pendeling from FI to SE.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:55 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
An area of Galicia is going back to lockdown. I guess any vacationer this summer must take the risk his city/village will go back to lockdown while in vacations, with possibility of being stranded.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by fransknorge
An area of Galicia is going back to lockdown. I guess any vacationer this summer must take the risk his city/village will go back to lockdown while in vacations, with possibility of being stranded.
You are allowed to go back to your home even during lockdown restrictions!
the810 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:00 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Not all of them, some in Germany are pure lockdown, in full quarantine. Allowing people to travel while in lockdown beats the purpose.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 11:04 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Not all of them, some in Germany are pure lockdown, in full quarantine. Allowing people to travel while in lockdown beats the purpose.
Even then you are allowed to go to your own house if you prove you live there. If the German Police really take it that far well then the state can pay for my hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.