Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ?

Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ?

Old Mar 29, 20, 6:59 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 21,486
Would you take a vacation now, even with social distancing ?

Okay, I know we are all going stir crazy being indoors. I want to go to Scottsdale next weekend. I plan to socially distance myself as I'm doing now. I called the Embassy Suites Scottsdale and the gym and pool are still open and they are just advising people to socially distance their lounge chairs from each other and she indicated this has been going on with no problem.

I want to get away to enjoy a different view, relax at the pool and enjoy some drinks in my room followed by my favorite go-to pizza pie delivery (Barros).

Thoughts? I will be not be around people any different than I am right now (at a local park with a cold one). The planes are empty and flight attendants are asking to social distance.
enviroian is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:04 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Posts: 7,340
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Okay, I know we are all going stir crazy being indoors. I want to go to Scottsdale next weekend. I plan to socially distance myself as I'm doing now. I called the Embassy Suites Scottsdale and the gym and pool are still open and they are just advising people to socially distance their lounge chairs from each other and she indicated this has been going on with no problem.

I want to get away to enjoy a different view, relax at the pool and enjoy some drinks in my room followed by my favorite go-to pizza pie delivery (Barros).

Thoughts? I will be not be around people any different than I am right now (at a local park with a cold one). The planes are empty and flight attendants are asking to social distance.
i wouldn’t do it.
thelark is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:07 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 21,486
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
i wouldn’t do it.
what is your biggest concern of where you think you could get infected? Just curious.
enviroian is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:08 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 45,072
I wouldn't go.
kipper is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:09 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 23,032
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
what is your biggest concern of where you think you could get infected? Just curious.
Hot 22 year old girl by the pool.
flipstah likes this.
corky is online now  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:10 pm
  #6  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Posts: 12,105
I'm trying to keep this thread in the Texas forum up to date with the latest info. There are currently no restrictions on entry to Texas from Arizona, but that could easily change (you'd need to self-quarantine if you visit California, among other places):
Texas COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

And no, I have no plans to travel by plane, possibly this fall.
aztimm is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:11 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 21,486
The odd thing is the Biltmore and a few other Scottsdale properties are sold out next weekend (?!)
enviroian is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:13 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 21,486
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
I'm trying to keep this thread in the Texas forum up to date with the latest info. There are currently no restrictions on entry to Texas from Arizona, but that could easily change (you'd need to self-quarantine if you visit California, among other places):
Texas COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

And no, I have no plans to travel by plane, possibly this fall.
Thanks

AZ has not been hit relatively hard.
enviroian is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:17 pm
  #9  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Posts: 12,105
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Thanks

AZ has not been hit relatively hard.
Per capita, Texas is among the lowest states right now. Given how quickly things move, I really wouldn't travel anywhere right now, especially outside of the state.
If you do go, make sure you have a solid 2-week supply at home for when you come back, in case you need to self-isolate.
aztimm is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:21 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 21,486
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Per capita, Texas is among the lowest states right now. Given how quickly things move, I really wouldn't travel anywhere right now, especially outside of the state.
If you do go, make sure you have a solid 2-week supply at home for when you come back, in case you need to self-isolate.
2 week supply of what? Toilet paper?

I'm home officing now and zero work travel like anyone else so worst comes to worst and AA cancels all flights I just drive back.
enviroian is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:25 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 28,242
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
so worst comes to worst
That's not really the worst that could happen....
CPRich is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:26 pm
  #12  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Posts: 12,105
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
2 week supply of what? Toilet paper?

I'm home officing now and zero work travel like anyone else so worst comes to worst and AA cancels all flights I just drive back.
2 weeks of self-isolating means you don't go anywhere. So you'd need enough food and whatever else you think you might need to last you for 2 weeks.
The current group of travelers who are required to self-isolate in Texas complete a form on the plane. Then DPS checks in on them daily. So be prepared for that.
aztimm is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:45 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 21,486
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
2 weeks of self-isolating means you don't go anywhere. So you'd need enough food and whatever else you think you might need to last you for 2 weeks.
The current group of travelers who are required to self-isolate in Texas complete a form on the plane. Then DPS checks in on them daily. So be prepared for that.
but not travelers ex-Phx
enviroian is offline  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:46 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,717
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
2 weeks of self-isolating means you don't go anywhere. So you'd need enough food and whatever else you think you might need to last you for 2 weeks.
The current group of travelers who are required to self-isolate in Texas complete a form on the plane. Then DPS checks in on them daily. So be prepared for that.
Even with self isolation I think food could still be delivered. I've been watching Dallas County numbers and they are headed up. Think I'd stay put for now.

I have a minor medical procedure scheduled for this Friday at a freestanding clinic. Giving a lot of thought to postponing since it is something I can safely skip and I would be considered high risk if exposed to COVID-19.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Mar 29, 20, 7:59 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 23,032
Ian, it is not just keeping a distance. It is also wiping down surfaces that others may have touched, wearing gloves etc. That doesn't sound like much of a vacation to me. I don't know what your weather is but can't you just hang by your own pool?
corky is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: