Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus: testing and travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Do the sites mention here provide travel certificates? Taiwan is going to start requiring negative RT-PCR tests and they require their results travel certificates to have name on passport and passport number. I'm based in LA and have gotten tested a Curative drive-thru sites a few times but their negative results page has never displayed that info.

I did see that PassportHealth in LA is offering "Fit-to-Fly" certificates. Would that work? I also see Reliant Urgent Care in LA offering quick turnaround, but no mention if they provide any form of certification.

Last edited by chenalex; Nov 23, 2020 at 12:06 pm
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by chenalex
Do the sites mention here provide travel certificates? Taiwan is going to start requiring negative RT-PCR tests and they require their results travel certificates to have name on passport and passport number. I'm based in LA and have gotten tested a Curative drive-thru sites a few times but their negative results page has never displayed that info.

I did see that PassportHealth in LA is offering "Fit-to-Fly" certificates. Would that work? I also see Reliant Urgent Care in LA offering quick turnaround, but no mention if they provide any form of certification.
Since you're flying from LAX, there is a covid testing facility in LAX TBIT terminal itself (no appointment needed, $150, 24-hour turnaround), so you might want to consider just using them. Given that it is an airport testing facility it should be easy to resolve any issues if you encounter them at checkin? Note - i haven't tried them myself, but yesterday I saw some airlines (emirates etc) directing passengers to it because they didn't have the right results or whatever.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Testing requirements during the holidays (72 hours prior)

Looking to travel from Miami to St. Kitts on 12/27 (staying at the Park Hyatt) on AA an nonstop flight leaving at 11am. St. Kitts requires a PCR test (in-person) 72 hours prior to travel, which would mean Christmas Eve day. It would then need to be processed prior to departure (and in time for me to submit forms to the St. Kitts Tourism Board).

Curious if anyone has any idea on the logistics of this. Only flight from USA to St. Kitts is from Miami, and only runs every few days, so the next flight is not until 12/30. Curious what is the plan for all of the people on the 12/27 flight - how are they supposed to get tested + results back during Christmas? Any suggestions?
Old Dec 8, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Looking to travel from Miami to St. Kitts on 12/27 (staying at the Park Hyatt) on AA an nonstop flight leaving at 11am. St. Kitts requires a PCR test (in-person) 72 hours prior to travel, which would mean Christmas Eve day. It would then need to be processed prior to departure (and in time for me to submit forms to the St. Kitts Tourism Board).

Curious if anyone has any idea on the logistics of this. Only flight from USA to St. Kitts is from Miami, and only runs every few days, so the next flight is not until 12/30. Curious what is the plan for all of the people on the 12/27 flight - how are they supposed to get tested + results back during Christmas? Any suggestions?
Just wondering if you found a solution to this, as I may be in a similar situation. Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Just wondering if you found a solution to this, as I may be in a similar situation. Thanks!
Unfortunately not. Mail in tests also risky given even if shipped on 24th will not arrive until the 26th, so only 1 day processing.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Unfortunately not. Mail in tests also risky given even if shipped on 24th will not arrive until the 26th, so only 1 day processing.
Thank you. I was hoping to fly out on the 28th but because of this I'm going to have to stick to either countries requiring the rapid test or countries requiring no test.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:52 pm

Missing flight connection causing covid test result being outside 72 hours?

Over the last few months, has anyone missed their flight connection due to a delay which caused issued with covid test no longer being within 72 hours? If yes, what exactly was your experience?

I'm considering taking a flight, which has a layover AAA - BBB - CCC, where the second leg is only run once a day and to enter the destination you need a 72 hour test result. But if I miss the 2 hour connection at the layover, it will most likely mean my test result is now stale by the time I get the next flight out from the layover. Has anyone encountered this? What did you do in this scenario? I just want to be fully prepared for any eventuality.

(I'm wasn't sure if this should go in an existing thread or new)

Last edited by nomiiiii; Dec 18, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Old Dec 19, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I haven't experienced it personally, but as far as I can see, this is (unfortunately) a straightforward case: if you are heading to a country which requires a covid test result dating from less than 72 hours, then I can't imagine authorities showing flexibility regardless of whether you do not have one because the lab did not process the result in the time it promised, you missed your connection, or for that matter your original flight.

Does your transit airport have a covid testing facility which you could perhaps use to have another test should you be stuck there a bit longer than hoped?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:33 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I'm transiting in Dubai so its probably not the biggest problem because they are quite efficient with covid testing at the airport and elsewhere also. Just a bit paranoid i guess with all the travel uncertainty nowadays.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 11:36 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Over the last few months, has anyone missed their flight connection due to a delay which caused issued with covid test no longer being within 72 hours? If yes, what exactly was your experience?

I'm considering taking a flight, which has a layover AAA - BBB - CCC, where the second leg is only run once a day and to enter the destination you need a 72 hour test result. But if I miss the 2 hour connection at the layover, it will most likely mean my test result is now stale by the time I get the next flight out from the layover. Has anyone encountered this? What did you do in this scenario? I just want to be fully prepared for any eventuality.

(I'm wasn't sure if this should go in an existing thread or new)
It depends on where you are going to. For South Africa for instance the test (time of swab taken) needs to be within 72 hours from scheduled departure from the origin of the PNR. For other countries it is <72 hours from landing. So check the specific requirements of your destination.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh
It depends on where you are going to. For South Africa for instance the test (time of swab taken) needs to be within 72 hours from scheduled departure from the origin of the PNR. For other countries it is <72 hours from landing. So check the specific requirements of your destination.
Does that still apply if the transit is over 24 hours? The guidelines aren’t very clear on that as my itinerary has a 32 hour transit at IST before connecting to CPT. Not sure if I will need to test again at IST but I’m planning to test either way before departing from SFO.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by arthursiew
Does that still apply if the transit is over 24 hours? The guidelines aren’t very clear on that as my itinerary has a 32 hour transit at IST before connecting to CPT. Not sure if I will need to test again at IST but I’m planning to test either way before departing from SFO.
I don't know about these transit rules, but looking at that itineary, it is now in doubt that you could fly between Turkey and South Africa at all for a while (see the other thread on this forum for more on these developments regarding flight restrictions related to the new virus strain).
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Yes. I saw airline reps stopping the people who were required to show the test results for some travel out of the US; and this happened for some at check-in and for others at boarding time. In the latter case, it involved the airline offloading an already checked-in passenger.

Whether or not a post-boarding delay to the actual flight bringing a passenger to their destination would involve passport control denying them entry for being a day or even just some hours late? That's likely to be more of a YMMV thing.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
PCR Testing in PHL area less than 48hrs

Most COVID testing places in the PHL/NJ area offer results within 2-3 days. Many countries require test results within 72hrs. And they require a PCR test (and do not accept a rapid test).
If you factor in flight intl flight departures often being late in the day and the possibility of delays to the next day, and just not wanting to cut it too close before you might need to cancel everything, you really need to get a result in less than 48hrs, maybe less.

Therefore, I'd like to review my options in this area to get a PCR test and results in less than 48hrs
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:16 am

Covid-19 Test 72 hours within Sunday (Christmas everywhere is closed) [in Atlanta]

My mother-in-law is returning to Peru (via Delta - Atlanta to Lima) where they require a Covid-19 Test within 72 hours of the flight.

However, the test takes 1-3 days for results to come in (they do not allow same day tests, has to be specifically a molecular PCR Test).

The molecular test results came back too early, and we specifically asked for the results to come back on Saturday.

Does anyone know if the 72-hour window applies to Holidays where testing is closed?

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.