Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
It's too early to tell if the french government did the best choices regarding the pandemic. Maybe in a few years everybody will say that the swedish were right about everything ? Who knows ?

Regarding the European tourism summer season, I must say that France should be on top of the list of the most attractive destinations.

Living in Paris, I have to say that the city has never been that beautiful and pleasant for tourists. There is so few tourists that all the tourists traps (like some awful montmartre/eiffel zone restaurants) didn't even bother to reopen.

Also, it looks like scam artists, beggars, street vendors and other peoples harassing tourists have almost disappeared. They don't even bother to try because they know that most walkers are these days mostly locals, even in the most touristic districts.

And a new total lockdown is clearly not an option for the government. I'm also not seeing the authorities closing the borders to other European countries because free movement within Schengen is something the ruling party cherish.

So the situation is pretty much stable for this summer in France, and it is in my opinion a good opportunity to visit some of the usually crowded sights. No restrictions apart from masks in the public transports and in some shops.
Goldorak, the810, DaveS and 1 others like this.

Last edited by IstKong; Jul 11, 2020 at 7:50 pm
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx
While it is strict in Canada, it is not nearly as difficult as New Zealand as we are allowed to travel to select EU and other countries and there are flights starting to increase to some of the Canadian cities. Yes, as of right now we do still have to self isolate upon re-entry which I personally don't mind but know it's going to be a major dealbreaker for many..
True. My issue was more the poster was lumping 'the Americas' together when Canada is on a very different path than the US, and Mexico, etc. And in central and south America things vary quite a bit too, so adding Canada to a blanket statement about 'the Americas' isn't right. Hopefully soon there will be reciprocal travel and lifting of quarantine.
yvrcnx and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Deleted (mistake)
Old Jul 12, 2020, 2:56 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by IstKong
It's too early to tell if the french government did the best choices regarding the pandemic. Maybe in a few years everybody will say that the swedish were right about everything ? Who knows ?

Regarding the European tourism summer season, I must say that France should be on top of the list of the most attractive destinations.

Living in Paris, I have to say that the city has never been that beautiful and pleasant for tourists. There is so few tourists that all the tourists traps (like some awful montmartre/eiffel zone restaurants) didn't even bother to reopen.

Also, it looks like scam artists, beggars, street vendors and other peoples harassing tourists have almost disappeared. They don't even bother to try because they know that most walkers are these days mostly locals, even in the most touristic districts.

And a new total lockdown is clearly not an option for the government. I'm also not seeing the authorities closing the borders to other European countries because free movement within Schengen is something the ruling party cherish.

So the situation is pretty much stable for this summer in France, and it is in my opinion a good opportunity to visit some of the usually crowded sights. No restrictions apart from masks in the public transports and in some shops.
The French medical community is pushing the government to make masks mandatory in all indoor spaces. A tribune signed by 100+ scientists was published yesterday.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:48 am

French average daily cases have been rising, as have Spanish ones, even more so. It's a concern, imo.

Re Swedes, there was a swede checking in in front of me at a hotel yesterday and I must admit I felt super paranoid and was hand gel-ing like nothing else afterwards and kept a huge distance.

I felt bad especially given I am a Swede (but who does not live in SE)!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
You are going to have this panic mess when cases go up and the pro mask brigade demands it, but the reality is most people do not like wearing masks even if they are scared of the virus. This will go on until there is a vaccine in the coming months.

I seriously think mandatory masks will cause people to go less to indoor places, which may sound good health wise, but economically will devastate it, already in the UK you are hearing of serious issues in high street shops even with them open, no one goes.
James91 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:03 am

I've been travelling in places that both require masks and that don't and they've been as busy in the former as the latter. Slipping a mask on for 15 minutes has hardly been a big deal at all.
adrianlondon, janwillem and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Dan1113
I've been travelling in places that both require masks and that don't and they've been as busy in the former as the latter. Slipping a mask on for 15 minutes has hardly been a big deal at all.
I've been using a mask for public transport and taxies. It's hardly an inconvenience.

One thing I've noticed since the pubs and restaurants opened in he UK is that people are sub-consciously distancing. Walking to the bar or the toilet, and people stand aside without thinking about it. Also, it seems everybody is more polite - smiling and nodding as they pass
adrianlondon and DaveS like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've been using a mask for public transport and taxies. It's hardly an inconvenience.

