Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who's still on the road?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Who's still on the road?

Just curious, who out here is still on the road? What's the situation like for you?

I'm staying at a rental condo about 3 hours away from home. I'm still driving home on the weekends. It's down to ~2 hours now without traffic, which is a bit of a bonus. The condo's a mixed blessing. A full kitchen and washer/dryer is very much appreciated at this time. It's quiet, very quiet -- I'm the only one in the building. All of the snowbirds have fled. Having restaurants/parks/gyms/retail closed is quite isolating. I find myself driving around for entertainment. Costco is nearby, as are a couple of grocery stores. Reduced hours (damn!), but open and in various levels of stock. There are a few local restaurants who are selling regular food & goods (eggs, meat, toilet paper, cleaners) over the counter, taking the stress out of shopping.

At the same time I miss seeing the same faces at the hotel restaurant/bar/front desk when coming back to a hotel each night. I also miss the stability of hotel internet connections. This place has Comcast and it's about as stable as a serial killer. Down 6-10 hours at a time for "scheduled maintenance" multiple times a week. Comcast reps are useless.

The global events are going to mean an absolute deluge of work for my current employer in the next 3-9 months, so we're starting to draw up our expansion plans to accommodate it. A lot of changes need to be made to handle the work. So, the next 3 months will be busy. The office is quiet for now. Most people are working from home, except the owner, an admin asst, and myself. Downtown's a ghost town. It's been getting quieter each week, with more stores and restaurants closing down but now it's eerie. No cars, no people. This week the majority of restaurants downtown shuttered entirely, some for good. Since restaurants are take-out/delivery only, I find myself going for walks at lunch time rather than eating out.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:27 pm

I was originally planning a reduced contact trip getting there by plane. Then it was a driving vacation while eating food in the car, no restaurants. Now it's a local driving trip, seeing things from the car and not getting out at all.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
My usual work is within 4 hours/200miles of home in locked facilities. In the past I'd stay overnight & eat at local restaurants, but now those are all day trips. I bring my own food from home and minimize the public contact I have (basically getting gas at cardlock stations, no store/restaurant stops). At the work locations, I bring in as few tools as I need, sanitize around me, wash hands regularly, and sanitize tools and hands before putting them back in my vehicle. Sometimes a very long day. Traffic is extremely light but OTR truck traffic is a perhaps bit more. Notice that are less and less cars in the downtown lots where my regular office is.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.