FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus and travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/)
-   -   Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2014647-would-you-take-vacation-now-even-social-distancing.html)

enviroian Mar 29, 2020 6:59 pm

Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ?

Okay, I know we are all going stir crazy being indoors. I want to go to Scottsdale next weekend. I plan to socially distance myself as I'm doing now. I called the Embassy Suites Scottsdale and the gym and pool are still open and they are just advising people to socially distance their lounge chairs from each other and she indicated this has been going on with no problem.

I want to get away to enjoy a different view, relax at the pool and enjoy some drinks in my room followed by my favorite go-to pizza pie delivery (Barros).

Thoughts? I will be not be around people any different than I am right now (at a local park with a cold one). The planes are empty and flight attendants are asking to social distance.

thelark Mar 29, 2020 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32245974)
Okay, I know we are all going stir crazy being indoors. I want to go to Scottsdale next weekend. I plan to socially distance myself as I'm doing now. I called the Embassy Suites Scottsdale and the gym and pool are still open and they are just advising people to socially distance their lounge chairs from each other and she indicated this has been going on with no problem.

I want to get away to enjoy a different view, relax at the pool and enjoy some drinks in my room followed by my favorite go-to pizza pie delivery (Barros).

Thoughts? I will be not be around people any different than I am right now (at a local park with a cold one). The planes are empty and flight attendants are asking to social distance.

i wouldn’t do it.

enviroian Mar 29, 2020 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by thelark (Post 32245989)
i wouldn’t do it.

what is your biggest concern of where you think you could get infected? Just curious.

kipper Mar 29, 2020 7:08 pm

I wouldn't go.

corky Mar 29, 2020 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32245994)
what is your biggest concern of where you think you could get infected? Just curious.

Hot 22 year old girl by the pool.

aztimm Mar 29, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm trying to keep this thread in the Texas forum up to date with the latest info. There are currently no restrictions on entry to Texas from Arizona, but that could easily change (you'd need to self-quarantine if you visit California, among other places):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texa...s-updates.html

And no, I have no plans to travel by plane, possibly this fall.

enviroian Mar 29, 2020 7:11 pm

The odd thing is the Biltmore and a few other Scottsdale properties are sold out next weekend (?!)

enviroian Mar 29, 2020 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32246002)
I'm trying to keep this thread in the Texas forum up to date with the latest info. There are currently no restrictions on entry to Texas from Arizona, but that could easily change (you'd need to self-quarantine if you visit California, among other places):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texa...s-updates.html

And no, I have no plans to travel by plane, possibly this fall.

Thanks

AZ has not been hit relatively hard.

aztimm Mar 29, 2020 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32246010)
Thanks

AZ has not been hit relatively hard.

Per capita, Texas is among the lowest states right now. Given how quickly things move, I really wouldn't travel anywhere right now, especially outside of the state.
If you do go, make sure you have a solid 2-week supply at home for when you come back, in case you need to self-isolate.

enviroian Mar 29, 2020 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32246016)
Per capita, Texas is among the lowest states right now. Given how quickly things move, I really wouldn't travel anywhere right now, especially outside of the state.
If you do go, make sure you have a solid 2-week supply at home for when you come back, in case you need to self-isolate.

2 week supply of what? Toilet paper?

I'm home officing now and zero work travel like anyone else so worst comes to worst and AA cancels all flights I just drive back.

CPRich Mar 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32246025)
so worst comes to worst

That's not really the worst that could happen....

aztimm Mar 29, 2020 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32246025)
2 week supply of what? Toilet paper?

I'm home officing now and zero work travel like anyone else so worst comes to worst and AA cancels all flights I just drive back.

2 weeks of self-isolating means you don't go anywhere. So you'd need enough food and whatever else you think you might need to last you for 2 weeks.
The current group of travelers who are required to self-isolate in Texas complete a form on the plane. Then DPS checks in on them daily. So be prepared for that.

enviroian Mar 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32246044)
2 weeks of self-isolating means you don't go anywhere. So you'd need enough food and whatever else you think you might need to last you for 2 weeks.
The current group of travelers who are required to self-isolate in Texas complete a form on the plane. Then DPS checks in on them daily. So be prepared for that.

but not travelers ex-Phx

Boggie Dog Mar 29, 2020 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 32246044)

Even with self isolation I think food could still be delivered. I've been watching Dallas County numbers and they are headed up. Think I'd stay put for now.

I have a minor medical procedure scheduled for this Friday at a freestanding clinic. Giving a lot of thought to postponing since it is something I can safely skip and I would be considered high risk if exposed to COVID-19.

corky Mar 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Ian, it is not just keeping a distance. It is also wiping down surfaces that others may have touched, wearing gloves etc. That doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me. I don't know what your weather is but can't you just hang by your own pool?