Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Did you get Covid-19 on a flight? / Spread of Coronavirus on a plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did you get Covid-19 on a flight? / Spread of Coronavirus on a plane

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:03 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by radonc1
There are few who should be on the road traveling unless they are medical professionals on their way to staff a hot spot (and perhaps you are and LA is ) or involved with the abatement of this plague.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Exactly. Other than those specific situations, there is no such thing as a "critical" project. Any company that requires travel right now should be heavily fined and held criminally liable for any repercussions.
Unfortunately, many of us work in other "necessary" sectors that still need to travel for critical projects. We manufacture chemicals used in a plethora if industries, but the critical ones now are basically used in infrastructure repair (buildings, water/power supply), transportation (cars, trains, buses and planes), military and medical supplies (masks, respirator seals, ear plugs, hospital beds, etc). So we still have customers that need support in increasing output, testing repairs being done, subbing for another product that another manufacturer deemed "unnecessary", etc. We're definitely not sending anyone to sales calls, conferences, internal meetings, training sessions, but we still have essential projects that are now more critical than ever.
JDiver, MSPeconomist and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Unfortunately, many of us work in other "necessary" sectors that still need to travel for critical projects. We manufacture chemicals used in a plethora if industries, but the critical ones now are basically used in infrastructure repair (buildings, water/power supply), transportation (cars, trains, buses and planes), military and medical supplies (masks, respirator seals, ear plugs, hospital beds, etc). So we still have customers that need support in increasing output, testing repairs being done, subbing for another product that another manufacturer deemed "unnecessary", etc. We're definitely not sending anyone to sales calls, conferences, internal meetings, training sessions, but we still have essential projects that are now more critical than ever.
I believe the above description of work would, in my mind, fall under the "abatement of plague" clause
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A false sense of security. COVID is not airborne, so a mask does not prevent you from getting it unless someone is spitting or breathing on you. And if you have not been trained to use one of these masks properly, you are actually at a greater risk of contracting a disease because you will touch your face more often than someone without a mask.
I am very pleased that this isn't what is [now] being said. Most of that is terrible advice.

Wearing a N95+ mask, non-vented goggles, and using hand-sanitizer & washing hands regularly is a GOOD method in preventing spreading or contracting SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19.

(BTW, are there ANY reports that show someone actually contracted COVID-19 by touching their N95 mask?)
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I'm curious to follow this thread as I think the international flights to AsiaPac would've detected passengers at the airport prior to boarding aircraft (Singapore, HKG) as they checked everyone temperature. Versus domestic or Europe which basically did nothing and UA would simply have to transport passengers independent of their condition. If can add the route of the aircraft you believe might assist?
Temperature taking is meaningless for those who may be asymptomatic but infectious.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I was in call for a USAF Air Traffic Control team that responded when a major breakdown or occurrence got manageable by the local technicians / engineers occurred. ATC has lots of redundancy - entire backup transmitter and receivers are on “warm” standby. But if the primary “breaks”, though the backup ideally seamlessly takes over, repairs need to be effectuated ASAP. We were on two hour alert for the western USA, Asia and Pacific. We’d use whatever got us, our tools and spares there fastest - sometimes military, sometimes commercial (which sometimes meant bumping passengers and removing some baggage to accommodate us). There are many professions and demands out there that require travel, regardless of conditions.
MSPeconomist and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I didn't but I know of a JFK > SDQ Flight on delta 2 or 3 days ago where 6 people tested positive for COVID-19 when they were rappid tested in the Dominican Republic.

So I wonder if anyone on that flight got it from those 6 people. I know all passengers are on a military base being quarantined for 14 days.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
A friend likely did, on a WN flight HOU-LAS in early March.

On her flight, a customer had a high fever and was pacing up and down the aisle in discomfort. The flight attendants alternated between handing the man damp paper towels, still making and handing out drinks + snack, and picking up the used paper towels soaked with sweat from the ill passenger. No glove changes in between. The FA commented several times "you're my medical emergency for the day" to the man.

Our friend got ill a couple days later with dry cough which turned into tightness breathing, which made it hard for her to speak a few words of a sentence without a struggle. She recovered, and tested negative some time later due (test delays).
​​​
Irony was she tried to get on our earlier flight and was denied.
We flew from an international city and made it thru HOU global entry in plenty of time to catch an earler connection to LAS with plenty of room. My family got on the earlier flight due to A-List status.
​​​​​Our friend without status was denied due to policy (despite the earlier flight was not even bookable for $ due to minimum connect time)
​​​​

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 6, 2020 at 10:05 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Taiwan CDC/CECC announced 12 cases on CI 11 JFK-TPE on 30 March.

They suspect people were infected before boarding the flight. Apparently the flight was pretty full with 327 passengers and 13 cabin crew (a lot of Taiwanese are rushing back home as they feel safer there) - all quarantined now.

They even published the seat numbers:

36C
40H
42G
47B
49E
49F
65H
65J
66H
67C

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flyertalk.com-vbulletin/748x300/5e902cb4f3cb3_e21392a71a72747346427f461fcea770db3d ca3c.jpg

777-300ER: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/China_Airlines/China_Airlines_Boeing_777-300ER.php

Last edited by username; Apr 15, 2020 at 12:15 am Reason: Case #12 on the same flight announced - seat unknown.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I actually DO think I got covid on a flight back in mid February. I even took a picture of the guy across the aisle from me at the time because he freaked us all out so much. I’ll be getting the antibody test later this week to see if I indeed did have it (since we’ve seen stay at home for nearly a month now I don’t imagine it would have occurred during the past month). We’ll see.
Sorry to hijack a bit but please tell me how you are getting the antibody test? I am trying to find a way. I did have a similar flight experience, actually. I can't figure out where to even find this test.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
Sorry to hijack a bit but please tell me how you are getting the antibody test? I am trying to find a way. I did have a similar flight experience, actually. I can't figure out where to even find this test.
it varies by county and location. I'm right next to Standford and they were doing a antibody testing protocol and now rolling it out more in the bay area.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I’m also very interested in this! Presently in Japan and think I got it on a UA flight in Jan or Feb. Maybe even December. Was back and forth from Asia to US every week...
Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:48 am

We had a similar flight experience and would love to get an antibody test, any ideas here in the UK, we seem to be way behind everywhere else?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's not NECESSARILY airborne. .
All evidence points to covid being airborne via aerosols. The initial claims were made prematurely due to the difficulty of capturing & testing aerosols. However now scientists find heavy deposits of covid on surfaces (e.g. floors) where it could only be deposited by settled aerosol droplets.
mimix3 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Close friends traveled from SYD/SFO on UA when their World Cruise was cancelled 3 months early. They were on a small cruise ship and no one was sick. About 2 weeks after arriving in U.S. one of them tested positive. She did not have to be hospitalized but is home and feels horrible. She and her Dr. are convinced she got the virus on the long flight. They were in F but plane was packed with pax leaving SYD before mandatory quarantine.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by paulaf
We had a similar flight experience and would love to get an antibody test, any ideas here in the UK, we seem to be way behind everywhere else?
Some of the places on Harley street have them. £250 a pop. 92% accurate according to my boss who tested negative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.