Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Mod note on thread engagement:

A reminder that this thread is about the self-isolation requirements for UK arrivals.

It is a help/Information resource for those travelling or returning to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from outside the UK. Let's concentrate on news, questions and answers that are relevant and on-topic and stay away from speculations about the spread of the virus, the performance of politicians and other topics which are more suitable for OMNI.

Please stay within these requirements to avoid issues.

LATEST UPDATES

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-t...virus-covid-19

18 March travel to the UK changes

If you will arrive in the UK from abroad after 4am, Friday 18 March, you do not need to:
  • take any COVID-19 tests – before you travel or after you arrive
  • fill in a UK passenger locator form before you travel

This will apply whether you are vaccinated or not.

You also will not need to quarantine when you arrive, in line with current rules.
Other countries still have COVID-19 entry rules in place. You should check travel advice before you travel.
If you will arrive in England before 4am, 18 March, you must follow the current rules as set out in this guidance.

The following historical information is retained for the time being.

The Passenger Locator Form for passengers arriving into the UK can be found here:
https://visas-immigration.service.go...r-locator-form
This can only be completed once you are within 48 hours of arrival in the UK.

Exemption list from quarantine requirements - specific details:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules

England
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to England: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2021/582/contents (this html version is updated, but may not have the very latest updates for Statutory Instruments released in the last few days)

Test to release for England only from 15 December, see post 4776 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32841066-post4776.html

Statutory instrument for transport providers http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Scotland
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to Scotland: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/169/contents (this html version is updated)

Wales
Statutory instrument for individual passengers arriving in to Wales: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/574/contents (this html version is updated) &
Welsh language version: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2...0200574_we.pdf

Northern Ireland
Statutory instrument https://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/2021/99/contents (this html version is updated)

PRACTICAL GUIDANCE FOR QUICK RELEASE FROM SELF-ISOLATION (based on November 28th updates)
[This section has been moved lower down in the wiki post following the change in self-isolation rule on 7th January 2022[

Any PCR test noted as a UK Government Day 2 test will be accepted for release from self isolation as soon as you get the negative result. If it is any other PCR test (eg "Fit to Fly") and not advertised specifically as a Day 2 test then it won't be valid.

This means that you can:[list]
  • Book a suitable Day 2 PCR test before you travel and use the booking reference for the test on the PLF (Passenger Locator Form).
    • On your day of arrival go to your scheduled test.
      • Proceed to you place of self-isolation and await the result, which will hopefully be same / next day.

Alternatively:
        • Book any Day 2 PCR test before you travel even if you do not intend to use this test, and use the booking reference for the test on the PLF to ensure entry to the UK.
          • Note that you are not strictly required to have a PCR booking before arrival, but your carrier might not know that so you run the risk of being denied boarding
          • On your day of arrival (or before end of Day 2) go to a walk-in test centre and take a different test to the one you booked.
            • Proceed to you place of self-isolation and await the result, which will hopefully be same / next day.

If you are leaving the UK before the end of day 2 then you do not need to take a test, but are required to self-isolate for the duration of your trip (since you do not have a negative result). Also, if you are self-isolating while waiting for a result (and hence have not been informed of a positive result and need to isolate) you may travel to leave the country.

If you take a test and it is positive for any variant of COVID you will be required to isolate for 10 days from the date of the test.

Whether you take a test or not you may be contacted by the UK Test and Trace system at any time if it becomes apparent that you have been in contact with another case. This is very unlikely to happen before day 3 if it is in relation to your flight to UK. Depending on the suspected / identified variant for that case and if you are fully-vaccinated by an accepted programme (see below for links to what this means and valid exemptions) :
        • Omnicron or not fully-vaccinated: You will be required to isolated for 10 days, including a bar on travel to leave the country. A negative Day 2 test does not release you from this requirement.
          • Other and fully vaccinated : You will not be required to isolate.

Test Providers for Day 2/8 tests & Day 5 Test to release
This section is for FTers to post their experience with specific providers (good or bad). Keep it brief and to the point. Please mention how the service is provided and your FT name.

