Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Essential travel

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2020, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Essential travel

Just curious, as to why folks are traveling during this pandemic? I have heard mileage runs, is this true for anybody?
Old May 4, 2020, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by skylady
Just curious, as to why folks are traveling during this pandemic? I have heard mileage runs, is this true for anybody?
No....I’m staying at home like we’re told.
BearX220, deeruck, TBD and 5 others like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:29 am

Doctors, researches, rescue teams, governmental agencies, executives, etc.

There are always some people who say it is 'essential' to travel as getting their elite status helps keep their reputation in social media.
Mileage runs? To some bloggers, it's essential job.

There are some other MRers who fly just to fuel their dreams of DYIWIA.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; May 4, 2020 at 5:42 am
Old May 4, 2020, 5:07 am

Seriously don't call the PD for social distancing issues, its driving us insane. Second I'm assuming essential travel is for the doctors or specialized people that need to go around the country to help. Being based out of DFW I hope that American Airlines can get through this. Although they haven't exactly customer friendly these days, this is well before covid 19.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:29 am

No one is forbidden to fly. Each person doing so weighs personal risk to themselves and others against the importance of their trip. Every case is different.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
The only flying that I've done in the past month was a quick trip to San Diego to retrieve my in-laws car after we flew them home. My last actual business trip was from Sao Paulo to San Diego just before everything stopped. I think for me, business travel will start ramping up again at the end of May. The only leisure travel that my wife and I have done since the lock down was a weekend trip to Orlando knowing full well that it would be a seclusion get-away since we would be able to sit by an empty pool and cook food from a grocery store in our room. With all of the steps that AA is putting in place, my opinion is that flying is safe - just not going to Covid hot spots like New York or Seattle soon.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:01 am

Corona Pandemic - "Mileage Runs"

I am flying since my job as an essential worker requires that I travel. We are under self monitoring for any symptoms and thus heavily monitored. Therefore, should we come down with any then we're required to quarantine and isolate for at least 14 days. More importantly, we are to seek medical care and testing for the virus should we contract it. Not everyone is trying to spoof the system.
Often1, Antarius and Dublin_rfk like this.

Last edited by pilot767; May 4, 2020 at 7:08 am Reason: Clarify
Old May 4, 2020, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Essential" is a broad term and it is defined differently by pretty much every jurisdiction. There are likely some passengers who are violating the letter and the spirit of the law. They put themselves and others needless at risk. But, that has little to do with AA or airlines in general as air is just one mode of transport and one more place where people are in close proximity.
Old May 4, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Not flying currently, but have plans to visit an elderly relative in June/July. Will fly DCA-DFW-ABQ and then quarantine for 14 days in an AirBnb before seeing her at her home. Since she is over 90 years old, not sure I can wait 12-24 months for a vaccine to make it safe to visit.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
not flying ,since I got back from India in March... seems odd.. especially when I still get alerts to check in for flights that I have already cancelled.
but will need to get back to India for work.. trust me there is not major rush.. when the country opens.. and I feel safe.. the trip is on
Old May 4, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by JetAway
No one is forbidden to fly. Each person doing so weighs personal risk to themselves and others against the importance of their trip. Every case is different.
Not true. Some jurisdictions are limiting travel to essential service. It may not be enforced but it does exist and each person doesn't have the right to weigh their importance over risking infection to others.
Old May 4, 2020, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There is no lock down on travel and no law limiting travel to "essential." You might have a moral argument but there's at this time no legal argument. Given that the economy is slowing re-opening I don't see restrictions being imposed. I leave the moral argument to others.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:02 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
If you are essential and do travel, it's not your job to try and figure out if the other people on your flight are essential as well. Nobody knows why they are traveling and there could be so many reasons. All I do know is it's not my business or anyone else's. You can only control yourself.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I have to fly to NYC in June for a personal reason. It isn't essential in the sense of greater societal good, but it is for me. Wish I didn't have to to.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
There is no lock down on travel and no law limiting travel to "essential."
You're demonstrably wrong. At least in some places, for example Washington DC where I live, there is an order with legal force that requires residents to stay at home unless they have an enumerated reason to leave home. Read the order for yourself here: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/sites/def...er2020.063.pdf
(A fine of $1000 per violation may be imposed for violating, not that I expect anyone to incur such a fine: https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council...ns/7-2307.html)

In relevant part:
"It is ORDERED that . . . 2. Individuals living, working, and visiting Washington, DC must continue to stay at their place of residence, only leaving for essential activities, essential government functions, essential business, essential travel or allowable recreation."
Those terms (essential business, etc.) are defined later. Is there widespread flouting of this order? Absolutely. Is there reasonable ambiguity as to what these terms mean, even after reading the definitions later in the order? Sure.

But saying there is "no law limiting travel to 'essential'" travel is just plain wrong.

As for OP's question, I'm planning on taking a trip somewhere in a few weeks. Wife is a nurse and she has 10 days off in a row later in the month, so we will likely try to head someplace that is opened up just for a change of scenery and some outdoor hiking, etc., if nothing else. Unsure whether we will fly or drive. I really want to fly because I miss flying, but flying with a mask and reduced service just seems like it would be sad. I haven't done any business travel since March 12 but plan to resume seeing clients in late June.
EuropeanPete and trouble747 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.