Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Flying as an Asian...Should I be scared?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying as an Asian...Should I be scared?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
you and your friend will be fine...you should understand that the media will take one incident and make a meal of it...
Its just like when my wife and I travel.. (me Indian,my wife American).. ever had a problem all over Asia or any part of the world
(well i does help, that I grew up in England..and my accent is very English.. so most people dont even think I am from India. .. even the customs people at Indian airports)
mendacio and givionte like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:04 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Travel in this time is so speculative, I guess if non-essential leisure, you got to ask is with worth it?

As to risk for any ethnic group in any country, there are always a fringe group acts that get lots of press and build unfavorable impressions. The reality is during this crazy time in what places and what kind of bias are sensationalized or not.

Take even the COVID19 risk the actual risk is very very low, but the impact to those that get it are huge. I view getting exposed to prejudice is similar depending on the timing and location.

Should you be scared, no, should you be prudent and what is prudent is in the eye of the beholder.
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:06 pm

Here in Germany, there were a few reports of discrimination against Chinese back in February. Like a doctor refusing to admit a Chinese patient, or a cashier visibly disinfecting his workplace after having served a Chinese customer. These coronavirus-inspired cases don't appear to be a widespread problem (our press is very sensitive to such cases, and there are no recent reports). You should be fine, assuming you can travel at all.
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for your service as an Emergency Room doctor.
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
I doubt the chance of any racially motivated attack against you would be much higher if at all in the EU than in the US this coming summer. There have certainly been some horrifying cases of it in Europe, but the same is true for the USA. No place has a monopoly on violent racists I guess.

However, there's a good chance you might not be able to do much in Europe this summer. Internal borders are up all over the Schengen area now, some of which have just been extended, several countries are considering mandatory quarantine of 1 or 2 weeks for all who enter them until further notice, Austrian Chancellor Kurz suggested Austrians should plan their summer holidays in Austria rather than abroad, and of course the whole lockdown thing can happen again at any point in any country if there's a sudden increase in new cases. There's a perfectly good chance Germany might not even let you, or anyone else, enter for tourist purposes from outside the EU/Schengen. Museums and tourist spots are probably the last thing that any country is going to open. The President of the European Commission is cautioning people to hold off booking summer vacations for now, because the situation is too precarious.

Sorry to be this pessimistic, but if I were in your shoes, as things stand now, I'd be hoping Condor gives me an excuse to cancel the tickets without penalty due to a schedule change or cancellation. I'd probably be sketching out a road-trip to Willamette or Walla Walla this summer instead - at least that can be scrapped at short notice without too much trouble. Whatever you do, don't book anything (hotels) where you have to pay in advance, and monitor the developing situation closely.

Hope you get a favourable resolution, and that we can all travel more freely next year. And thank you for your efforts day to day!
GUWonder and mendacio like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:34 am

Racism in the west tends to be covert so you are likely fine, safety wise.
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Dream of Flying
Racism in the west tends to be covert so you are likely fine, safety wise.
Well, unless you confront it. Like the Singaporean in London who decided to speak up for Asians and got beat up.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-51736755
For all the racism against blacks in Guangzhou I haven't seen anybody get beat up yet.
Dream of Flying and mendacio like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I think the bigger concern will be whether the flight takes off at all. EU may be closed to external flights until September...

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...e-to-covid-19/
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: LH M+M
Also LOT just cancelled the buy-out of Condor. Take your eyes on the airline for now.
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by justforfun
I think the bigger concern will be whether the flight takes off at all. EU may be closed to external flights until September...

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...e-to-covid-19/
Not closed to external flights, but closed to external travelers of a sort. The external traveler restriction hits the willingness of common carriers to operate scheduled commercial carrier flights, but that is not the same thing as the EU being closed to external flights.
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Also LOT just cancelled the buy-out of Condor. Take your eyes on the airline for now.
Indeed. I think German government will roll over the EUR380m due at the end of this week and work on a restructure programme. Might we see a strong suggestion that Condor becomes part of the same rescue package as LH?
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Indeed. I think German government will roll over the EUR380m due at the end of this week and work on a restructure programme. Might we see a strong suggestion that Condor becomes part of the same rescue package as LH?
News this morning said the 380m are due tomorrow already?! But yeah, some package might pop up.

One thing about being asian in Germany: people realized now that this a worldwide thing; you might experience that "scared ones" are keeping more distance - but didnt hear about outright threatenings or so. (the "scared ones" will also tripple distance if you (or I) sneeze )
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
Originally Posted by mendacio
Not a whole lot of anti-Asian sentiment in Dublin? (was thinking of going to Ireland too!)
Happy to report that overt displays of racism are extremely rare in Ireland.

You mention that your planned timing was in July...I'd be more worried about the place still being in lockdown then and you having a boring holiday. Travel / recreation outside 2km from your home is not encouraged and over the weekend (albeit a bank holiday weekend), the police were stopping and questioning travellers.
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mendacio
Hey guys,

Got myself in a small, first-world predicament.

I booked a ticket from SEA to FRA on Condor and I'm scheduled to fly in July. Its a while from now but as an Asian American, I'm having second thoughts about going to Europe this summer. I'm hoping things are at a bit of a standstill so Condor will allow me to cancel/change my flight. 200Euro to change, and its only til the end of the season, not the year (sucks!)

Reason why I care about this flight is because I booked for my friend and I on business class, so its 4600 USD out of my pocket. I normally don't book business but did so because of the mileage bonuses. Seeing what's happening particularly in Italy, Spain, France, I'm a little scared to even fly into Germany, more for the racial stuff-I work in a hospital so its not COVID itself I'm scared of. Its a lot of cost to forfeit these tickets. After seeing all of the press on Asian hate crimes and stuff, one cannot help but wonder.

One of my coworkers told me its similar to WWII-German Americans being called Nazi sympathizers even though they are diehard americans.

Not sure how many people from Europe are on these forums as well-any thoughts would help.

And in case anyone is curious, no I did not come from Wuhan (I'm Korean American) and I work as an emergency room doctor, so yes I'm seeing the COVID in first person. It sucks having to go to work and put your life on the line. And those of you staying home, thanks for making it easier for us on the front lines!
As a fellow Doctor, I would not be worried about discrimination on your trip. You and your friend should have a fabulous time and Europe and the rest of the World will be in good spirits after being locked up. I might be concerned about Condor Airlines and if they will be viable when you want to travel. You might want to spend the $200 to bail and if that is not an option, watch if they cancel the flight and are forced to give you a full cash refund. Right now, there are plenty of inexpensive ways using points or cheap upgrades to fly Business on more reputable carriers.
mendacio likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by brandie
Thank you for your service as an Emergency Room doctor.
+100
mendacio likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.