DNA Workplace - Postal - Test kits arrived with me on time. Royal Mail slow for return. 5+ days for Day 2 result. #DaveS
DNA Workplace - Postal - Test kits both arrived on time, video of tests required, results by late evening Day 3 and Day 9. #TSE
ExpressTest Gatwick - Drive through - Tested early at 1000 a few times for TTR. Results came through in evening. #DaveS
NowTest - Postal - Day 2 kit arrived on time, day 8 did not. Will update with result arrival times when applicable. #wilsnunn
Collinson - Postal - Day 5 Test to Release kit arrived in time. Results and release by end of day 6. #tjcxx
CTM - Postal - Days 2/8 kits arrived together in time. Both sent results 2 days after posting. #tjcxx
Qured (Oncologica) - Postal -Day 2/8 kits arrived late. Results 3+ days from posting. #Gagravarr
Qured (Oncologica) - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived on time. Day 2 result on Day 5 and Day 8 result on Day 10 - happy customer! #EddLegll
Qured (Ocnologica) - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived on time. Day 2 result on Day 5 (after bedtime; ironically after my TTR result). #KSVVZ2015
Anglia DNA - Postal - Day 2/8 kits arrived early. (Both were labelled Day2). Results on Day 4 and Day 9. Cheapest on the list at the time, and good service/result. #tjcxx
Qured - Pre-flight test booked and bought through BA. Very efficient service. Highly recommended. #lhrsfo
Randox - Days 2 and 8. Booked two days before return, using BA discount. Kits already arrived on return. Slightly confusing instructions but manageable. Used Randox dropbox and results next day. Good. #lhrsfo
Randox - Day 2 (also used as pre departure test for a London to Milan flight). Used a drop box and results arrived at midnight the next day. #11101
Randox - Day 2 test centre - 2h30 queues outside the test centre in Waterloo. Results of antigen arrived 45 minutes later. #11101
Collinson - Test to Release at LHR T2. Good trip out! Very efficient service and well organised. Used BA discount. Results by end of day. Excellent. #lhrsfo
DAM - Test to Release in Fulham (they have many locations) - the cheapest fast turnaround TTR we have found. They promise 24 hours but in reality me, my wife, and my son (on different days) have received results inside of 12 hours. Very efficient staff as well. Princes outside of Central London as low as 99 GBP. Fulham is 129 GBP. #KSVVZ2015
Boots/Source Bioscience - days 2&8. Both packs sent in the same mail, waiting at the isolation address. Dropped off at postbox at 4pm, result back next day between 4 and 5 pm, very effective. Bought from Boots, £160, but same package sold directly bu Source Bioscience is just £120. Aaargh! Instructions said nasal and throat swabs, did only nasal and marked accordingly, no issues. #WilcoRoger
Collinsons/Stansted walkin TTR - test taken 1:30 pm, email with results 10:10 pm same day If the BA20OFF doesn't work (didn't work for us) there's another discount on the airport's site #WilcoRoger
Ordered Day-2 kit from Chronomics a week before our return for £18.99. Duly dispatched day we were returning to UK, so arrived on day following return. Reasonably simple process to do test and upload -ve result picture. Not sure where +ve result would have led to... #EsherFlyer
Hale Clinic testing centre (near Oxford Circus) - While not the least expensive, appoint schedules are accurate and results returned in promised timeframe. I've used the clinic for Day 2 tests (twice) and antigen test for US (once). I would def utilize again. #ecaarch
Halo at T5 (Sofitel) - Day 2 PCR spit test. Took the test 7pm, results arrived 7am the next day. No queues but a slightly awkward process to follow.

Useful data sources:

New cases per 100k - 7 days: https://covid19.who.int/table
New tests per 1000 - 7 days: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing
Vaccination doses per 100: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
Sequenced samples uploaded to GISAID: https://www.gisaid.org/index.php?id=208
NHS Track & Trace data (positivity rates for arriving passengers are published every three weeks, so if you can't find the data in the current release it will be in one of the previous two) https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...weekly-reports https://assets.publishing.service.go...ut_week_50.ods
UK daily COVID data https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga...827.1594116739
Risk assessment methodology to inform international travel traffic light system
Data informing international travel traffic-light risk assessments

Testing Terminology
Notes which may assist with understanding which tests to use and with "reuse" of UK tests for other countries regulations:
  • LFT: Lateral Flow Test - A rapid antigen test using nasal / throat swab typically performed by the traveler at home, hotel, etc using simple disposable device. Usually tests the "outer shell" of the nucleus (which causes the symptoms and is reasonably stable across variants) and not the "spikes" (which allow new variants to invade more easily), so gives a positive result for many variants. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-...d_antigen_test)
  • PCR: Polymerase Chain Reaction - A laboratory based test which looks at the nucleus of the virus to determine which specific variant it is. After a positive LFT test ("I have some form of COVID") a PCR test ("You have the Gamma variant") allows identification and tracking of new variants to see if they are likely to become a "variant of concern". (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction)
  • NAAT: Nucleic Acid Amplification Test - A general class of laboratory based tests which includes PCR, LAMP, etc tests. (See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...b/naats.html)
Print Wikipost

UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
Originally Posted by KARFA
for pre arrival tests it is children under 11 who are exempt.

for the day 2&8 tests you need to get them for any child age 5 or older.

not sure about certificates, hopefully someone else can help on that.
Thanks for that, had exactly the same question for upcoming half term trip to Greek islands, cannot find much in the way of explanations on gov.uk

Additionally, in terms of Amber countries and day 5 early release tests, does that apply to children age 5 or over?
Old May 12, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Apologies - I've tried looking upthread with no success.

Just to confirm, am I correct in thinking that if we land in the UK on Day 0 and depart before the end of Day 2, there is no requirement to pay for the Day 2 (if a Green Arrival) or Day 2 + 8 (if Amber) testing package.

What do we put on our PLFs to demarcate this and explain to Border Force etc... Is there something on Gov.UK that outlines this to show check-in staff, too?

Many thanks for the help!
Old May 12, 2021, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Lifetime TE
Help!

Scheduled to arrive at LHR from SFO on 6/3, for an already booked stay in the Isles of Scilly (timeshare booking, deferred twice, and likely forfeited if not used now) -- have visited before and know well that it's a 24/36-hour slog from LHR to St Martin (we have two weeks at the Karma, 6/4-18, followed by another week elsewhere in the Scillies/London). Love the place, but seriously daunted by the quarantine prospects, and a little unsure I appreciate what we're in for if we take the plunge...

First question -- can we overnight in Penzance en route to St.Martin? I believe that's allowed -- our transit from LHR is via train to Penzance upon our 6/3 arrival, where we overnight, followed by two ferries (to St Mary's, then St Martin) next morning on 6/4 -- and there really isn't any other decent alternative AFAIK (and I have flown and driven parts in the past). I think I read, though, that our night in Penzance won't count as quarantine time for purposes of TTR (but would love to be corrected if it does, such that we might TTR on 6/8 rather than 6/9).

Second question -- I'm all but certain test-by-mail is our only testing option, there being no testing avaialble on either St Martin or St Mary's, or even in Penzance last I checked (even assuming we spent a day ferrying back and forth from St Martin, necessitating more overnighting on St Mary's), and wondered whether there are any test providers in Cornwall (minimizing mail travel distance) operating by mail that anyone would recommend? Last I scoured the approved provider list (before the traffic light announcement), nothing seemed very obviously good (I do need to dig deeper into the latest list). I hate relying on Royal Post given the delay factor, but having no other options, and having received UK-origin mail (reasonably quickly) on St Martin in the past, feel like it may not be completely crazy. It does make me wonder about the utility of TTR, though we're planning on that in hopes of saving at least a couple of days of quarantine.

Third, any thoughts on how restrictive quarantining at a (non-managed) hotel, and in particular, whether technically we should able to get some occasional outside air on the hotel grounds and maybe even on the attached small beach/pier? Were we quarantining at home, I seem to recall that we'd be allowed time outside on our property, so, not sure how differently this works in a shared accommodation -- and not leaving our room at all would be a big downer, even if we manage to clear TTR in say a week. Just thinking of subsisting on room service (the grocery selection on St Martin is pretty sparse) for a week itself seems a bit dire.

Last, while I'm prepared to field the calls checking up on us, I do wonder whether an actual visit is at all likely, given the remoteness of the location and dearth of police in the Scillies? Not that I'd flout any quarantine requirements -- though we might relax a bit more at times, based on the pretty limited ferry schedule...

We'd certainly postpone this travel, but again, this trip unfortunately is a now-or-never, and the Scillies are worth considerable effort (as our simply getting there from the west coast several times attests!). Particularly frustrating as wife and I had the jab months ago (or wouldn't even think about making the trip), and our home state and city would likely have made the green list, even though the US obviously didn't -- irrelevant though all that is.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!
Old May 12, 2021, 11:49 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by Cathay1101

Just to confirm, am I correct in thinking that if we land in the UK on Day 0 and depart before the end of Day 2, there is no requirement to pay for the Day 2 (if a Green Arrival) or Day 2 + 8 (if Amber) testing package.