One thing I've noticed since the pubs and restaurants opened in he UK is that people are sub-consciously distancing. Walking to the bar or the toilet, and people stand aside without thinking about it. Also, it seems everybody is more polite - smiling and nodding as they pass
You dont see people hugging and shaking hands in the pub? Because I do, but generally I go to places where people already know each other so I guess that's the difference.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:17 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador

This fear culture is scary. I can't imagine being constantly afraid of everyone around me, it must destroy those people's minds.

I always hated crowds but I learned to enjoy them since the pandemic. I guess it tought me to appreciate having people around me. I'm glad I'm in a place where humans aren't deemed toxic. Packed trams never felt so good
LETTERBOY and James91 like this.

Last edited by the810; Jul 12, 2020 at 4:46 am
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
You dont see people hugging and shaking hands in the pub? Because I do, but generally I go to places where people already know each other so I guess that's the difference.
No, everywhere I've been people have been very good.

I met up with a group of friends on Friday, and we respected the 4 to a table rule. No shaking hands (although we never do that anyway), and I'd probably get punched if I tried to hug a male friend. All drinks and food orders via the app. The staff all wearing masks.

I've no doubt other local places will be less strict, but they generally attract a younger crowd.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:25 am

No, everywhere I've been people have been very good.

I met up with a group of friends on Friday, and we respected the 4 to a table rule. No shaking hands (although we never do that anyway), and I'd probably get punched if I tried to hug a male friend. All drinks and food orders via the app. The staff all wearing masks.

I've no doubt other local places will be less strict, but they generally attract a younger crowd.
Agreed. I went to about 5 pubs in London over the weekend, and I found it interesting how the larger chain pubs are much stricter about contact tracing, distancing on tables, while the small independently owned one are exactly the same as before, one even allows ordering and standing at the bar!

Another one wore masks the first day; the second day back to normal!
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dan1113
French average daily cases have been rising, as have Spanish ones, even more so. It's a concern, imo.

Re Swedes, there was a swede checking in in front of me at a hotel yesterday and I must admit I felt super paranoid and was hand gel-ing like nothing else afterwards and kept a huge distance.

I felt bad especially given I am a Swede (but who does not live in SE)!
I am an American surrounded by Danes and Swedes in both Sweden and Denmark. I can only wonder what hotel staff and other guests in Denmark and Sweden have been thinking when they hear me speak English, especially at this point. Before the EU had this summer tourist season opening, I had definitely noticed more looks when I was on the phone in public outdoor places in these countries; now, not so much. But I have little doubt that this pales in comparison to the travel dynamic for those in the EU/EEA who are taken for being Chinese.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:56 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
You are going to have this panic mess when cases go up and the pro mask brigade demands it, but the reality is most people do not like wearing masks even if they are scared of the virus. This will go on until there is a vaccine in the coming months.

I seriously think mandatory masks will cause people to go less to indoor places, which may sound good health wise, but economically will devastate it, already in the UK you are hearing of serious issues in high street shops even with them open, no one goes.
So there are no rules for masks being mandatory in the UK and high street shops are suffering, but making masks (a protection) mandatory will hurt shop more.
I guess it is like condoms, since we wear them one night stands disappeared and only post marriage sex exists. And anyway condoms will disappear in the coming months when the infamous AIDS vaccine come.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
So there are no rules for masks being mandatory in the UK and high street shops are suffering, but making masks (a protection) mandatory will hurt shop more.
I guess it is like condoms, since we wear them one night stands disappeared and only post marriage sex exists. And anyway condoms will disappear in the coming months when the infamous AIDS vaccine come.
Yes masks will hurt shops more. The Apple store with its military style checkpoints have even less customers than other shops!

Anyway, there is no certainty masks will be mandatory in shops in the UK, and there is what with the recommendation 10% compliance with mask wearing in shops in the UK? Shows you how much people care about it in the UK, with only 10% use.
Masks will never be the new normal, they will just be forced on people for the time being as much as possible, but many people will resist it where they can.
The fact that enforcement is so inconsistent never helps anyone's case.
the810 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.