Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Partial refunds for early closures [merged Coronavirus and ski passes thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott

Has anyone heard of Ikon or Epic providing a meaningful gesture to pass holders? The closure of most North American resorts in the middle of this last weekend means many who were expecting to “break even” on their passes with spring break skiing will be staying at home, myself included.

Partial refunds aren’t unheard of. If I recall correctly, Squaw provided partial refunds to pass holders a few years ago following a low snow season, with refunds based on days skied. Even with days skied marked at walk-up value, it was still a nice gesture.

Even if their stance is that the pass is non-refundable, it would be nice if they provided a bigger discount to renewing pass holders.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 18, 2020 at 4:21 pm Reason: Better title
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: AS 75K, AS 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold Plus
Vail resorts (Epic Passes) posted this:
To the extent that any of our resorts re-open during the season, your pass will be valid.
Pursuant to the terms of all season pass and Epic Day Pass products, they are non-refundable and non-transferable to another season. We will be reviewing these policies and providing any updated guidance in the coming weeks.

There may be some hope...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Maybe if you can prove you were going to one of their resorts to ski, they may do something.. but not going to hold my breath...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Vail will NOT refund. I know a bunch of people who bought them and were using them this month finally on trips. Its Vail so doesnt surprise me.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esquiar
..........Even if their stance is that the pass is non-refundable, it would be nice if they provided a bigger discount to renewing pass holders.
I don't think refund is realistic. I had to cancel 11 ski days for March/April. Let's hope there is a decent discount for renewal.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: BA, KLM
Originally Posted by bzman
Vail resorts (Epic Passes) posted this:
To the extent that any of our resorts re-open during the season, your pass will be valid.
Pursuant to the terms of all season pass and Epic Day Pass products, they are non-refundable and non-transferable to another season. We will be reviewing these policies and providing any updated guidance in the coming weeks.

There may be some hope...
Bob Hope or no hope?

Vail Resort are not known for their generosity. 5 years I have bought this pass from the UK - unfortunately I will not be using it at Whistler in two weeks time now.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Southwest Companion
Haven't heard anything yet. Longtime epic local pass (well, equivalent depending on name change over the years) holder...considering a chargeback to dispute directly to my credit card since they have not delivered on their services, very disappointed by Vail's cold response to loyal customers. Myself included, I know many who wait until spring for the majority of their ski days.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ellvizzle
Haven't heard anything yet. Longtime epic local pass (well, equivalent depending on name change over the years) holder...considering a chargeback to dispute directly to my credit card since they have not delivered on their services, very disappointed by Vail's cold response to loyal customers. Myself included, I know many who wait until spring for the majority of their ski days.
Chargebacks are for clear-cut cases of fraud, not a remedy for bad luck closing facilities early. From the resort’s perspective, how is this different from a drought? They can’t guarantee the closing date will be past mid-March in the best of times.

I’m in the same boat in terms of disappointment, but I’m worried that the deluge of chargebacks will cause a crackdown that makes it harder for consumers to recover money in clear-cut cases. That’s why ball is in Vail’s court to provide a goodwill gesture.
TerryK and Ted S like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I had trips planned for this weekend and the first weekend in April. I still got something like 20 ski days in this season though. I think they should provide a discount on next season's pass if you can show confirmed flights/hotels.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
There is a big difference between the undesirability of skiing and the inability to ski at all. With both Epic and Ikon passes, there are many mountains to choose from and snow making is quite common which means that even in a terrible snow year pass holders can find somewhere to ski.

Because my children and I compete in other sports, my family almost never skis until March or April. For someone who prefers skiing black and double black runs, there many not always be options to challenge one's ability but there should be an opportunity to ski at one of the included resorts in March and/or April. My family has skied many times at Whistler which closed on May 27 in 2019 and was previously scheduled to close this year on May 25.

Although I am highlighting the difference between not being able to ski at any of the covered mountains after a certain date and not believing the conditions are worthwhile, I am not commenting on whether or not Epic or Ikon pass holders will or should refunds.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I got some ski passes in Europe refunded by saying that the travel bans made it impossible for me to ski given the restrictions and compliance requirements at the moment. The last one that made a fuss is still open, but they didn’t fuss over refunding the ski pass and prepaid rental equipment but seemed to indicate that they would refuse refunds for unused lodging and transport packages.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: WN, UA, AA
Consensus on the ski forums is a resounding 'No refunds'. But there is hope for extended early sales or deeper discounts.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by TerryK
I don't think refund is realistic. I had to cancel 11 ski days for March/April. Let's hope there is a decent discount for renewal.
I just received a mailing. Ikon's current discount for unlimited pass renewals is $100 (varies by product)

I've been a Mountain Collective holder for years. There's no renewal discount there.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AMflier
I just received a mailing. Ikon's current discount for unlimited pass renewals is $100 (varies by product)

I've been a Mountain Collective holder for years. There's no renewal discount there.
The $100/$50 discount for unlimited/base was their initial game plan. I was planning to renew Ikon base but will not absent a deeper discount or some other gesture... maybe get the cheaper Mtn Collective and call it good
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: Lifetime UA GS, 4.5MM, AA ExPlat, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
The only week I was using my Epic Pass was the week they cancelled...so I used no days...sucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.