What do we put on our PLFs to demarcate this and explain to Border Force etc... Is there something on Gov.UK that outlines this to show check-in staff, too?

It does appear from the legislation that you do not need the day 2 test. The issue will be convincing the check in agent and BF here. The wording of the law is posted within the last couple of days in this thread. I would recommend a backup plan for purchase should the check in say no. In theory the PLF should not ask, but may well do. in the past you could enter anything in the field, but it is possible that is being parsed. A bit of research on the guidance for day 2/8 providers will show you the format for what can be entered.
Fritz likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by heggers03
Thanks for that, had exactly the same question for upcoming half term trip to Greek islands, cannot find much in the way of explanations on gov.uk

Additionally, in terms of Amber countries and day 5 early release tests, does that apply to children age 5 or over?
This was asked in the last couple of days. There is no lower age limit in the rules for the day 5 TTR. That may well be an omission like so many other parts of this, but that is how it is. Testing a small baby does not seem right to me, but at present it is in theory required.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by badah
Scheduled to arrive at LHR from SFO on 6/3, for an already booked stay in the Isles of Scilly (timeshare booking, deferred twice, and likely forfeited if not used now) -- have visited before and know well that it's a 24/36-hour slog from LHR to St Martin (we have two weeks at the Karma, 6/4-18, followed by another week elsewhere in the Scillies/London). Love the place, but seriously daunted by the quarantine prospects, and a little unsure I appreciate what we're in for if we take the plunge...

First question -- can we overnight in Penzance en route to St.Martin? I believe that's allowed -- our transit from LHR is via train to Penzance upon our 6/3 arrival, where we overnight, followed by two ferries (to St Mary's, then St Martin) next morning on 6/4 -- and there really isn't any other decent alternative AFAIK (and I have flown and driven parts in the past). I think I read, though, that our night in Penzance won't count as quarantine time for purposes of TTR (but would love to be corrected if it does, such that we might TTR on 6/8 rather than 6/9).

Second question -- I'm all but certain test-by-mail is our only testing option, there being no testing avaialble on either St Martin or St Mary's, or even in Penzance last I checked (even assuming we spent a day ferrying back and forth from St Martin, necessitating more overnighting on St Mary's), and wondered whether there are any test providers in Cornwall (minimizing mail travel distance) operating by mail that anyone would recommend? Last I scoured the approved provider list (before the traffic light announcement), nothing seemed very obviously good (I do need to dig deeper into the latest list). I hate relying on Royal Post given the delay factor, but having no other options, and having received UK-origin mail (reasonably quickly) on St Martin in the past, feel like it may not be completely crazy. It does make me wonder about the utility of TTR, though we're planning on that in hopes of saving at least a couple of days of quarantine.

Third, any thoughts on how restrictive quarantining at a (non-managed) hotel, and in particular, whether technically we should able to get some occasional outside air on the hotel grounds and maybe even on the attached small beach/pier? Were we quarantining at home, I seem to recall that we'd be allowed time outside on our property, so, not sure how differently this works in a shared accommodation -- and not leaving our room at all would be a big downer, even if we manage to clear TTR in say a week. Just thinking of subsisting on room service (the grocery selection on St Martin is pretty sparse) for a week itself seems a bit dire.

Last, while I'm prepared to field the calls checking up on us, I do wonder whether an actual visit is at all likely, given the remoteness of the location and dearth of police in the Scillies? Not that I'd flout any quarantine requirements -- though we might relax a bit more at times, based on the pretty limited ferry schedule...

We'd certainly postpone this travel, but again, this trip unfortunately is a now-or-never, and the Scillies are worth considerable effort (as our simply getting there from the west coast several times attests!). Particularly frustrating as wife and I had the jab months ago (or wouldn't even think about making the trip), and our home state and city would likely have made the green list, even though the US obviously didn't -- irrelevant though all that is.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!
1) You can overnight on route to your quarantine location.

2) There would be no advantage to using a Cornwall test provider. Local and national mail is usually delivered in the same time scale.

3) Usually you would be OK on your own property. I don't think this is entirely clear, but I would not worry to much about exercise on the hotel grounds. Avoid the bar...

4) No idea about the visits. It is possible the police would be tasked for that. Even if their numbers are limited, I cannot imagine they are too busy to not try.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS

2) There would be no advantage to using a Cornwall test provider. Local and national mail is usually delivered in the same time scale.

3) Usually you would be OK on your own property. I don't think this is entirely clear, but I would not worry to much about exercise on the hotel grounds. Avoid the bar...

4) No idea about the visits. It is possible the police would be tasked for that. Even if their numbers are limited, I cannot imagine they are too busy to not try.
To add, the day you arrive is day 0, you then count 5 days to day 5 for TTR. Where you spend the nights of your quarantine is irrelevant, it is including your day of arrival as day 0 that triggers the feeling that you are quarantine for an extra day.
DaveS likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 3:43 am
Suspended

On (4) - I would think this is one of the most likely places in the UK for you to get a visit. Polar opposite of London. On (3) - it may also be one of the places they interpret the rules really strictly. But that's just guessing. All my self-isolation experiences are in Zone 2 London.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Cathay1101

You shouldn't have a problem but I would make sure you have your onward itinerary printed to show along the way. I just flew FCO-LHR, had 22 hours in London, then flew LHR-PHL. On the PLF you tick "Stay in the UK" but then have the option to select you don't need a test package. Border Force is accustomed to that but I would try to avoid your onward flight being a cheap Ryanair flight. BF told me there is a big issue of people arriving in the UK and showing cheap onward tickets they end up throwing away, sounds like they plan to throw the book at those folks but they had no issue with my onward ticket being business class to the US.
Cathay1101 and DaveS like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:31 am
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Upthread someone had mentioned needing to cancel and rebook a Collinson testing appt in order to amend it. FYI, we were able to successfully amend the location, date, and time of our "Day 8 or later" tests with Collinson simply by using the chat function on their website. It took a good 25 minutes to get an agent to respond but once they did, the task was completed in a few minutes using our booking confirmation and contact details. The revised booking was immediately viewable upon logging in to their website.

Question: Is the Collinson LHR T2 testing location readily apparent? T5 had signs everywhere directing you to it, so it was easy to find.
Fritz and DaveS like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 6:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is the ECDC update for infection cases per 100,000 population, per 14 days cumulative.

I will have to do the other countries as a separate post, ECDC hasn't updated all the access links today in the way they usually do. The colour above relate to the UK's traffic light system for incoming arrivals, and apply from Monday 17 May. They are not consistent across the time period (Turkey's red means something very different to other red dates).

As predicted last week, some really big falls in Europe and the USA, as the vaccination process and weather improves. Some of the big infection peaks have come down, notably Cyprus.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 13, 2021 at 7:09 am
Old May 13, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
You shouldn't have a problem but I would make sure you have your onward itinerary printed to show along the way. I just flew FCO-LHR, had 22 hours in London, then flew LHR-PHL. On the PLF you tick "Stay in the UK" but then have the option to select you don't need a test package. Border Force is accustomed to that but I would try to avoid your onward flight being a cheap Ryanair flight. BF told me there is a big issue of people arriving in the UK and showing cheap onward tickets they end up throwing away, sounds like they plan to throw the book at those folks but they had no issue with my onward ticket being business class to the US.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Yes, we'll be going BTS-STN (on FR, of course ) and then LGW-CUN less than 24 hours later. On the return PHL-LHR/BTS-STN I suppose we can show our residency cards to demonstrate that we actually live in SK and have no intention of hanging around in the UK at that point in time. Hopefully check-in won't be too much of a hassle, either. Would be handy to find the actual law or for them to put something on Gov.UK about this.
Old May 13, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I don't know about the departure test, that is something you should ask the provider. Collinson are at Manchester airport, there may be others. You do need to pay for all the tests as the invoice numbers have to go on the PLF.

You do need to pay for the day 8, however you could delay taking it and potentially use it for your return flight. The day 8 test must be taken on or after day 8, but the law does not say how long after. If you have used the day 5 TTR, then you should be free anyway.
Thank you Dave. I am leaving about a month later (July 5), so delaying day 8 will be financially useful.
Old May 13, 2021, 7:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tanglin
Thank you Dave. I am leaving about a month later (July 5), so delaying day 8 will be financially useful.
i think the problem is you can't finish your self isolation until you have taken both tests, so i don't think it helps you with those time frames.
Old May 13, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
i think the problem is you can't finish your self isolation until you have taken both tests, so i don't think it helps you with those time frames.
If you take the day 5 TTR (and get a negative result), then self isolation is over. The day 8 test does not change that.
Geordie405 and KARFA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.